AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Pioneer 503CMX/5002 and after having set it up have experienced a buzzing sound with the unit, particularly on video with highly saturated bright colors. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm thinking of returning the unit.

Steve

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
hslewis:

This is an old and very well documented problem. Some people get buzzing panels and some don't. It seems to be the luck of the draw. There was a long thread some time back started by Rogo on this. He documented the problem and what Pioneer did or did not do for him.

I recommend you ask your dealer to exchange the panel. You might be lucky the second time around.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Return the unit NOW. Consider an exchange, but get that buzzer out of your life before it's too late.

Search "The Saga of the Buzzing Pioneer" using the Slowest Search option for why.

·
Registered
79 Posts
re hitachi cmp5000 vs pioneer; they r the same and I have experienced no buzz. Yoou might consider a cmp5000. I have n't experienced buzz, but I;m not sure if its luck. About 35% of cmx 503 owners complain of this problem; it appears to be a quality control issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback,

I will call Dell ASAP to see about getting a replacement unit. Hope I don't have to go thru too many to get a non Buzzer.....

Generally speaking beyond the buzzing issue, I have been happy with the PQ when using it with a HTPC with DVI, though the S-video with a Directv STB leaves something to be desired... will have to look into a HD STB.

Steve

Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
FineChina,
Quote:
About 50% of cmx 503 owners complain of this problem;
Can you elablorate on where you got this assertation?

According to this poll, Poll: Pioneer 503cmx buzzing? , ~87% of 503CMX owner do not hear a buzz that is bothersome from normal viewing distances.

BTW, there are a lot of threads on this forum regarding buzzing in other brands of plasma display (e.g. Panasonic). Furthermore, as you frequently point out, a sample of one buzz-free Hitachi is not proof of superior quality control.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hadn't looked at that poll for 3 months. I did that on my memory, and I guess this just demonstrates what some here have posted..that the unhappy are more likely to post and my memory is more likely to remember those...you are right it looks like 35% have noticeable buzz. I thought it was higher when I had looked at it months ago. I'd also read several reviews commenting on it.... I am going to reedit my post. Thx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked to Dell and arranged for a replacement 503... Amazing customer support... absolutely no hassle it getting a replacement unit.

Keep my fingers crossed that my luck will be a little better this time around.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Good luck, but I hope you don't exchange one issue for another, or maybe end up with both- Pixels and buzzing.

Dave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Problem pixel or two - you'll never notice it in regular use.

Buzz = unacceptable.

·
Registered
981 Posts
100% of my 503cmx's buzz(ed). The replacement from Dell sounded just like the original - easily audible at 20 feet. I am pretty sensitive to sound. I'm building a false wall around it so I didn't bother pushing my luck for a 3rd one from Dell. It should soon be a mute point.

Catch the pun? ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I live in a very quite place and am very sensitive to extraneous noise (see some of my old posts on the TiVo forum concerning drive and fan noise). If my Pioneer buzzed at all I would definitely return it. Fortunately, it is dead quiet. It can be done . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.