AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I am enjoying the new 5060 from Amazon. But I was going through the menu and noticed that there were messages for me. A Welcome to ReplayTV message AND three "Important: Power Loss" messages dated, 12/31/00, 9/10/02, and 9/10/02 a couple hours later. What gives? This is supposed to be a new unit and appeared as much upon delivery. Did I get a refurb by mistake or is this normal?

TIA

:rolleyes: nobbie:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
That's normal. They are part of the installation process. The clock starts for these guys at 12/31/00 (IIRC), and the other ones are when it was tested. Looks like you got an older (new) unit, but that shouldn't matter at all, really.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew! Thanks, Lee. So, this was made around a year ago? I guess that's okay. Seems to be working fine. I'll fire up the new $130 buy.com 5040 tomorrow or the next.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've seen several 5040s fired up for the first time, and they all had those same 3 power loss messages. I figured they are in the standard disk image they load onto 5xxx machines at the factory. I doubt it has anything to do with when the particular machine was assembled or tested.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Ah, right... sorry! That makes more sense, since that was when the 5000s were getting rolling. Sorry for the little bit of misinfo! A better way to tell the age is from the S/N, but I've not ever seen a list of what was when,

In any case, I don't believe there were any major hardware changed until the *very* recent update to the fan to make it run depend on heat levels.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that makes sense. On another note, how can you tell if you have the new fan or not? Do you just listen for the fan turning off and on, while the older fan always stayed on?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Yep. From reports here people even thought their fan was broken... :)

If you have your RTV in a cool area, the fan may not be on at all, and seems to run at 3V (vs 12V on the old) so even when running it's quiet. I believe it's the same fan, just powered at a lower rate and with adjustable levels.

Put it this way. If you can't hear the fan from a few feet away in a quiet room, you have the new one. And, before you ask, I've not seen any details on upgrade kits! Now, it's sure possible that someone will figure out what was changed for the fan upgrade, if it's possible (not major mobo changes, etc.). Of course, that sort of thing would void the warranty....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.