AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between these two. Are they in the same league? I'll be using this for 70% movies/30% music in a 12'x15' family room that opens to kitchen and living room.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't have a preference as far as the look goes - neither one is particularly good looking IMO. My main concern is performance.

One advantage I can see with the ED is having a warranty which the used SVS won't have. But if the performance of the SVS is significantly better, I'd be willing to go that route.

·
Registered
19,755 Posts
I know the SVS has great performance as I used to own the 16-46cs+ subs. I now own sonosubs with the eD 18 inch driver and it is great but I have no experience with their own subs and 12 inch drivers. I don't think you can go wrong. The cylinder will be much easier to move around. The box can act as an end table. The cylinder is tuned to 20 hz but can be lowered. What is the tune on the eD? Are you looking for deep bass extension over punch or the other way around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the specs from eD's site:

Room Tuning : 20Hz FR - (18-100Hz +/-3dB)

In Room Avg SPL : 116.66 dB (10-100Hz Max Output Avg)

And from SVS's:

User variable tuning: 20Hz (stock) 16 and 12hz

Response: +/- 3dB 20-100hz (20hz config)

The second question is hard for me to answer since I doubt I've really experienced deep bass extension or punch. I currently have a BIC H-100 and I'm sure either the eD or the SVS would provide a significant improvement in both areas.

·
Registered
19,755 Posts
I think the eD will be a little more powerful, 1-3 db's, according to the specs. I have 4 of the 18's and I am close to 140db's. truly impressive. Both will be a considerable upgrade.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclja /forum/post/14329586

Trying to decide between these two. Are they in the same league? I'll be using this for 70% movies/30% music in a 12'x15' family room that opens to kitchen and living room.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

for $500 shipped i'de go with the eD with the upgraded driver

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/14332184

for $500 shipped i'de go with the eD with the upgraded driver

I don't usually recommend subs, so this is just to negate this one-note wonder's recommendation. I had a PC20-39+ and it had almost everything I wanted. Nice voice,loud volume, simple placement...

I would have kept it but it was in an 8,800cf space and couldn't quite fill it. I traded up to the +/2 and it was a keeper.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/14332688

I owned the plus/2 as well. Nice sub.

As long as you have room for it. Now, if they could only get the same performance in a 10 pound package.

Have you found that you get accustomed to a sub to the point it looses perceived impact? Every sub I have had eventually seems to get weak. Even my +/2. It used to frighten me how powerful it was, but now it seams blasé. Guess it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
19,755 Posts
Great bass becomes addicting. I went from dual 16-46cs+ subs to a plus/2 to pro subs to 4 sonosubs. I used the plus/2 nearfield to get 120 db's(back seats) but the front seats were down 6 db's. I found out that the front of the room gave me a better response(within 1 db) but it would only get me 110 db's. The sono's give me over 130 db's where the plus/2 gave me 110. The sono's cost me $200 more than the plus/2.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've never heard the eD but I do have a 20-39 (not the plus) and a room nearly identical to yours and I love it. 12x15 isn't that big and I thought a box sub would take up way too much room. The cylinder sub disappears into the corner nicely and is actually occasionally overpowering (I keep it set pretty hot). The east wall in the room is nearly completely open and it still doesn't stress to fill the room with bass.

The sub you are looking at is $400 more than the eD when purchased new...I would hope its performance would be superior, although I realize that's not always the case.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From most reading I do it appears that the performance of the 2 subs is in the same "class". Its not like you are comparing a PC ULTRA with A3-300.

Either one will pressurize that small room quite well I would guess.

The choice basically comes down to warranty which the ED has and the SVS doesn't (you didn't say how old it was)

and form factor. I know you said you don't care about looks but in a 12 X 15 family room you may care about where you can place the sub. I just went through the same thing.

The ED sub takes up 18 X 20 inches of floor space the SVS is a 15 inch diamiter cylinder. The SVS will be easier to place except if you want to place it under your TV or screen becuase its tall.

The ED weighs about 30 lbs more.

So do you want a big balck box in your room or a small but taller big black cylinder?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for your advice! I think I'll go with the eD if for no other reason than that it's new and comes with a warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts