AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prime day was good to me this year and I picked up a new 55" Amazon (Element) 4k UHD TV for $400 to replace my old 1080 LG.

Everything is hooked to a Marantz NR1603 and the TV is using ARC to get back to the receiver to enable the apps to play through the home theater.

Here's where things get tricky: Music apps such as Amazon Music and Spotify work great from the TV to the receiver. However, apps with 5.1 sound (Netflix, Amazon Video) sound like the noises the aliens in District 9 make.

I'm relatively sure this is a set-up issue, but I've been through everything several times and am too much of a novice to figure it out.

Help!!!!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I can't answer your specific question, but ARC is quite problematic for most folks around here. It is usually less headaches to just run an optical cable back to the AVR for the TV audio.

Reactions: atilley

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't answer your specific question, but ARC is quite problematic for most folks around here. It is usually less headaches to just run an optical cable back to the AVR for the TV audio.
Yup, for the most part you're not losing much doing it either, 90% of streaming media is lower bitrate DD+ audio. DD+ can be sent via optical so long as the bitrate doesn't exceed 1600kbps I believe, however, I'm not sure if the TV will attempt to send DD+ or the DD core. The only issue with not sending raw DD+ would be a lack of some forms of metadata such as Atmos, however, at this time Vudu is the only provider of atmos tracks, and only on UHD content.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the help! I guess digging out an old optical cable in the basement is better than the temper tantrum I've been having.

If there's any insight into the ARC issue, I'm all ears, but to keep my sanity I'm going to go old school.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow Up

I plugged the TV in via optical cable and it worked great for a few days, then last night I turned it on and all apps that use Dolby 5.1 had very low volume. The stereo apps (spotify, Amazon music) were fine.

After a good amount of time on the phone with Amazon, it was determined that my TV is defective and is being exchanged at no charge.

I'll update when I get the new unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts