AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off; I have been lurking here for a few years. What a great forum to exchange ideas and info. Keep up the great work everyone!

OK. Now onto the latest and greatest, at least for me. I have read about and tried hundreds of paint mixtures over the last 2 years in the hopes of finding the utopian paint mix. I have monkeyed around with whites, blacks, silvers, aluminums phosphorescent, oil base and latex paints and mixtures thereof. I don't recall reading about this mixture before, som my apologies if this has been done already.

One day, after trying some frustration, I just started mixing a few cans I had left. I found that if I added some clear to aluminum, light rejection dramatically improved. That was a start. I must have tried about 50 iterations of this mix and have finally settled on one that improves light rejection, does not compromise white and black too much, colours look good and although viewing cone is still narrow, is much improved over plain aluminum.

This is my mix:

20 mL Tremclad Aluminum

5 mL Tremclad Flat White Rust Paint

5 mL Tremclad Flat Black Rust Paint

5 mL Varathane Diamond Wood Finish-Satin

Primer Tremclad Gray

I painted a 2' x 2' piece of MDF with that mix. All I can say is wow! Light rejection is unbelievable. Whites are white, blacks are black. It's almost like watching a CRT during the day with the blinds drawn. Room is an 2nd floor bedroom that faces west so I get alot of sun on that side of the house after noon. When the sun goes down, the blacks tend to go a little gray. But overall, this one is a winner! Look out DNP!! Just kidding.

Current setup. BenqPB6100 about 400 hours. Aluminum painted screen on drywall. Varathane Water based clearcoat topcoat.

This new mix blows my current screen away. And I thought my current screen was good.

I have installed a dimmer on my ceiling lights and this has helped with blacks at night.

I just need to paint a larger panel tose how much the warm spot wil bother me. So far, no matter where I have hung the panel, it looks like the warm spot is not an issue. Sparklies are also a non issue. Veiwing cone is still compromised, but not a distraction for me.

I was wondering if someone with more experience than me can comment of what you think with this mix. If you have some time try it and see what you think. I have not rolled it yet, only sprayed. I also have not tried it on drywall yet.

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
This is my mix:

20 mL Tremclad Aluminum

5 mL Tremclad Flat White Rust Paint

5 mL Tremclad Flat Black Rust Paint

5 mL Varathane Diamond Wood Finish-Satin

Primer Tremclad Gray
Any possiblity of conversion to your friends between Canada and Mexico?

Thanks

PS screen shots would be nice. :)

Victor

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you could use Rustoleum products. Tremclad is sold up here in Canada. I would try Rustoleum aluminum, flat white and flat black. I'm sure they also have a gray primer. As far as the clearcoat is concerned, I would use any oil based clear satin product.

Can't post shots or URLs yet. Not enough posts.

Try this:

boomspeeddotcombackslashbenvenbackslashP8070006.JPG

boomspeeddotcombackslashbenvenbackslashP8070003.JPG

Nice fleshtones!

Pictures taken without a flash. It's an old Olympus camera and I am not a camera buff so please forgive the quality.

Upper panel is the mix I describe. The lower panel is a variant, wich I don't think is as good. It has a higher aluminum to white/black ratio. It also has more clearcoat.

Background is the aluminum and clearcoat screen. Bright sunny day here. Blinds are drawn in the room. Look at the blacks and colours. Not very good pictures but I think they get the point across.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works for me?? Is anyone else having difficulties? I only need 2 more posts now to insert a proper URL in the thread!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sirquack.

Good point about the volume conversion. 1 ounce=29.5 mL. Hope that helps.

I would appreciate any feedback on the screenshots. Good bad or ugly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is this a all in one mix, or is it a layerd preparation?

You cant keep this a secret ya know :p

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys. In my haste to share this information, I forgot to mention a few things. Yes, it is one mix. No basecoat or topcoat. That was one of the objectives for this project, ease of application. With the quantity I mixed up, I was able to make several passes on a 2' x 2' MDF sheet. So I only did "one coat". Basically, primer and then the aluminum mixture.

Hope that helps.

No secrets here :) I want to share this info to see if it is really as good as I see it. I really would like someone else to try it and give me their opinion. It would be an honour if someone like KBK or MM can chime in!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,650 Posts
Ding Dong.

Looks to have promise, but put up some shots with bright colors and "white' whites.

Got ta see if the "Big Crush" is there or not.

Perhaps the subject at hand in a white bikini, framed against a blue sky, with a cruse ship in the background.

That's not asking too much, is it? :eek: :D

The amounts listed are very small. The paints pretty expensive in quantity amounts. And there is a lot to mix up. But those factors won't stop enthusiastic DIY'er if your next round of screenies show potential.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try and get some shots tonight!

Whites, in my opinion are not crushed. But we will let the masters opine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I forgot to add, the sun is hitting my 4 windows on that room. The windows cover about half of the wall!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I did some internet surfing and found out that Tremclad is in fact the same as Rustoleum.

Different countries, different names, same company.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent.

I don't think that the paints are that expensive. A liter (quart) of aluminum paint is $16 Cdn. Same goes for the white, black, primer and clearcoat. In fact you only need 250 mL cans of white, black and clear. For around $65 Cdn you can paint at least 1 screen 8' x 6'.

·
Registered
487 Posts
benven...does your original screen have a flat or satin clearcoat on top?

Just trying to get my head around what happened. Do you think the half black and half white mix alone is lighter or darker then the aluminum? Would you say the aluminum by itself is like a reflective metal or does it seem to have a glossy component? I'm just wondering if transferring this to a waterbase solution if adding one part flat grey paint like silverscreen ( probably need something darker ) to two parts silver metallic and 1/2 a part of some clear gloss has a chance. I remember people going heavier on the silverscreen side and not getting good results so this could revive something. Its very interesting for a one coat solution.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been looking at the Rust-Oleum website, trying to figure out which paints you have used, and it occured to me that you never mentioned wether these are latex, or Enamels you are using. It's a little difficult to zero in on the exact paint you used, especially the Aluminum part. On the other hand, I did find the Varathane Diamond Wood Finish listed.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ender, I used a satin clearcoat, topcoat. In my eyes, a half white, half balck mixture is pretty close in colour to the aluminum, maybe a little darker. The aluminum is reflective. I tried a bunch of variations in latex paints and could not get anything close to this mix. I tried silverscreen, silve metallic, opal, deep base, glaze, white, black, clearcoats, basecoats and topcoats of theswe components. I even threw in some phosphorescent latex paint. Nothing really comes close to the performance of my aluminum mix. Unfortunately, everything is a compromise and as I stated earlier, black level retention in a dark room is compromised a bit with this aluminum mixture. It is a little lighter than the base screen at night. Add a little ambient light and she somes back to life :D !

KLAATUWI, sorry about that :( . All of the paints are enamels. I have only sprayed the mix on. I will try rolling it on in the near future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
benven, do you think that your mix will work if it is painted on a large canvas, im in the progress of making a screen and i like the results of your findings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am gonna do this on a drywall screen I am making 8 feet by 12 feet, as soon as I get the gumption to make it to home depot and fuse 2-4 pieces of drywall together

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.