Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought one of these sets and have a few questions for those in the know. First, this is the first projector tv I have owned, so please bear with me.

I noticed that when I put the set in 4:3 expanded with a 480i signal, then tune to espn, the ticker is cut off. Is this due to overscan and if so, can it be fixed?

Do you guys leave the anti-glare screen on? I haven't been able to A/B compare one with the screen off and on.

Does anyone know a good ISF calibrator in the Seattle area?

I have read about some of the tweaks, in that really long thread. I tried setting the values for the red push correction, but then my greens and yellows looked screwed up. I have AVIA, but am not sure if the adjustments you make in the ISF menu are real-time.

Thanks for any advice,

Allen

·
Registered
748 Posts
4:3 expanded actually zooms in just a little bit. You can go into the video settings via the remote and adjust the vertical position to your liking.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dammit is correct. "4:3 Expanded" Zooms in just a bit. I've found I can see all tickers if I go to the Vertical Position" setting in the video menu and go up 4 notches.

To be honest, of all the stretch modes I've seen, Hitachi's "4:3 Expanded" looks best.

It is my understanding that this TV looks best with the protective screen removed. I wouldn't call the screens on the SWX series "anti-glare" because all they do is cause glare.

Many well known ISF guys travel. Michael Chen and Gregg Loewen come to mind as well regarded ISF calibrators on these forums.

I'm having Gregg come out in May to do mine. You can find him at http://www.greggloewen.com and see if he has a tour coming your way soon.

Michael Chen seems to do more work in the Seattle area, so you might try him. You can get his email address at Gregg's site.

I've never been able to make many of the tweeks on these forums work well either. If I do the "red push" fix, my gray scale is still hosed, and I'm not brave enough to adjust that. I'd suggest just getting it calibrated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reponses. I am thinking of having an ISF calibration done on it and noticed that Eliab from AVICAL has a tour in the seattle area in May. At the "Spot" There is a guy whose alias is "captobvious" that is supposed to be coordinating the tour. Unfortunately, I lost my PW for that forum and can't PM him to let him know that I want to sign up. The email request for a password isn't working, either. Does anybody know this person so that I might be able to contact?

Allen

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid question. I did a search for the username "captobvious" and voila!! He is a member of this fine forum too, obviously.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have 57swx and used to have a 65xwx, so I will try

I would suggest that you watch all your programming in 16x9 standard because it doesnt give a distortion on the sides. If you use a dish check and see if your box has an option for 16x9 display, so do, some don't but seems to do a little something. If you think it looks a little worse at first, try for a few days, because you won't think about it again after that in most cases. I actually thought it looked better then 4/3 expanded right away.

You can take the screen off, but with these it is a little harder then the old one's and you may want to go thru history because there was a guy, the one that has a picture in an Air force uniform with pictures of how to do it, and if you don't mind spending 25 bucks, there is a step by step with pictures on spottie. From what I have heard it looks better without it, more vivid and detailed, but if you have pets and crud it isn't really an option. You may also want to look into a cleaning substance because they make one specifically for that type of screen.

I hope you try the 16x9 standard thing because it really does the best job on SD that I have seen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Addicted Help!!

Thanks for the dish receiver tip. It did have the screen aspect ratio option. So what I did was set the receiver for 16:9 and put the tv on 16:9 standard. I have to agree with you that this is the best way to deal with filling the screen. Seemed to do away with some of the short/fat effect. 4:3 expanded drives me nuts, like looking through a fishbowl!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Believe it or not, you actually get used to that fishbowl effect. I rarely even notice it anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.