AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for posting that. An interesting read, especially in comparison to Toshiba's new RPTV that is supposed to be 1920 X 1080 as well. Hopefully, these will be the first of many display devices to start offering full HDTV resolution. Then perhaps the price will come down and the quality will continue to increase with the economy of scale which we can all benefit from.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Sounds like a real LCD TV, not a LCD rear-projection TV -- i.e., flat like a notebook computer screen or flat LCD monitor (like I'm using with the computer I'm writing this with).

I assume it will compete price-wise with plasmas of this size -- i.e., $8000 or more.

If it's below $5K, it will probably be the best-selling TV on the market -- plasma hang-on-the-wall size/depth, true HD display, no burn-in.

(sigh!)

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is a Flatscreen TV not a Rear Projection TV. Its more like a plasma, also I have heard they are a bit expensive.

Edit: ewiess posted at the same time and I did not see his post.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wonder how much something like this would cost in 2 years? I hope they have a prototype at the CES Show this January. I would love to see one in person.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wonder how much something like this would cost in 2 years? I hope they have a prototype at the CES Show this January. I would love to see one in person.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fjerina
I believe with the increase of digital technologies for displays, we will finally begin to see the exponential increases in quality-for-the-dollar, with resultant dramatic price drops, that we've been seeing in computers for years now. It's been at least a decade that you've been able to buy basically the top home computer for $3,000 (with the average person probably needing to spend no more than $1,000 for a really good and capable PC). And each year that same $3,000 (which, with inflation, became actually LESS than $3,000 each year) would get you something 2-3X as fast, plus double the storage space, etc., as $3,000 would have gotten you the year before.

DLP, LCD, L-COS, and other digital technologies, etc., as they are tweaked and improved and adopted by more and more manufacturers, will make really cool high-def TVs as affordable and widespread as the Model T. There will always be high-end stuff, but full high-def TVs in huge sizes and slim cabinets/wall-mounts with no burn-in issues will be here in 5-6 years at extremely reasonable prices, I predict. After all, a news release a few months back mentioned how Phillips(?) had created the technology to produce roll-up paper-thin TVs in all the primary colors, and that Sony was on the forefront of bringing this technology to market by 2005 or so, in TVs that will cost no more than today's RPTVs.

Bye, bye, big box.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
I believe with the increase of digital technologies for displays, we will finally begin to see the exponential increases in quality-for-the-dollar, with resultant dramatic price drops, that we've been seeing in computers for years now.
I would agree completely. For that reason I think HDTV buyers should figure on a 3-4 year life for their investment even though the working life will be much longer.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i wonder if the ubiquitous and prescient rogo has heard anything about this set; his ear seems always to be to the digital-display ground, so to speak...

i'd love to hear what he thinks now (if anything), and what he thinks after CES (if this particular set is there).

rogo? you there? :)

- jd

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
1) I think this particular sort of display will turn out to be more of a curiousity than anything else. LCD is not a new technology, yet making panels that size is still a formidable undertaking.

2) Blacks!

3) Viewing angle! (If you have a laptop computer, turn it on, move 20 degrees off to the side, and compare the image relative to looking straight on.)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
JD: I am definitely hoping to see the prototype at CES. The talk we have going on in Plasma/LCD suggests there is almost zero chance of a shipping display before early '04. Late '03 is the absolute earliest you'll see a product and that's just plain unlikely.

Cost is gonna be a big question.

Viewing angle? I dunno. Samsung appears to have that almost licked, so maybe LG/Philips does to. Blacks indeed concern me, but more so is contrast ratio.

Again, I hope to see it and stick my ear to it for a minute. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Is it me or is Samsung and LG Philips in a rat race to show the biggest and baddest LCD screens on the market? It was just 2- 3weeks ago that Samsung created, what they say, is the world's "largest" LCD display at 46". I think if these guys keep this up, we may be able to see 100" LCD panel in the showrooms. Now lets take a moment and think about that.....:eek:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Manufacturing a 100" TFT-LCD is unlikely to ever happen. It is far more likely a 100" OLED will be made than a TFT. TFT manufacturing is hard to do even at 30", let alone 40" and 50". I suspect we'll see them give up at 60" unless someone can make stiching together smaller panels viable (it's been a holy grail for 5 years or more and no one's been able to do it yet).

OLED manufacturing may eventually (2010 or so) be done on a printing-press-like fab and able to scale to 200" diagonal.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rogo,

do you have any good links to OLED stuff? i've seen the basic information posted on the kodak site, but would really like to know more than that.

thanks,

- jd

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Sounds like a real LCD TV, not a LCD rear-projection TV -- i.e., flat like a notebook computer screen or flat LCD monitor (like I'm using with the computer I'm writing this with).

I assume it will compete price-wise with plasmas of this size -- i.e., $8000 or more.

If it's below $5K, it will probably be the best-selling TV on the market -- plasma hang-on-the-wall size/depth, true HD display, no burn-in.

(sigh!)
Samsung has a 40" (up to this point, it was the largest LCD TV in the world). It lists for around $15000 Canadian, but we can order a demo for $8900.00. ;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Samsung has it, but can you really get it? No one here has been able to actually buy one yet. Some places claim to have them, but I believe those are all non-stocking dealers.

I'd at least like to see one somewhere at retail to be convinced it is truly shipping.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the link, mark - that's a good article.

maybe in a decade you won't even have a screen, so much as an entire (OLED-coated) wall capable of ultra-hi-res video display...

- jd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.