AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Alien Saga (boxed set of 4 movies). I am not that much into "extras" other than extra footage so I was not that excited about the appearance of the Alien Quadrilogy.

However, it appears the version of Alien3 on the new set has a version with 30 (!) extra minutes of footage as well as some cuts, to make a substantially different film. Since the original was something of a fiasco, I am wondering if this new version (now available seperately, albeit somewhat pricey) is that much better than the original that it is worth getting if you already have the original.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Do you mean you have the "Alien Legacy"? I wouldn't "upgrade" to Alien3 unless you really liked that movie. I didn't. I bought the Quad, just for the first two movies, and the packaging was very cool ;) I sold the Legacy, but I miss having all the individual Amaray Cases!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I just purchased Alien3 a couple of days ago and watched the first half yesterday. The extra footage is quite interesting and different from the original film. I love the mood of this movie and the cinematography is awesome(the pq is top notch also).

I never hated this movie but it got bashed pretty hard and I think the reason it was is because they got rid of two crucial characters from Aliens off the bat and the whole movie is very dark, depressing, and dreadful...but that makes it more interesting IMO. Plus the characters are not really built up for you to care about them...and I believe that was the writer's intention, this movie is solely about Ripley.

I recommend this movie, simply because it is beautiful to look at.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I really enjoyed the new cut. My wife commented that the new cut was much more dramatic than the theatrical version. To me an extended cut of Alien 3 was the Holy Grail of the Alien series (I always wanted it but thought for sure that I would never see it).

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
The extended cut is excellent but for 2 scenes one involves the dog and the other involves the appearance of the queen alien, i won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the film but both scenes should have been left in the extended cut.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I got the Quadrilogy for Christmas and haven't watched 3 yet. But I did really enjoy the added footage in Aliens. Got to get around to watching the last two.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
The last time I saw the theatrical cut of Aliens3 was, well, in the theater. I bought the quad and watched the "new" A3 a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. I couldn't understand why Aliens3 gets such a bad rap. Towards the end though, I kept thinking that there was a scene with a dog or dogs in it that was missing. Now I know I'm not nuts, it's just not in the new edition.

So is it safe to assume that the new edition is a better movie, but left out scenes that they shouldn't have? I'm sure there are folks who will think that the new one stinks as much as the original, but I liked it. :)

Cary

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I loved Alien and Aliens. When Alien 3 came out I was so disappointed, not only in what they did with the franchise, but also the the movie it's self, I just didn't like it.

I do now however own the Quadriliogy, and I must say that the new cut of Alien3 is much improved... I enjoyed it, so much more than the theatrical cut. Even though the sound is a little dodgy in places with the dropped in footage I think it is well worth the price.

Even resurrection is improved greatly on the box set. According the into by the director, all they added was a updated intro, that proved not to be the case, in many many sequences throughout the movie the scenes were 'extended' mainly for extended dialogue - managing to take the witty comic book feel out of the dialogue and again vastly improving the movie and developing characters.

- Rick

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hard to discuss this without including spoilers, and I'm not sure how to do the spoiler thing, but my impression from reading about the Quadrilogy was this:

In the theatrical cut, the alien incubated in a dog, which was supposed to explain why it was smaller and ran on all fours instead of being essentially bipedal - it creates its adult form to some extent based on the DNA of the host.

In the extended cut, the alien incubates in something else (not sure I remember exactly what). I do not know what effect this has on the alien's looks or mode of locomotion.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) That's right, it incubates in an ox.

Before the movie was released I read the novel based on the movie. This new workprint is pretty much exactly what I remember reading in the novel. I'm glad that we finally have the full version.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Though I agree that the end should've remained the same as the theatrical cut with the chest burster, and I think it would've if Fincher had agreed to do a new cut of the film. I thought it was really funny in the interviews when the special effects guys said people laughed at the alien coming out of Ripley's chest at the end, I don't think that was what they were laughing at, I think it was the TERRIBLE special effects work that was done on those shots

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Though I agree that the end should've remained the same as the theatrical cut with the chest burster, and I think it would've if Fincher had agreed to do a new cut of the film. I thought it was really funny in the interviews when the special effects guys said people laughed at the alien coming out of Ripley's chest at the end, I don't think that was what they were laughing at, I think it was the TERRIBLE special effects work that was done on those shots
Whether it was the effects or the concept, you have to admit that shot, in it's original form, is just hilariously bad. It completely spoils the effect of Ripley's final act. The new cut is immeasureably better, IMHO, just for leaving that shot out. If Fincher had actually wanted to come back and diddle with that shot it might have been interesting, but in his absence the decision to drop it was a good one.

Personally, I consider Alien3 to be the "most improved" film in the quadrilogy. The new cut is a vast improvement. I'd actually go as far to call it a good movie now. That means it literally leap-frogged right over Alien: Ressurection (which is still crap) in terms of quality and is now a substantially better film.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, I think Alien Resurrection is a very good movie, certainly better than 99% of the scifi movies out there. Jeunet had a hard act to follow after the first two movies and he managed to do a good job with his trademark unusual visuals (like the opening credits, which are very disturbing and hint at the genetic mixing done in the film - another example is the underwater scene).

The dialog makes me wince in one or two places, but that isn't bad considering the director didn't speak English. Seeing Winona Ryder in a scifi movie is a real treat (someone commented that the best effect in Alien Resurrection is Winona Ryder's eyes, and they were not an effect!) and I thought she did a great job - she probably has the best line too.

As for Alien 3, the original was obviously disappointing to almost everyone, and I would like to see how much the revised edition improves it. Unfortunately I haven't seen it for a decent price anywhere, at least not yet.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Anybody think they will eventually start putting the individual movies in 2-packs? That would reduce the price quite a bit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is still around $20 per movie, which is a lot to pay if you already have the Alien Legacy set.

·
Registered
513 Posts
$41 at Costco for the 9-disk set.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Come on guys/gals we're all used to being doubled dipped by now! ;)

I'll have to hunt for a costco here in OK. I liked Resurrection; I think it opened up some new possibilities for the series. I keep hearing the rumor about a possible Scott/Cameron team up for another Alien movie but I think that is all it is, a rumor.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.