AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at all the old rumors of Sony shrinking down the PS3 Graphics chip to 65nm this fall and musing as to whether or not the new 80GB Core bundle will use this chip. It would make sense if it did... Sony would save money, which would offset their "additional cost" of an 80 GB drive over a 40. (Yes, I know that for Sony that extra cost is a couple of pennies... but that's about what they save in manufacturing costs by going to a smaller GPU!)

I just bought a 40 GB PS3 because I got a good deal on it with Metal Gear ($420 bundle at Future Shop) and because the 80 GB are nowhere to be found. In fact, I was at a Best Buy today and the games area yellow-shirt told me that the Sony Rep had been in earlier this week saying that there would be NO more 80 GB systems until the fall, and that the MSGS 80 GB bundle was finito. This contrasted directly with what BB corporate had been telling him, which was that there would be one more shipment.

At any rate, I'm thinking of returning my system just before the 30 days are up and waiting the month to get an 80 GB and dual-shock for the same price, and the hope that I will get a cooler-running all 65nm system. Sound crazy to anyone?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Not really. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My guess would be that it will use the 65nm RSX chip. They already use the 65nm cell, and Sony has stated that this fall they will incorporate the 65nm RSX. It seems pretty logical that they would use the new chips in this model to help turn a profit.

That being said, Sony is always tight-lipped about exactly what goes into their machine (except for vague statements like ..."this fall"), so it is possible that they will use up their supply of 90nm chips first in these machines before switching to 65nm. Just speculation, but I'd say your chance of getting a 65nm chip in the new 80gb sku is decent.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So are they getting rid of the 40 gb? I read about 80gb being offered for 400$, but I wasn't sure if 40 was getting a price drop, or if they were killing that sku. I wonder if they're moving to 1 sku or if a new one will rise up.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
40GB will be no more. Sony says 80GB is the focus. No word of a new SKU, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
my bad, i shouldn't have said new sku...i don't know that, but sony did say they would be rolling out 65nm rsx chips in the fall.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Put HD prices in contrast. Even on new Dell laptops, it’s like a $5 upgrade to go from 60 gig to 80 gig right now. I haven’t seen a 40 gig business laptop for sale for a good year. Those things are about as dirt cheap as they can get.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Abulia /forum/post/14307243

At any rate, I'm thinking of returning my system just before the 30 days are up and waiting the month to get an 80 GB and dual-shock for the same price, and the hope that I will get a cooler-running all 65nm system. Sound crazy to anyone?

Crazy? No. Dishonest? Yes.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like they're just slipping an 80gb HDD in instead of a 40.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/14307934

Crazy? No. Dishonest? Yes.

I'm glad I'm not crazy. I know it's dishonest. In fact, I feel rather creepy even thinking of it. And yet, if I had waited two days longer to buy a PS3, I would have had this information. That makes me feel a little like a sucker. I know things move on and improve, but I'm not used to a two-day obsolescence curve
Meanwhile, BB says that their return policy is 30 days if I'm not completely satisfied with my purchase. Given the obsolescence, I'm far from "completely" satisfied.

I'm really enjoying the PS3 so far though. I just made a virtual version of my actual car in Gran Turismo, so it will give me something to occupy my mind for a few days as I weight the pros and cons of sub-honesty.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Abulia /forum/post/14310317

I'm glad I'm not crazy. I know it's dishonest. In fact, I feel rather creepy even thinking of it. And yet, if I had waited two days longer to buy a PS3, I would have had this information. That makes me feel a little like a sucker. I know things move on and improve, but I'm not used to a two-day obsolescence curve
Meanwhile, BB says that their return policy is 30 days if I'm not completely satisfied with my purchase. Given the obsolescence, I'm far from "completely" satisfied.

I'm really enjoying the PS3 so far though. I just made a virtual version of my actual car in Gran Turismo, so it will give me something to occupy my mind for a few days as I weight the pros and cons of sub-honesty.

You will probably have a 15% restocking fee if it was purchased at BB.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Considering Sony has announced they will be going 65nm RSX in the Fall, and this is coming out in the Fall, I would say its likely.

Or you can ask HeadRusch, he'll tell you it will come with a Sixaxis too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts