AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my old 3060 has given up the ghost, so I ordered a 5040 from buy.com. It arrived today and I hooked it up to my home network, but all I get is the "Please Wait" screen. The screen flickers every minute or so, at which time the LAN light on my Linksys WET-11 flickers also. I also tried hooking it up directly to my router with the same results. I've left it sitting for at least 20 minutes with no change.

Do I have a DOA unit or does it really take this long to initialize?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've heard of it taking up to 30 mins. If you have DHCP enabled... then disable it and try again. If you have it disabled (are you sure you do?) then enable it.

You may still have a DOA unit, but you've got to try again. Also.. try disconnecting the ethernet cable altogether... does it still not come up?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got mine last night..took a little bit, but eventually connected...I waited for all the screens to come up, and only plugged in the ethernet when it asked for a connection choice...then finished setup and it went thru just fine....

·
Registered
606 Posts
20 minutes is longer than it should sit at that screen. First thing is to try and warn reboot the 5040 by turning the unit off, then pressing the power button for about 10-15 seconds - the power light will turn on, then eventually turn off. If that doesn't work, try a cold reboot - unplug the unit and replug it in.

I just setup a new unit last night and had a few issues connecting to the network. It did the initial setup, activation check, channel guide, etc just fine, but hung when I forced a net connect to download the latest software. I had to reboot the cable modem, router and warmboot the RTV to fix the problem.

HTH

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta love the immediate responses here!

Anyway, I've disconnected the ethernet cable and rebooted the 5040. Will let you all know what happens.

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
I've heard of it taking up to 30 mins. If you have DHCP enabled... then disable it and try again. If you have it disabled (are you sure you do?) then enable it.

You may still have a DOA unit, but you've got to try again. Also.. try disconnecting the ethernet cable altogether... does it still not come up?
Disable DHCP where? I can't disable DHCP on the 5040 since I can't get past the "Please Wait" screen.

Edit: Nevermind...brain-fart. With my PC all hooked up it never occurred to me to disable DHCP in my router.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
30 mins? I've not seen more than 10, and having a DHCP server running will cut that to a few minutes. I think my last new machine (last week) took about 4 minutes.

If it takes 30 minutes, could be a bad drive or the drive isn't connected. Can you easily return things to buy.com (never used them)? This is one of the situations when you want to just return it, get credit, and get another new one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, no joy here. The good news is that buy.com does pay for return shipping on a defective unit (I got free shipping to begin with). So now I just have to wait for them to ship me out a new 5040.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Too bad. Glad you used Buy.com.

They've got one of the best on line return policies going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.