AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an A3000 (its so beautiful!) and thought I might as well give the calibration a shot. I will be getting it ISF calibrated later in the year but for now I would like to try it myself. After doing some research, im wondering if it would be worth it as I do not have any true hd input devices that I could use for calibration..

I Have time warner HD and an xbox 360 (without the hd-dvd drive). The xbox 360 upscales dvds to 1080i , would this distort calibration discs such as Avia or DVE? Would it be fine for color calibration? Time warner displays in 1080i as well, so I would think that if i calibrate in 1080i on the 360, that would be enough. Though I have a sneaking suspicion its not that cut and dry.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Just do it. It's a start. The TV won't blow up as a result. It's all good learning the process.

Regards

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plight /forum/post/12883254

I recently purchased an A3000 (its so beautiful!) and thought I might as well give the calibration a shot. I will be getting it ISF calibrated later in the year but for now I would like to try it myself. After doing some research, im wondering if it would be worth it as I do not have any true hd input devices that I could use for calibration..

I Have time warner HD and an xbox 360 (without the hd-dvd drive). The xbox 360 upscales dvds to 1080i , would this distort calibration discs such as Avia or DVE? Would it be fine for color calibration? Time warner displays in 1080i as well, so I would think that if i calibrate in 1080i on the 360, that would be enough. Though I have a sneaking suspicion its not that cut and dry.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Its not quite that cut and dry, but as Michael said, it is a good starting point. You may not get it perfect, but it will be a lot closer, and you will learn a lot along the way. I firmly believe that Avia is worth the money simply for the tutorials.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give it a shot, i got Dve a while ago but have just been hesitant as I didnt want to adversely affect my hd quality by useing an upscaled dvd.

Which tests are uniform enough through both sd and hd so that I wont have any adverse effects from calibrating from upscaled source?

edit: I was just thinking, the HD patterns would be in a native hd resolution. What if I were to just put them on a normal dvd and view the images themselves from the 360 outputing 1080i. Would that give better results? Another option would be to stream the data directly from my pc to the 360.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts