AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up my new 5040. I had read about the fan noise with these units, but the fan on my unit is very quiet. I have to get down right to it to hear it. Apparently, it is one of the variable speed units that is temperature controlled. One thing, though, and I've seen threads about this and will do a search is that I don't have any channel guide information. The channels are there but it's just a blank grid. Maybe, it will correct itself with tonight's download or I could force a net connect. The jury is still out on whether I prefer the component or s-video feeds.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did 243 zones, it took forever to download date, and then when it got to

"checking for new Replay TV software" it froze and I had to reboot the unit.

Checking the FAQ I see that this is a known problem. Also, still no guide data. Maybe I should have stayed with the 4000 series.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
SD... did you see this post from ReplayLyndon with a possible solution to this problem?

Click here

It's a little convoluted but seems to work for many.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, on the third time I did the forced net connect it downloaded the program guide data (still froze up the unit and I had to reboot but at least I have my guide data).

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Wow, right out of the box and it doesn't work... that's pretty crappy for a CE device.

Honestly, if you were not on AVS what would you do if this is the way your first ReplayTV product worked?

I'd return in, that day.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I long for the days of my trusty Showstopper. Maybe not as technlogically advanced but it consistently did what it was supposed to do (and with better video quality). When I got up this morning I brought up my system and when my Replay came up it was stuck on "checking for new Replay TV software...". I then had to reboot it. It came from Replay with the latest software version(...1100--I assume that's the latest) but I'll try the work around from ReplayLyndon and see if that solves the problem. Whatever happened to the days of plugging in a device and then watching? Does Tivo have all these problems or is there software more stable?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SD4934
I long for the days of my trusty Showstopper. Maybe not as technlogically advanced but it consistently did what it was supposed to do (and with better video quality). Whatever happened to the days of plugging in a device and then watching? Does Tivo have all these problems or is there software more stable?
I've got an old ReplayTV RTV3060 for sale.

ReplayTV 3000's, 4000's, and TiVo's are much more stable than the 5000's. DNNA can't make ReplayTV a success until they fix this.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@arjay

does the stability (in your opinion) have to do w/ the software or the hardware of the 50xx series? just wondering.

for the record--i've had one 4504 (upgraded to 160gb) and three 5040 (1 upgraded to 160gb) units and all *knock on wood* have been fine.

sturmie

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sturmie
@arjay

does the stability (in your opinion) have to do w/ the software or the hardware of the 50xx series? just wondering.

sturmie
I'm definitely no expert on digital stuff, but IMHO the stability issues are software related. I've got a 5040, currently being replaced on an RMA, which would lock up whenever the recording buffer got full. Otherwise, after getting the new software ver. 110, it worked fine. My two 4532's work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the work around posted by ReplayLyndon. The net connect process went through without a problem (it didn't lock up). I'll see if that fixed the problem or it locks up again tonight. Also, I noticed my guide info only goes out 24 hours. Maybe tonights download will fix that. I can't imagine what somebody would do with these machines if they were not at least somewhat tech savy and knew about this board. Or maybe we are just the lucky few that get the buggy machines.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This morning it was not frozen so I guess the work around worked, at least for now. I am experiencing one more problem. The 4000 series I am sending back did the same thing. When I got home from work, the unit would not power on, so I booted it up using the front power button (just like with the 4***). A program I had set to record while I was at work had not recorded. This is the second unit that has done this (a showstopper worked perfectly for over 2 years). I'm not sure now that it is something with my cable or satellite signal that is causing the unit to freeze in standby mode. I guess I'll just boot the unit before I set any recordings.

It is getting the same signals that my Showstopper got and is connected into the same surge protector. Actually, that's not the only problem. The tuner exaccerbates the noise in one channel (NBC) that I have to watch it with a direct cable feed. Come on Replay. I'm still waiting on an airbill to return my 4***. I get my RAM # last Monday, I called a few days ago and they said I said receive it be yesterday. I'll call again Friday night if it's not in tomorow's mail. I won't RMA the 5040, I can live with it until HD PVRs come on line (one that I can use with a cable and a satellite signal so no directTv Tivo). Just had a thought about my Replay not powering up at times without a reboot. Since I can hear the hard drive spinning is it buffering a satellite or cable signal even though the unit is off and when the buffer gets full it freezes up? Of course, it doen't happen all of the time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This morning my Replay was again frozen on "checking for new ReplayTv software... I've gone from a dependable Showstopper to a much less than dependable 4*** and a buggy and undependable 5040. Does the 5500 just continue the tradition of buggy undependable products?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SD4934
Does the 5500 just continue the tradition of buggy undependable products?
Yet to be seen. There have been very few of them sold, but we haven't had any complaints yet from 5500 owners who are having problems. Mine worked fine out of the box.

Also, it remains to be seen if DNNAs first major software effort, 5.1, will improve stability on all 5000+ boxes as well. Your undependable 5040 may just turn out to be a peach after all. But only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my fingers crossed. One plus (I'll take what I can get) is that the video

quality is noticeably better on the 5040 (although still no quite as good as the showstopper). I actually prefer the component connection to the s-video output on most programming. If it wasn't for that audio hiss on one channel (it's the tuner-it's not there on a direct conection to my TV).

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You don't mention your software build. It sounds like the previous version which had a modem induced lock up caused by a truncated connect. Build 110 does not do this. In addition you should have 10 or more days of guide data. Have you had any Replay software upgrades finish? (takes about 45 min). 5500s are virtually identical to 5ks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I have build 110. The download the night before last fixed my guide data. I'm beginning to think the problem I have had with the unit powering up may be heat related. I'll give it a little more "room to breath" and see it that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.