AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally pulled the trigger on an HDTV card. Was going to get the Fusion II, but can't live without pausing liveTV, and since AccessDTV dropped the price of their card under $200, I went for it this weekend. Should be here Friday - a week to spare before the SuperBowl!

Got some questions about the card and my rig, however. Here's a description of my rig:

1) DirecTV S-video output into HTPC IOMagic vidcap card S-video input.

2) DirecTV Coax audio output into Denon 1082 Receiver Coax(1) input.

3) HTPC Radeon 9000 VGA output to Panasonic LC75u Projector VGA input.

4) HTPC Coax audio output (nForce2 Mobo) to Denon 1082 Receiver Coax(2) input.

When watching DirecTV, I send the audio directly to the Denon's Coax(1) input, bypassing the HTPC - the video goes into the HTPC, through DScaler, and out to my projector.

When watching a DVD, the audio comes from my nForce2 Mobo's SPDIF Coax out into my Denon's Coax(2) input.

Now that I'm going to add the AccessDTV card to this setup, I have a question:

1) Does the AccessDTV spit video out through my Video card's VGA port, or does it use its own external VGA port?

2) If it uses it's own VGA port, am I going to need some kind of Y splitter VGA port so I can still see my PC's desktop, or is that what the passthrough cable that comes with the card is for?

3) Will the AccessDTV spit the DD 5.1 audio out through my nForce2 motherboard's sound card, or am I going to have to use ANOTHER Coax input on my Denon to receive Coax output from the AccessDTV card (not to mention having to buy another Coax audio cable)?

I'm guessing the answers are 1: it's own port, 2: use the pass through, and 3) you lose the surround sound if you don't use the AccessDTV's Coax output. *sigh*

Naturally, this morning I was telling a buddy about it and about my forthcoming big HDTV SuperBowl party at my place (HDTV SuperBowl on a 10' diagonal screen - woohoo!), and he told me about channel 11 here in Houston has a problem with their digital signal where once per minute, the screen pixellates and stops for 3-5 seconds. Guess which channel the SuperBowl is on down here in Houston? *sigh* Story of my life...

--KS

·
Registered
140 Posts
1. The ADTV spits it out it's own VGA port. You can connect your video card output to a "vga input" on the AccessDTV (using the included passthru cable). The monitor is then connected to the AccessDTV card and the ADTV software allows you to toggle between your desktop and the HDTV picture. I prefer the 2 monitor setup, where the Access DTV always spits out a HDTV picture and your video card output works at the same time. You then need to connect this to 2 inputs on your monitor.

3. This is supposed to work, but I have never tried it myself. There is a discussion about this in one of the other ADTV threads on this forum.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KlingonScum

Naturally, this morning I was telling a buddy about it and about my forthcoming big HDTV SuperBowl party at my place (HDTV SuperBowl on a 10' diagonal screen - woohoo!), and he told me about channel 11 here in Houston has a problem with their digital signal where once per minute, the screen pixellates and stops for 3-5 seconds. Guess which channel the SuperBowl is on down here in Houston? *sigh* Story of my life...

--KS
KS,

I'm also an owner of an AccessDTV card here in the Houston area and have connected it to the Silver Sensor antenna that came with it for HD OTA reception. Channel 11 (KHOU-DT 31) is one of the channels in which I receive a very strong signal. I don't get drop-outs like your friend states and CBS's HDTV broadcasts have been top-notch from my experience.

His observation might be caused by a mis-tuned antenna or if he's talking about HDTV on Time Warner Cable, that's a different issue.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sjpdavis
KS,

I'm also an owner of an AccessDTV card here in the Houston area and have connected it to the Silver Sensor antenna that came with it for HD OTA reception. Channel 11 (KHOU-DT 31) is one of the channels in which I receive a very strong signal. I don't get drop-outs like your friend states and CBS's HDTV broadcasts have been top-notch from my experience.

His observation might be caused by a mis-tuned antenna or if he's talking about HDTV on Time Warner Cable, that's a different issue.
Well, I actually live pretty far out in the boonies of Houston (I'm about 8 miles west of Magnolia, which is about 10-15 miles north of Tomball), so it will be interesting to see how that bundled antenna works. The nice thing about living out so far is that I don't have a wide antenna angle between the HDTV channels - they're all SouthSouthWest of me. :)

The guy who told me about Channel 11's drop outs was referring to OTA, not cable. I mentioned the drop-outs to another friend of mine last night he said he's seen them too. However, this morning the first guy sent me an e-mail message and says he didn't see any dropouts during the state of the union address last night, so it may have been an intermittant thing that they're getting a handle on.

Checked on the status of my order - I ordered it Saturday morning, but they didn't ship until yesterday. My brother-in-law (who, unlike me, can be counted on to NOT fall off the roof or bolt himself to the roof decking during an antenna install) is only available to help me this weekend; I sure hope the thing gets here by Friday...

I'd better start looking for a new Hard Drive for my HTPC; it's currently chugging along on a very old Maxtor 7.2GB right now; I figure that's probably good for about a half hour of HD pause time *sigh*...

--KS

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The card showed up yesterday. Having a few minor issues with it I'm sure I can work out (I have another thread on that topic going right now). That antenna is fantastic - and I watched some channel 11 last night - no dropouts.

--KS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.