AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not seen this come up yet (after doing a search) so here goes - apologies if this is a repost.

I got a second 5k (a new 5040) delivered yesterday to network with my existing (refurb) 5080.

I plan to place the second unit in the bedroom so I was all ready to do the fan mod (lowering voltage) to quiet the little sucker (blower?) down.

BEFORE I took the top off and voided the warranty I wanted check it was working ok so I powered up the new 5040 to get it setup with listings etc and ... lo and behold, the thing was almost silent. Whisper quiet.

"Damn, fan doesn't work" I think.

Then I look and listen more closely and it is running, just at about 1/4 the noise level of the refurb 5080, with cool air gently blowing out the back.

So I am going to leave this machine as-is for now and set it up in the bedroom.

Here's my question:- am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed an improvement with more recent machines?

Hey, maybe they're doing the fan mod at the factory now ... ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a 5040 a few weeks ago, and the fan is almost silent. Lucky for me, the warranty sticker didn't stick to the back of my case, so I can open and close as often as I like. The fans run at about 3V or so. There is a thermistor near the fan connector, so I guess that's how it is monitored and controlled. I was concerned about overheating, so I pulled the fan jumper, and tried to hook it up to 12V (It is a 12V fan). The only problem is the unit somehow monitors the fan thru the 2 pin connector, and gave me a "Fan Jammed" error. I replaced the original fan connector and soft booted. All works well so far.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
There was a change (2 changes actually) in later shipments...not sure how many are out there...that allowed for a quieter fan, or a fan that would stop if it wasn't needed.

Lyndon
Hmm, were both changes for the fan? Or one change for the fan and another completely different change?

So what's the other change Lyndon? Lowered the brightness of the Blue light? Loading a new image on the HDD before shipment?

·
Registered
498 Posts
received a 5040 from buy.com last week, and got the new fan edition apparently. It is almost completely silent, you actually have to put your ear against the box to hear any noise out of it. (and that is with a maxtor 160 8mb cache hd)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rats! I just received my Replay 5060 from Amazon last week, and it's definitely got one of the loud fans. Not loud in a metallic clankety way, but a very audible whirring. My husband was not completely excited that I was buying it in the first place, despite my extolling all the neat features that our Showstopper doesn't have. ("Yeah, but that one's free!)" Now he's been noticing the fan noise and complaining about "all the electricity that thing must be eating up."

**sigh**

Erika

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
No, both changes were related to fan noise reduction...

Gadget, there's no way to know if what revs are in which stock.

Plus, not everyone found fault with the original fans.

Lyndon
So what's the manufacturer and part# of the 'new' fan?

I'd like to get one to 'update' my Replay.

That was kind of sarcastic, just wondering if there was a fan/kit we could buy to replace the 'noisy' replay fans?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chain777,

This is not a "quiet" fan. The circuit its connected to is different. the fan turns on only when the Replay has booted up. It looks like its controlled by software. The fan is a regular 12V fan, but the black lead measures about 9V, and the red lead is about 12V, so it is barely turning. I assume that if the unit gets hot enough, the fan will turn on to full speed, but have not seen this happen yet.

I just wonder if I'm trading lifespan of the unit for a quieter cooling.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I've been snooping around the 5k parts looking for the Real Time Clock part and there's a lot of changed stuff on the rev 7 vs the rev 5 boards.

Unrelated new stuff:

Now using NEC USB controller

48KHz crystal is a new package, maybe a more solid clock?

Flash part is now surface mounted, not socketed.

And I haven't even got away from the right 2" of the mobo yet...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd like to pick up one of the 5040's before the 9/30 rebate expiration and I'm trying to decide between buying it through buy.com or the ReplayTv site.

Has anyone received a "quiet fan" version from ReplayTV web site? Are people getting the quiet fan version consistently from Buy.Com?

I picked up one of the 5040 refurb units, and it is very loud, even when installed in a custom rack in the wall behind a glass door. I plan to modify it eventually (or retrofit possible from RTV?), but would like to start out with a stock quiet one this time for the family room, to sit next to my silent 3060.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
It'd be nice to know the S/Ns where the new fans started so it's easy to tell... I've got a new 5040 from Amazon also, but it's still in the box....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Has anyone received a "quiet fan" version from ReplayTV web site?
Yes, the unit and posting that started this thread was ordered directly from the ReplayTV site - a new 5040 with lifetime activation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought one of the refurb 5040s and the fan is pretty loud. I talked to ReplayTV support and they're willing to RMA the unit. Any idea what the odds are of getting one of the quieter models?

Any more reports from people that swapped the fan wires to slow down the fan?

I'm also seeing really poor quality using the RF tuner. The cable guy is coming out tomorrow to test my signal strength. If it's OK, I may be sending it back regardless of the fan.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the key point here is I bought a **NEW** 5040 for $399 (AR), not a refurb.

5040 Outlet Store

I think it is logical to assume that the refurbs are generally older units that likely pre-date the fan upgrade.

Best advice I can give to people is that if you really care about fan noise then order a new unit to improve your odds - it's obviously not a guarantee though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just ordered a NEW unit from the Replay site yesterday. It should arrive in the next couple days. I'll be quite happy if it has the quieter setup. I'll post my findings here after I set it up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.