AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I want to thank everyone on the forum - I lurked and read for days before making my purchasing decision, and it was a tremendous help - there are a ton of knowledgeable people here.

I ended up buying from the local BB - it cost me about $400 more then from Crazy Eddie, but with a large purchase I wanted to have an easy return if I didn't like it or had problems. They even had a salesman that was fairly familiar with the features and issues of HD. They have dropped the price to $2798 and delivery was free. They had a promotion including a leather chair and ottoman that I really didn't want, but it was free, and is actually a fairly nice chair.... wheeee. Delivery was as stated, and on time - good job BB. The set was manufactured in March, so it has the new software for the doubler.

Tuned to a Directv channel and played a bit with the basic settings, and was extremely pleased with the picture. Very sharp and excellent color. I should mention that the room it is in is fairly bright with the blinds open, and the set exceeded my expectations for the conditions. I found that the stretch mode was easy to get used to, and other then sports, I don't even notice it after only a couple days. I have stared at the screen looking for any bad spots, artifacts etc, and other then possibly a slight bowing top and bottom (but it could be me...some times I think I see it, other times I don't) the set seems to have arrived fairly well set up.

Then it was time to try the new JVC XV-S65GD progressive scan player. BTW, I have read the entire "boycott JVC" thread, and IMHO JVC isn't necessarily the bad guy here. Since JVC doesn't even list this player yet on their web site, I don't know a lot of tech details about it. Not sure if it has 3:2 or not, but for $249 I thought I'd try it, and return it if I didn't like it. The manual says it has "digital direct progressive scan", whatever that means. Does anyone have additional info on this model? Anyway, I put in The Patriot... and.... WOW! To say I was blown away is an understatement. I had very high expectations for this set and player, and they exceeded them by a lot. I have looked for problems/artifacts/issues until my head hurts, and can't really find any. I also checked out some nonanamorphic dvd's, and am quite happy with the display of them too. The only drawback I have seen so far, is that while watching Striptease, I could see Demi's stretchmarks http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I am one happy camper!

FYI - other equipment in system

JVC RX884 receiver (no DTS...sigh..anyone have recom...oh.. nevermind)

Bose AM15 speakers (please...no Bose flames...lol)

Philips DirecTivo

JVC HR S4500U S-VHS

Toshiba S-3205 laptop (for playing my extensive mp3 catalog)

[This message has been edited by online2much (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I also just purchased the JVC XV-S65GD. The Best Buy web site list it as having 3:2 pulldown. With my Toshiba 65" widescreen TW65X81 the picture is very good and it is easy to use.

Rick

·
Registered
228 Posts
Online:

Couple questions for you. My 56H80 was manufactured in Sep 2000. It doesn't have 3:2 pull down. So, I need to use a iScan pro for non HD movies. How does non HD movie picture from Direct TV compare to your progressive DVD display ? Can you receive HD programming ? If not, get it quickly and fully utilize your new TV.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regular directv programming does not look nearly as good as the dvd's, particularly on "basic" channels. I was watching CNN last night, and thought something had gone out of whack with the set... horrible picture. Changed to an HBO channel, and it looked good. Changed to a dvd, and it looked spectacular.

I don't have the HD receiver yet, although I do have another browser window open ready to hit "check out" on a Toshiba DST3000 - but I'm still checking on just how much programming will be available, and if it is worth the added cost. I just bought a new house (that was just begging for a big screen) and am trying to decide where my $$$ priorities lie. In other words, I'm sure I'll end up with the receiver.....lmao.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Online:

Be aware that each input has its own setting. You still need to start from movie mode for DTV viewing to diable SVM. And you still have to adjust sharpness, contrast and color and all that for every input.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The new JVC XV-S65GD progressive scan player with 3:2 pulldown does not produce any where near as good a picture as true HD. However in my opinion it is approximately as good as Showtime HD when they show an upconverted program.

By the way, my other equipment is a Dish 6000 STB, a Sony 5.1 DD reciever, and a Toshiba TW65X81.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.