AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yamaha TSR7810 has issues. It was working great, with three HDMI inputs (PC, Cable, 4K BR player) going out through HDMI out 1 to the TV. Then I hooked up a 3D BR player as input 4 and a projector (through a long "optical" one-way HDMI cable) to HDMI out 2. Worked fine for a week or two. Then the projector couldn't find the source, I tested a few things, found that HDMI out 2 wasn't working, nor was the projector input working. Crap. So whatever happened messed up both ends of that cable. And, while testing things, I noted that one end of that cable was very hot.

It could have been a power hit or something else, I don't know. I brought the Yamaha to the authorized service center and they quoted around $400 to fix it. And, in the bargain, did something so HDMI out 1 is not working most of the time. I can't blame them since the problem predates their work. Anyway, I'm not paying $400 to fix it. I was told that it used to be possible to just replace the HDMI ports but that can't be done anymore.

So I'm now looking for a new receiver, hopefully with two working HDMI outs. The RX-A780 AVENTAGE 7.2 is a possibility, I see it for $650. Seems to have less speaker outputs than the 7810 but I don't need more than 7.2.

I'm a Costco fan and they have a Denon AVR-S750H for $430 but it only has the one output. I might simply wait until Costco has a unit I want. In that case I could run the HDMI inputs into the TV and output the optical audio into the Yamaha. I could also run the 3D BR player directly into the new projector (didn't pay to fix that either) and use the coax for the audio into the Yamaha. It will work while I wait patiently.

But maybe the folks here have an idea?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
If you're a Costco fan, and like Yamaha, your could consider the TSR 7850. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/tsr-7850/index.html

It's not on the Costco web site at the moment, but I saw a stack of them when I was in my local warehouse a few days ago. The last price I saw for it online was $500, but I've seen it on sale for as little as $400.

Unlike the 7810, it has no exact equivalent in the RX-V or RX-A series. I forget which model it closely resembles; maybe an RX-A780.

This isn't a recommendation, as I don't own the 7850. It's merely a suggestion.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you find any model that you like with only one output, and HDMI splitter with 4K HDR HDCP 2.2+HDMI 2.0b , giving you dual HDMI out inexpensively.

The Costco model Yamaha TSR-7850 is pretty much identical to the RX-A780.
If Costco doesn't have any more of them new, there are some refurbished ones available on the net via google shopping for about half what you see the RX-A780 for.
If you're OK with refurbished, a Denon AVR-X3500H costs a little more than the RX-A780 and offers far better room correction and other features.
Addiitonally, a refurbished Denon AVR-S950H is about the same price as the AVR-S750H at Costco.

My Yamaha TSR7810 has issues.
I brought the Yamaha to the authorized service center and they quoted around $400 to fix it.
Anyway, I'm not paying $400 to fix it.
So I'm now looking for a new receiver, hopefully with two working HDMI outs. The RX-A780 AVENTAGE 7.2 is a possibility, I see it for $650. Seems to have less speaker outputs than the 7810 but I don't need more than 7.2.

I'm a Costco fan and they have a Denon AVR-S750H for $430 but it only has the one output. I might simply wait until Costco has a unit I want. In that case I could run the HDMI inputs into the TV and output the optical audio into the Yamaha. I could also run the 3D BR player directly into the new projector (didn't pay to fix that either) and use the coax for the audio into the Yamaha. It will work while I wait patiently.

·
Registered
28,451 Posts
I agree, if you're a Costco fan stop in at your local warehouse and see if they have the Yamaha TSR-7850 in stock. Like was said above it is not online anymore but many stores still carry it on clearance. It is pretty much the same as the RX-A780 and has dual HDMI out like you want. And it'll be $150 cheaper than the A780.

Your new long HDMI cable may be the culprit of causing problems with your old Yamaha and the projector. So check that cable too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the differences? The 7850 is available at Costco but not on sale. I could wait but they will adjust the price if it drops within three months.

I normally don't mind refurbed products but it does mess with the warranty so I'd be hesitant to do that with this purchase.

·
Registered
737 Posts
All 3 Yamahas are functionally identical. The differences seem to boil down to distribution channel, warranty and the highly desirable ART Wedge (sarcasm).
Comparing at Crutchfield, the RX-A780 is specified to have less distortion than the RX-V685 at least. I imagine that the TSR is more like the RX-V in that case.

For warranty, check if the TSR is protected by the Concierge service (it would get an extra year). Otherwise, see how much Costco or Crutchfield would charge for more years of warranty.
A squaretrade plan isn't that expensive, less than the cost difference to the A780, and adds multiple years. Compare 'Home Entertainment' to 'Misc Electronics' categories.

What are the differences? The 7850 is available at Costco but not on sale. I could wait but they will adjust the price if it drops within three months.

I normally don't mind refurbed products but it does mess with the warranty so I'd be hesitant to do that with this purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's odd is that the TSR-7850 (and RX-A780) are listed as 7.2 channel, but physically connects up to 9.2 (with the additional being listed as "F.Presence/Zone 2").

The spec says it supports either 7.2 or 5.2.2, but why wouldn't they just re-use the "Surround Back" connectors for the Presence as it is toggled? Just strikes me as a really odd addition for something that could be just software driven.

·
Registered
28,451 Posts
There are 9 speaker connections but can only process 7. I guess it just saves you the hassle of moving speaker terminals around for various uses.

If it could process 9 channels it would cost $1000+ like the A2080...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 7850 was on sale at Costco for $450 so I took it. I was grumbling about the lack of quick source selection on the remote but started using the scenes and found that saving other settings along with the source is very useful. Particularly when the output HDMI is saved with the source and that's what I need for the TV and Projector.

Don't I want to use Straight Decode most of the time? If playing a CD or something recorded in stereo, I think I want it that way. And most blu-rays and cable programs are already in multichannel and that's what I want to hear it as. I never really messed around with the settings on the 7810 but I'm playing more this time. I was actually listening to some internet radio. I'll have to see how to add stations to the existing list.

It's mostly all hooked up. Cable, 4K BR player, 1080 3D BR player, even the old cassette machine. I discovered that the PC that was hooked up to the 7810 is stone cold dead. I don't use it much but sometimes played games on it. I suspect that whatever damaged the 7810 and Optoma 143X projector blew the motherboard or power supply on the PC. I probably have a spare PSU lying around so when I get a chance I'll see if I can resurrect that PC.

I do have a good battery/surge unit, but apparently not good enough. I'm having a whole house unit installed soon. Sort of like locking the barn door after the horses escaped, but I did get some more horses.

I guess I'll put the 7810 on ebay and see what I can get for it. It's still a very good unit for audio if people aren't interested in running the video through it.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I'm not up on Yamaha audio modes, but there is probably a direct stereo mode that does minimal digital processing of the signal.

A possible drawback to that would be no subwoofer output. The crossover is a DSP function.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not up on Yamaha audio modes, but there is probably a direct stereo mode that does minimal digital processing of the signal.

A possible drawback to that would be no subwoofer output. The crossover is a DSP function.
Oddly, I don't have a subwoofer. I have two floor standing Alon speakers, each with a 10" woofer and I never saw the need to get a subwoofer. So I suspect not having a subwoofer won't be a major problem.

I'll play around with the various settings over the next few days and see what I like. The Pure Direct mode seems to have the most minimal processing, and there is what they call Compressed Music Enhancer. I'm guessing that's the expander part of a compressor/expander. I inherited the soundman position at my community theater and we use that to keep live music from blowing the speakers. It's a senior community but the old soundman didn't actually die; he was a professional and taught me how to run everything and then got a real job.

TIme for bed, I'll have a chance to play more tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Oddly, I don't have a subwoofer. I have two floor standing Alon speakers, each with a 10" woofer and I never saw the need to get a subwoofer. So I suspect not having a subwoofer won't be a major problem.

I'll play around with the various settings over the next few days and see what I like. The Pure Direct mode seems to have the most minimal processing, and there is what they call Compressed Music Enhancer. I'm guessing that's the expander part of a compressor/expander. I inherited the soundman position at my community theater and we use that to keep live music from blowing the speakers. It's a senior community but the old soundman didn't actually die; he was a professional and taught me how to run everything and then got a real job.

TIme for bed, I'll have a chance to play more tomorrow.
I'm not an audiophile. I have the impression that the most serious listeners to stereo sources prefer two large speakers with no sub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts