AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now convinced myself that the new 6000 software upgrade (which provides new stretch and zoom aspect modes) has caused an increase in the overscan in the Normal aspect setting, but only in HD mode, and apparantly only along the top and bottom edges (vertical size/overscan).

You can see the difference by switching from viewing in SD to viewing in HD. I have a local station that conveniently places a station ID bug in the extreme upper part of the scan window. In SD mode, I see the entire bug. But in HD mode, it is cut in half, even in Normal aspect. Its position along the side of the screen is identical, i.e. same horizontal overscan in either mode.

This behavior was not observed prior to the software update. Does this bother anyone else? You OAR enthusiasts don't have a chance now!

--Gerald C

p.s. I even tried to use the Adjust function to push the visible scan as high as possible, but without success. The station bug is still cut off. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Gerald C (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
When did you get the new software? When was it released?

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
When I switch to letterbox, I can see the entire OTA Fox logo with black bars top and bottom. This is the full screen as it should be. The old software never had the letterbox option and the logo was always cut in half and no black bars. Dish fixed the problem.

-Glenn

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
When I switch to letterbox, I can see the entire ...
Well, Glenn, I almost dismissed your comment because the Letterbox mode is only available for the 4:3 non-squeeze setting, which I don't have any need for. However, I did switch over to that setting just to see what you were talking about. And, yes, the Letterbox mode does indeed show the full vertical image, sans overscan. If only the normal mode would do this.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Gerald,

I haven't noticed it any worse since the software upggrade but is always been horrible. I wish they would do a ajustable zoom function like the horizontal and vertical centering adjustment to allow reduction of the overscan.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.