AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking in the forum for a little while now looking at suggestions people are giving and I've come up with some thoughts for my system. I'm looking at spending $1000 to $1200 for a 5.1 system AND the AVR. I'm currently leaning towards a refurb H/K 254 or 354 off ebay for $250-$300. Is that a good choice? I'm also considering the Onkyo SR607 and the Pioneer VSX-919AH if I buy new.

So I've got a budget of ~$800 for the speakers. Here are the options I've come up with:

Infinity

P362 fronts, C350 center, P162 surrounds

Premier Acoustic PA-120 sub
http://theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html

~$820

Jamo

E660 fronts and surrounds, S60 center

~$610
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._-1__0_0_0_-1/

There used to be a package that had E680s as the fronts which would have been preferable.

The Speaker Company

TST1 fronts, TC2 center, TSB surrounds, T250 sub

~$790
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TST...ge-P121C7.aspx

Site was down when I posted this, but I think that's the link. You can find it with the Google cache.

What do you guys think about these options? I've seen the PA-120 recommended before, so I chose that to go with the 5.0 systems. The BIC F12 is an option too. The room size is about 18x18, but is an L-shape. The actual listening area is maybe 12x12. I haven't moved in yet and don't have exact measurements. The back is open to a stairway.

Edit:

This will be mainly used for HT, not much music.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am a bargain hunter and love to buy things at a great deal. I owned HK 254 from Harman Audio and Infinity Primus. Those are two of my best buy so far with HT. I built my Infinity P362 set and I can't believe what I am getting out of these speakers.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would go with the Infinities. For home theater, higher sensitivity means greater dynamic response. If it was up against the TST3 speakers from TSC, I might have a tougher time deciding. I think the jamos and TST1s would be fine speakers, but I have a tough time believing they could outperform the P362s. I already have some p362s, but I still have to fight against the urge to go out and get some more everytime Fry's has that sale because of the sheer value you get with that!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kinda the way I was leaning, the P362s get quite a bit of praise on here. I imagine that whatever I get will be a significant improvement over what I have now. I'm currently rocking an Aiwa CD jukebox mini system with two speakers and a powered sub.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by compunerd632 /forum/post/17009063

Jamo

E660 fronts and surrounds, S60 center

~$610
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._-1__0_0_0_-1/

There used to be a package that had E680s as the fronts which would have been preferable.

Some people on this forum were able to special order Jamo 680s in Cherry from WWStereo. You'll need to call them for that.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
With regards to your Primus setup, If your room is small, or you will be sitting close to the speakers, you may even be able to get by with all bookshelfs and be able to save a couple bucks. If not, go as big as possible

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I'm having second thoughts on the Infinities since I didn't really consider shipping in my budget. Are there any places other than Audio Video Source that I could compare prices and shipping to?

I'm starting to lean towards the TSC setup because I can get free shipping and the 30 day in-home trial. This seems like a good deal since I probably won't get to listen to anything before I buy them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me throw another option out there. I configured a system at Elemental Designs with:

A6-6T6-MTM pair for fronts

A6-5T5-MTM single for center

A3-5TC pair for surrounds

A2-250 sub

~$815

How would this compare with the setup from TSC? The surrounds are quite a bit smaller and they don't have a woofer like the TSC towers. Also, they are 6 ohm speakers and have lower sensitivity than the TSC speakers. Would a Harman Kardon AVR-254 have enough power to drive these? I imagine that the ED system would win in the sub department though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another idea:

Polk Monitor 60 as fronts, CS10 as center, and Monitor 40 as surrounds.

Pair this with a BIC F12 or PA-120.

$~750

Any thoughts on these alternatives? Do you think the H/K 254 is powerful enough to run any of these combos?

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by compunerd632 /forum/post/17016017

Now I'm having second thoughts on the Infinities since I didn't really consider shipping in my budget. Are there any places other than Audio Video Source that I could compare prices and shipping to?

I'm starting to lean towards the TSC setup because I can get free shipping and the 30 day in-home trial. This seems like a good deal since I probably won't get to listen to anything before I buy them.

TSC fan: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=252

1 - 10 of 10 Posts