Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My first post and I hope this is appropriate. My thing is asian film. I was thrilled to find the Malata and my friends are envious; however, with the current issues with Malata players, minor in my opinion, have resulted in the search for another such player. I found on a site this player (I've just copied their notes, I'm not sure if this ok or not, but here it is:BodySonic DVD-938K (All code NTSC/PAL dual dvd karaoke player)

Don't be fool by the brand name BodySonic, it is a Japan company since 1976; a company has a long history of making special video audio equipment. This DVD-938 is original ALL CODE dvd player, not the modified as usal found. Since the dis-continue of SMC, this player is the best of all. Most important, while many dealers sell regular DVD player, this player is ALL CODE. Not only that, it plays any dvd in the world. It plays NTSC (US format) and European, Japan PAL format. One adavantage is it did not require to to program, to switch oe even do anything with the remote control, it will JUST PLAY the dvd right. You DO NOT HAVE TO BUY a PAL (or Multi-channel) TV, IT WILL PLAY PAL DVD RIGHT with your esisting NTSC TV. It even comes with Karaoke features with two microphone inputs. So far no one could beat this player. Try to find a dvd player which play PAL in New York, some dealer will said Pioneer 343 will play, BUT THEY ARE WRONG. It may play PAL VCD, but not PAL DVD.

Their Price $499, Our price $389; Built-in Dobly Digital (AC-3) 5.1 Decoder, dts Digital Out, Dobly Digital (AC-3) Out, Digital Optical/Coaxial Out, 24 bit/96 KHz Audio DAC, Component Video Out (Y, Cb, Cr), 10 bit Video DAC, S-Video/Composite Video Out, Digital Karaoke Function, Automatic switch AC power from 100V to 240 V, 50/60 Hz.

Any news on this player from any of you tech experts?

Thanks,

Shelley

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Japan is R2 NTSC not PAL.

All new JVC progressive players play PAL discs on any NTSC TV. They use the same chip as Malata but do not have problems.

JVC can be moded thru software so even warranty remains in tact.

·
Registered
104 Posts
CKNA:

How well would a modded JVC be able to do the scaling needed for the correct picture size when viewing PAL-NTSC converted video? Can it do the x-y scaling that the Malata does?

Keith Smith

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any website for info about the BodySonic DVD-938K ?? I am interested, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything via internet

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Keith,

Mod does not change anything in a player. Whatever scaling it does it will do after the mod. I know it does not have X-Y scaling like Malata but conversion is perfect. It does not screw up picture like Apex or Sampo. This is why I only do mods on major brands players, because those other ones are crap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
CKNA,

I saw a progressive scan JVC player at a local store and very briefly played with the remote control. It seemed to have 13 zoom choices available, but I did not see that it would let me fill a 16:9 screen left to right, maintaining a correct height when viewing 4:3 source material. If I knew that it could do this for converted PAL movies, I'd probably get a modded JVC to play around with.

Keith Smith

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Keith,

I have not played with those players yet. I will check as soon as I get a chance. Others have reported that it does scaling so it may be true. I know for sure that there is no X-Y adjustment though.

Shelley,

Judging from the picture, this player looks like a clone of a Sampo.

If it is, this means it is crap picture quality wise and way overpriced. You can get from me all region JVC progressive player way cheaper than that and with full manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the JVC xv-s62sl progressive scan player and I absolutely love it.I have played a few pal region 0 discs and I got a very good picture.Some other bells and wistles:

-does convert 4:3 material to 16:9

-has 5 progressive modes to choose from

-choose from progressive to interlaced mode from the REMOTE!

-can choose not to window-box non animorphic discs

-the player itself can be adjusted for brightness, contrast, sharpness,gamma,tint,color, and y delay.It will remeber your settings

-plays mp3,cd-r,and cd-rw

-comes with component cables

-can be zoomed as much as x1024

-memorizes interrupted playback,even when power is turned off

-does not suffer from the "chroma bug"

This is my first progressive scan player so I'm not an expert. I wanted a player that would give a good display of 4:3 material on a 16:9 tv,not just animorphic discs. Plus,with a price of $230,it is a hard player to top,imho.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For new all-region PAL/NTSC DVD players, I suggest you guys have a look at BBK DVD-BBK919PS. It is a progessive-scan DVD player which can also output PAL progressive. It is now being sold in HiViZone .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.