AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right place; I'm new to the site.

Just bought an Onkyo TX-SR607. It can support 7.1 setup. My old receiver was an old Sony ES that only did 5.1. So, I need to know what to do with the additional two channels. The Onkyo only allows me to select one of the following three options:

1) Bi-amp my front speakers (I have four Wharfdale Emeralds, plus a center) to supply separate feeds for the high and low ends in each speaker.

2) Set up two High speakers for the front. These would be placed at ceiling level to enhance the3 front sound space.

3) Set up two Surround Side speakers to augment the two Surround Rear speakers.

Which option would give me the most enhancement to what I've had with the 5.1 setup? Of course, whichever option I choose will yield a list of different sound processing options.

It may help to know that we use the theater for 35% HDTV, 35% Movie (Blu-ray, but video limited to 1080i), 20% Gaming (XBox 360 and Wii) and 10% Music. I'm connecting all components with HDMI, including projector.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
first, a comment on your setup....according to the Dolby Labs speaker setup, in a 5.1 system the surrounds are really "sides"...just over the shoulder and slight higher than ear level. The true "rears" are added in a 7.1 setup. http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

forget "bi-amping", but you do have 2 options to experiment with - front high speakers and a 7.1 setup. Try BOTH. You will have to add a pair of speakers for either, so try them in both setups and see which you like better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with your room. If there's no space behind the seating area then where are you going to place the rear surrounds? Why do you feel the need to use those remaining channels? Give your receiver a break and just go 5.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.