AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Onkyo receiver with the dish network and a panasonic 50" plasma. My question is, why or how can I get the receiver to stop displaying or up/down loading from dolby digital and so forth when watching tv? It is really annoying when watching CBS football, it must switch back and forth a thousand times during a game and it displays this on the tv screen what it is switching back and forth to. We had this hooked up by Firedog, just not sure if this is some setting or cable problem even though we are using HDMI cables.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you watch a program with Dolby Digital sound, the audio will switch back to 2-channel during commercials, because commercials generally aren't available with Dolby Digital sound. Is this what you are experiencing?

One way to get rid of the switching is to configure the cable/sat box to play only 2-channel. The program and the commercials will all be in 2-channel after that. You can apply pro-logic processing to make it play out of all your speakers. The downside with this approach is that you no longer get true 5.1 sound in the main program. (I know you said 7.1, but the signal is 5.1 and the receiver adds processing to produce the additional channels.) If the switching really bothers you, it might be worth making this change.

Otherwise, you can minimize the annoyance. For example, you may be able to turn off the on-screen display. You didn't post the model number of your receiver, so I can't tell you if this is possible or how to do it. I'm not even certain the display is coming from the receiver.

Post this info, if you have it:

* Onkyo receiver model number

* Panasonic tv model number

* who is your cable/sat provider

* manufacturer and model number of the cable/sat box

* is the cable/sat box connected directly to the TV or to the receiver?

-Max

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max,

I am currently at work and not sure of my model #, but I will look this up this afternoon when I get home and post it.

Our cable provider is DishNetwork and the dish box is hooked directly to our receiver. As for the display on the tv, I think that has to be coming through the dish box but I cannot figure out how or why as we just got a new box 2 weeks ago as our last boxes dvr went out and they sent a new one. since we got this new one is when this display started but Dish said it isn't coming from their box.

The tv we have is Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50-Inch Plasma HDTV

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy /forum/post/15416301

I have a new Onkyo receiver with the dish network and a panasonic 50" plasma. My question is, why or how can I get the receiver to stop displaying or up/down loading from dolby digital and so forth when watching tv? It is really annoying when watching CBS football, it must switch back and forth a thousand times during a game and it displays this on the tv screen what it is switching back and forth to. We had this hooked up by Firedog, just not sure if this is some setting or cable problem even though we are using HDMI cables.

Thanks

Look in the setup for your Onkyo receiver for a display option called "Immediate Display". If it's on, turn it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just now need to figure out how to get the signal from changing during commercials and football games.......drives me and my wife nuts that the sound goes from loud to soft like 50 times during a football game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.