AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look's like the rptv market is finally going to challenge the flat panel display if this new screen works like it is advertise i read i report 1 years ago on the web of the demo unit they presented to a display convention

and the wow factor this display was giving in brightness an also in the great viewing angle almost the same has flat panel

the companies that is making the screen for Samsung is" Scramtech" can't post the direct link it is only my 4 post a google search will find the web site easy and look into the news.

Sure hope this screen come to market the only reason i'm not getting a rptv is the limited viewing angle and the plasma is way to overprice for me well the few plasma that have acceptable picture for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
This is a really cool development, nkm. I pasted in some stuff for everyone:

http://www.insightmedia.info/PS03/Pr...Highlights.htm

SCRAM Technologies, Inc. ( www.scramtech.com ) stunned attendees by showing a 50-inch RPTV that is only 8 inches deep! The prototype uses the company's SCRAMScreen and its newly refined optical system to produce the thin form factor. SCRAM also showed a sample screen section made from an optimal combination of materials resulting in very high brightness and contrast, ambient light absorption and 180 degree viewing angle.

http://www.scramtech.com/technology.html

The SCRAMscreenâ„¢ is a revolutionary, passive display that provides high contrast, high brightness, interactivity, wide viewing angles, modularity and more. The SCRAMscreenâ„¢ can achieve virtually unlimited resolution using any type of imaging source. Using SCRAM's proprietary optics designs, SCRAMscreensâ„¢ can also be manufactured to slim form factors. The initial 50" diagonal prototype was manufactured to a maximum depth of 9".

By stacking sheets of optically clear plastic or glass with a cladding, proprietary planar waveguides are created that allow light to be transmitted directly to the viewing surface with virtually no loss of light. The SCRAMscreenâ„¢ absorbs ambient light which eliminates reflective losses on the image transmission, thus creating an even brighter picture.

SCRAMscreens™ can be tiled to virtually any size, seamlessly, making them ideal for large format displays. In addition, because they can be manufactured out of plastic, SCRAMscreens™ have the ability to be curved to almost any shape, to create up to 360° viewing environments.

SCRAMscreensâ„¢ can be simply produced within established manufacturing industries with relatively minimal capitalization. Through high volume manufacturing with high production yields, SCRAMscreensâ„¢ will provide the revolutionary breakthrough in affordable, high definition, high performance displays other technologies have sought to achieve for decades, today.

SCRAMscreensâ„¢: Let the Revolution Begin!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Also:
http://www.scramtech.com/news_samsungpress.html

March 16, 2001

SAMSUNG AND SCRAM TECHNOLOGIES SIGN AGREEMENT TO REVOLUTIONIZE DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Suwon, Korea - Samsung Electronics Company, Ltd. and Scram Technologies, Inc., of Dunkirk, Maryland, today announced the signing of an OEM License Agreement to integrate SCRAM's radical new technology into Samsung's display systems. The SCRAMscreenâ„¢ is a revolutionary flat panel display technology that enables displays to be thin, with high contrast, high brightness, wide viewing angles, modularity and more.

After several years of near-silence about their technology, SCRAM is ready to move forward with commercial production of consumer displays. Ray Kwong, President and CEO of SCRAM said, "We waited to announce the technology until it was ready for the market place. We believe SCRAMscreensâ„¢ will change the display industry in a way it has never seen. We are excited about making our first public announcement of the technology with a company of Samsung's stature in the Consumer Electronics industry because it is a validation of how significant this is going to be."

Mr. B.Y. Yu, Samsung Vice President for R&D said, "SCRAM's technology will enable Samsung to continue to be a leader in the display industry. It will allow us to provide high performance, thin displays for a variety of consumer electronics applications."

The companies anticipate further announcements of product development in the future.

Well... okay... so this "development" developed 2 years ago... so where is it?? Where it at??

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
TI has known about these guys for years, fwiw.

5 years later, there is still nothing real to show, however the latest press release uses the words "might" and "early 2004".

Obviously, this would be cool if it happens.

That said, the headline is totally misleading as there is no product from Samsung and what they show next year -- if anything -- will likely be a technology demonstration that might lead to a product.

Also, this is not "free" technology. I could see a manufacturer trying to sell it at a premium price vs. the "regular depth" units. I don't see why Scramtech would give it away and since it will surely cost Samsung something to buy, they won't give it away either.

Don't forget, also, that NEC has a new DLP projector that throws a large image from very close to a screen using only optics -- also cool.

I'm not really sure that 6-7" boxes are as appealing as 3-4" panels. And the price delta is very likely to narrow over not too much time.

Still, I think this is very cool. But so is a lot of stuff in the display business that is never made into a product.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The difference in screen depth to me is not meaningful. I am using tower speakers in my home theater, and they need the depth to sound right, so a thinner screen does nothing but create more room behind the TV. I know a lot of people without large home theater speakers will care, but for me I am not going to give up the big speakers to hang my TV on the wall. What is a big screen without big sound?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm not sure that depth is really the biggest advantage here. They claim to have viewable angles that are almost as good as plasma (does that mean equivalent to LCD?) and given some of their proposed applications (ie, digital signage) that would imply both horizontal and vertical wide-angle viewability. And then there's light efficiency, etc etc.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doug_k
Well... okay... so this "development" developed 2 years ago... so where is it?? Where it at??
September, 2003

SCRAM and Samsung Developing Ultra-Thin RPTVs

Washington, D. C. - SCRAM Technologies (Dunkirk, MD)( www.scramtech.com ) is collaborating with Samsung Electronics (Suwon City, Korea) to develop two new 52†RPTVs. The units will feature Samsung’s DLP engine coupled to SCRAM’s proprietary screen technology and optics design. RPVs with depths of 12 and 7 inches might well be shown in early 2004.

SCRAM has developed both a novel screen technology and an optical system to couple light into the screen. This enables it to be efficiently coupled to existing or slightly-modified light valve engines.

At 7 inches in depth, the display will be the slimmest RPTV currently in existence. It will be driven by TI’s HD2 chip set, which delivers 1280x720 pixels – similar or identical to the engine used to drive Samsung’s current line of DLP RPTVs. With SCRAM Technologies’ SCRAMscreen, ambient light viewability, as well as high contrast and black levels, will be possible.

The incredibly thin depth profile of these sets is sure to catch the attention of potential customers and others within the industry. This has been one of the promises of microdisplay-based RPTVs, and developing platforms that are ultra-thin is needed to compete with flat-panel TV alternatives.

The second set will be aimed at commercial users where the

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CobraKahn
The difference in screen depth to me is not meaningful. I am using tower speakers in my home theater, and they need the depth to sound right, so a thinner screen does nothing but create more room behind the TV. I know a lot of people without large home theater speakers will care, but for me I am not going to give up the big speakers to hang my TV on the wall. What is a big screen without big sound?
I would agree with you on the big sound and big screen aspect of your post. But you might like the improvement of sound if the screen is set further back then you will have better detail in your speaker soundstage since you are minimizing the sound wave reflection off the screen. Try throwing a blanket or large towel over your tv to hear the difference in sound.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think CES is a definite "maybe". This doesn't feel like a product yet, but it would be a good way to maintain leadership in the exotic RPTV category if they could say the follow-on 50" was going to be half the depth -- and cheaper.

But even one of those would be good. :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, you would need wide feet on the bottom to keep it from falling over and or a mount-type solution (or some picture wire attached to the wall just for support).

Again, this is not yet a product so we don't know what the form factor would really be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.