AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded from a 5 year old Kenwood (that was part of a Home Theater in a Box that retailed for around $500 5 years ago) to a Yamaha 7.1 channel receiver (RX-V657.) My current 5.1 speakers came with the Kenwood, and are decent (as far as I can tell.) The fronts are good size (about 2.5ft tall, with two main speakers and a tweeter in each one), and the rears are smaller cubes.

I'm planning to more the old Kenwood receiver into the bedroom, but need speakers. My budget is tight, as I just also upgraded my TV (34" direct view 16x9 Toshiba) and my DVD player (Panasonic DVD Recorder + VCR.) I'd like to stay in the $250 range.

Oh, and both my bedroom and living room are fairly small. The couch in the living room is about 10ft from the TV/Entertainment center, and there's about another 4ft behind the couch to the rear wall. The bedroom is 10x8.

I think I've narrowed down my options, but each is a completely different direction, and could use some opinions:

* Option 1: keep my current 5.1 Kenwood speaders in the living room, and add 2 additional rear surrounds (to give me 7.1.) I was thinking of the Wharfedale WH-2 Wide-Dispersion Satellite Speakers. I could use those as my main surrounds, and using the existing two Kenwood's as the additional rear surrounds (the 2 that go more in the middle-rear of the room...) I would then buy an inexpensive 5.1 set (KLH HTA-9706) for the bedroom. I'm not too concerned with quality in the bedroom, so a cheap set is fine.

* Option 2: Get a new 7.1 set (I was thinking of the ONKYO SKSHT530B 7.1 speaker package), and moving the Kenwood's into the bedroom. One drawback here is that the Kenwood speakers are a bit large (larger than the KLH's), so would be a tight fit in the already crowded bedroom.

Both options will be comparible in price.

I guess my general question is: would I be better off getting a matched 7.1 set, or adding a higher quality pair of surrounds to my 5.1 set, and getting an inexpensive matched 5.1 set for the bedroom?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Wow, that's tough. I'm agonizing in one thread because I can't think of an in-wall speaker I like that's $200 each, and here you are looking for 8 speakers for $250. I see that purchasers of the speakers you've mentioned have been happy, so that bodes well for you. :)

How about posting this inquiry in the HTIB forum? You may or may not get some good answers there.

I'd normally try and keep the speakers the same all around - unless I was looking to slowly buy pieces of a more expensive system.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
I'd normally try and keep the speakers the same all around - unless I was looking to slowly buy pieces of a more expensive system.
Well, yeah, I guess that's what I'm thinking for the living room. The rear's I'm looking at ($100 for the pair) seem pretty good, but I can't find many reviews. I was thinking if I added those now, I can slowly replace the other speakers (new fronts next, then center channel, etc.) The set for the bedroom I don't care about. I usually only have the TV on to fall asleep, and have lived with TV speakers until now.

So, I guess to re-ask my question (perhaps I should just start a new thread),

does anyone have any thoughts on the Wharfedale WH-2 Wide-Dispersion Satellite Speakers?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85
So, I guess to re-ask my question (perhaps I should just start a new thread),

does anyone have any thoughts on the Wharfedale WH-2 Wide-Dispersion Satellite Speakers?
bump this thread. Any thoughts on the Wharfedale WH-2 Wide-Dispersion surrounds?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.