AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this yesterday in the Speakers forum (because I'm considering a pair of rear surrounds), but was told it would be better for this forum...

I recently upgraded from a 5 year old Kenwood (that was part of a Home Theater in a Box that retailed for around $500 5 years ago) to a Yamaha 7.1 channel receiver (RX-V657.) My current 5.1 speakers came with the Kenwood, and are decent (as far as I can tell.) The fronts are good size (about 2.5ft tall, with two main speakers and a tweeter in each one...they're the KS-401HT), and the rears are smaller cubes.

I'm planning to more the old Kenwood receiver into the bedroom, but need speakers. My budget is tight, as I just also upgraded my TV (34" direct view 16x9 Toshiba) and my DVD player (Panasonic DVD Recorder + VCR.) I'd like to stay in the $250 range.

Oh, and both my bedroom and living room are fairly small. The couch in the living room is about 10ft from the TV/Entertainment center, and there's about another 4ft behind the couch to the rear wall. The bedroom is 10x8.

I think I've narrowed down my options, but each is a completely different direction, and could use some opinions:

* Option 1: keep my current 5.1 Kenwood speaders in the living room, and add 2 additional rear surrounds (to give me 7.1.) I was thinking of the Wharfedale WH-2 Wide-Dispersion Satellite Speakers. I could use those as my main surrounds, and using the existing two Kenwood's as the additional rear surrounds (the 2 that go more in the middle-rear of the room...) I would then buy an inexpensive 5.1 set (KLH HTA-9706) for the bedroom. I'm not too concerned with quality in the bedroom, so a cheap set is fine.

* Option 2: Get a new 7.1 set (I was thinking of the ONKYO SKSHT530B 7.1 speaker package), and moving the Kenwood's into the bedroom. One drawback here is that the Kenwood speakers are a bit large (larger than the KLH's), so would be a tight fit in the already crowded bedroom.

Both options will be comparible in price.

I guess my general question is: would I be better off getting a matched 7.1 set, or adding a higher quality pair of surrounds to my 5.1 set, and getting an inexpensive matched 5.1 set for the bedroom?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
don't mix and match your front speakers, you L-C-R should be timbe matched, and that's not going to happen if you use a different brand or series for your front imaging...

if i was you, i would keep the Kenwood HTiB system together, and move it into the bedroom as a 5.1 system. you can go with the Onkyo speaker system if you want, but you can definitely find better. considering your low budget though, that will probably be only complete system you'll find for $265 or so. just don't expect much from a system that you're building based on process of elimination...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.