AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my graphic card from a 6600GT to a XFX 7800GT that was just released today. I'm going to be getting back into PC games again - getting rid of my consoles. The 6600GT was loud as hell until I got an Arctic Cooler on it. Any thoughts on how these will do in an HTPC/Gaming PC. Think they are that loud?

I normally wouldn't spend so much on a graphics card just really want something fast and at $400 it's not too terrible. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm going to ebay to raise a little cash.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a couple of questions regarding this card also:

does this card support h.264 decoding?

What exactly does the "Integrated HDTV encoder up to 1080i resolution" do?

Here are the specs:

from a review at - http://www.thetechlounge.com/review....preview&page=1

also reviewed at www.anandtech.com

Specifications

Powered by NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT GPU

256MB 256-bit GDDR3 Memory clocked at 525 MHz (1.05 GHz DDR)

Core clock - 450 MHz

256-bit memory interface

PCI Express support

20 Rendering Pipeline

Dual DVI support

Next-generation superscalar GPU architecture

NVIDIA SLI Ready

64-bit floating point texture filtering and blending

NVIDIA CineFX 4.0 engine

NVIDIA Intellisample 4.0 technology

NVIDIA UltraShadow II technology

NVIDIA PureVideo technology

NVIDIA ForceWare Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)

NVIDIA nView multi-display technology

Integrated HDTV encoder up to 1080i resolution

Analog Video Capture

High-definition MPEG-2 and WMV hardware acceleration

Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support

OpenGL 2.0 support

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The XFX model is supposed to even beat the GTX in some benchmarks as it's overclocked out of the box. They even offer a double lifetime warranty according to their site. Basically you are covered for the lifetime of the card and if you sell it you can transfer your warranty to the new owner - good for one transfer. That's pretty cool. You must register the card on their site to qualify.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statix
What exactly does the "Integrated HDTV encoder up to 1080i resolution" do?
Means it can do component out without an external chip, basically means more than likely most 7800GTs will ship with component output.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 6600GT has component output also. I'm on the fence right now, not sure I want to drop the cash just yet.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER
My 6600GT has component output also. I'm on the fence right now, not sure I want to drop the cash just yet.
New hardware is always very tempting to buy. But w/ patience and time, we'll get more reviews and opinions. Not to mention price drops....

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Looking at the reviews, it seems that the $50 extra for the 7800 GTX is worth the gaming performance benefit over the 7800 GT. Some tests show that 2 6800 Ultras is better than one 7800 GT, which is not the case with one 7800 GTX. I'm going to wait until I can find an online retailer that sells a 7800 GTX for under $450.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The XFX model is $400, BFG can be had for less than that through Dell. Sorry typing with one hand, holding baby with the other.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is the problem with VMR tearing fixed in the 7800 series?

I run 1920x1080i with ZP/ffdshow or HDTV Wonder over DVI.

eVGA has a special now where you get a free SLI motherboard with a purchase of a 7800GT or 7800GTX. I figured I could drop a second one in about 1.5 year down the line to get back to high level performance.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's something I'm going to find out tonight when my new BFG7800 GT OC arrives from Dell. This is to unseat the current ATI X800 XL. I'll be holding my breath this evening when swapping out the graphic card.

Edited: Forgot to mention I purchased the BFG7800 GT OC at Dell Home for $341+tax, last night and it's already on DHL truck for delivery. At this price point, I can see NVIDIA is going to stay on top of the hi-end 3d g/c for a while.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Please also check the WMV performance. Right now with a A64 3000 @ 2.2 and a 9800 pro I can't play the Alexander trailer at full fps. Stats say I get ~16-17 out of 24. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrt
Please also check the WMV performance. Right now with a A64 3000 @ 2.2 and a 9800 pro I can't play the Alexander trailer at full fps. Stats say I get ~16-17 out of 24. Thanks for being the guinea pig!
W/ cat 5.6 or above, you can use wmv acceleration for your 9800pro.

7800GTX:

I'll ask the question again. Did they fix the VMR9 rendering problem????

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho
It's something I'm going to find out tonight when my new BFG7800 GT OC arrives from Dell. This is to unseat the current ATI X800 XL. I'll be holding my breath this evening when swapping out the graphic card.
It should work fine. I've been using the HDTV Wonder with a 6600GT with no issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
W/ cat 5.6 or above, you can use wmv acceleration for your 9800pro.
Im pretty sure I have that turned on and still can't get all the frames through. Should I be able too? at 1920x1080i?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.