AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of times I've missed a recording and have then noticed an entry in the Replay guide about the show with a "nothing currently scheduled to record" notation.

These are always one of a kind recordings. My Replay show and theme channels always work fine.

I usually run through the guide once every several days hitting "record this show" on several programs. A while ago I noticed after a few days the Replay guide would show "record Modern Marvels" but there would be no day or time. If you went into "record options" and just hit "done", the date and time would be restored.

Today I found out why. Last night I checked and everything was fine. When I got up this morning I had the lock screen "checking for Replay software" (dial-up connection). Upon rebooting there was a message that a guaranteed recording failed due to network operation. In checking the one of a kind record channels, they were all blank for date and time. Going into the record options and not making any changes, just hitting "DONE", the date and times were restored.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm seeing something like this as well. I just purchased my 5040 last night, and am still learning it.

All of my guarantee records are failing saying "The guaranteed record of was discarded because a network operation was in progress."

I'm setup on dial-up at the moment, as I didn't have a long enough ethernet cable to connect to the internet yet.

Any idea what my ReplayTV is trying to do--cuz it's not recording!

Thanks.

-m

·
Registered
146 Posts
Usually the first time you machine connects it has to upgrade the software version, and this takes a long time via dialup. Your best bet is to get a long ethernet cable, setup the machine to use the network and then force a network connection. From a live show, hit 243 then hit the zones key. That will bring up a hidden menu where there is a "Net connect" button. That forces a connection. It work the same for dialup but large downloads can take a long time via dialup.

-Bill

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Invisik,

That is not the same thing. What you have is the current bug that is being worked on. Your machine is locking up and locked up it is not going to record. You have to reboot the machine. You may be able to fix this by lowering the baud rate to 33k or 28.8.

The problem I described is that when this lockup occurs it voids the time and date of my 1-time recordings, so even if I looked at my machine immediately after the dial-in lockup and rebooted it, it STILL would not make these recordings util I fixed the individual recordings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have the same problem, and have read of many other people with the same problem. I wondering if anyone has noticed a change since the last update?

I have not received the update yet so I don't know

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What version are you running? The last update was a month ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
What version are you running? The last update was a month ago.
I still have the January version. Since my unit locks up during the nightly connect I have to do a manual connect to update my guide. I only do this once or twice a week so that may be why I haven't got it yet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
At least I now know I am not alone. I was set up to record Lucy. The 3 hour movie. Saturday it locked up checking for new software. I didn't see it until about 6 in the afternoon on Sunday. I saw that Lucy was not scheduled to record. So I checked. It was in the replay guide. 3 hours with nothing scheduled to record. I have had SS for a couple of years. I don't recall ever seeing this problem before. Does any know why it is locking up on the nightly download? I also got the message that a show did not record because of a network operation. Has any one called SB and talked about this? I have a 5060 from Costco.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Yeah a lot of people have reported the lockup (no response to remote,

only thing you can do is reboot) during nightly dialup. If you use ethernet,

the lockup is not present, ever. Many people with dialup have resorted

to disconnecting their phone line, and manually net connecting once a week

so they be on hand to monitor the net connect for lockups.

adone36 has a separate problem that may be related to the lockup where

the single-records lose their memory and forget which date they should

be recording.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He has the same problem. His machine locked up Sunday early AM. He discovered it at 6. Lucy was in the Replay Guide with no date or time. It would have recorded if you went to change "record options", did nothing, and hit "done". The date and time would have miraculously appeared and it would have recorded later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thought I was going crazy! I got one of the Costco 5060's so I moved my 5040 off ethernet. As soon as I started using the dial up, I found it frozen in the morning! Never had a problem when it was on ethernet.

I hope the new release will address this or I'll end up buying a bridge.

Anybody know if they're going to activate USB/802.11 or not in the new update? A USB 802.11 adapter would be a heck of a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sleepingdog
A USB 802.11 adapter would be a heck of a lot cheaper!
But only works with one unit, and we know you really want to run out and buy a few more 5xxx's now that you've figured out you are not crazy :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is anyone outraged about this? What we have are units that are not functioning as advertised. I just paid $450 including activation for a unit that does not do what it is supposed to do. I have 2 SS a couple of years old that work. Now I buy a new unit and it doesn't work. I wonder if I can get my activation money back? It just locked up on me for the second time in 3 days. I called Tech support and the guy I spoke to did not know when the problem was going to be fixed. This doesn't appear to be a bug to me. This unit does not work. The box says a choice of dial up or ethernet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am bringing this back up to the front. Does anyone know if the new software will fix this problem? This unit is not going to do me any good when I go on vacation if it is going to lock up on me. I am thinking about having a friend come over every day to see if the 5060 is locked up.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, they're still working on it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It has been another 2 weeks. Any word on this yet? How am I going to get version 5 of the software if everytime it tries to download the software it locks up. Beside not being able to record any shows.

I was going to buy another 5000 series but I can't now. It can't be trusted to even be up and running the next day. I guess I should have stuck with my SS units. At least they are up and running everyday.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They have made a change. Instead of locking up at "transferring additional info", the unit "times out" there after 10-15 minutes.

The good news is the unit is not locked, so it will probably record scheduled shows.

The bad news is that when this happens (ie: every night), you have to reboot the machine because the modem is locked up and you will get "unable to contact server" when it tries to dial if you don't reboot.

As to new software, there is another thread where someone says V5.0 is no longer being pushed and DNNA is waiting to fix this bug before resuming the 5.0 push with a new build.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Allen,

I misread your post. I see you have V4.5. I have 5.0 bld 73. Someone mentioned that "transferring add'l info" means it is trying to get myreplaytv updates. If you cancel your myreplaytv account, it will skip this. Then it will most likely lock on "checking for new ReplayTv software" because there is no new software. If there WAS new software scheduled for your macjhine at this point it probably would not lock up, but would download OK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.