AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote the people at paradigm and asked if my avr was enough to drive the speakers (140 watts 2 channels playing) and they suggested that I get a separate amp to drive d the two 100"s. One with at least 200

watts rms. The reason why I am not satisfied is that the highs seem overly harsh which makes music listening difficult for any length of time. I have a fairly large room over 3000 cubic feet with openings to other rooms. My question is are the harsh highs inherent to the speaker or could it be that I'm getting some distortion because of under powering them. dI do like d to listen fairly loudly but not past 0 on the scale.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519748/new-amp-for-paradigm-studio-100v2#post_24406262

I wrote the people at paradigm and asked if my avr was enough to drive the speakers (140 watts 2 channels playing) and they suggested that I get a separate amp to drive d the two 100"s. One with at least 200

watts rms. The reason why I am not satisfied is that the highs seem overly harsh which makes music listening difficult for any length of time. I have a fairly large room over 3000 cubic feet with openings to other rooms. My question is are the harsh highs inherent to the speaker or could it be that I'm getting some distortion because of under powering them. dI do like d to listen fairly loudly but not past 0 on the scale.

I'm not so sure a separate amp would help with this problem.

What kind of AVR are you using?

If it has room correction (ie Audyssey) is it being used? Was it set-up properly?

What does your room look like??? Or should I say "sound like"?

For example if you have tile or wood floors the harshness you describe

Could be because of the high frequencies "bouncing around"

Same thing applies to your walls. Glass is also highly reflective. (Ie-sliding glass door/org picture window.)

Is this something that has recently popped up or have you just put up with it for awhile.

What are the sources-movies/music? If music is it highly compressed ie Pandora?

Lastly, have you tried adjusting the treble on the AVR?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had these speakers in several locations in different places. Some with carpeting and some with carpeting and tile. Now they are on would floors but have several large throw rugs along with k furniture and such.. I really don't believe it's the acoustics. I have run the speakers with a denon 3802 and now an Onqyo 875. There is no difference in sound. It is the same problem. The Highs are to harsh. I start listing and after a short while I quit. It is not very satisifying.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I can;'t stand compressed music like Pandora at all. I have used odessy and have adjusted the treble also. It still doesn't answer my question about the value of a more powerfull amp. AND I DO aPRECIATE YOUR COMENT

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519748/new-amp-for-paradigm-studio-100v2#post_24409279

I have had these speakers in several locations in different places. Some with carpeting and some with carpeting and tile. Now they are on would floors but have several large throw rugs along with k furniture and such.. I really don't believe it's the acoustics. I have run the speakers with a denon 3802 and now an Onqyo 875. There is no difference in sound. It is the same problem. The Highs are to harsh. I start listing and after a short while I quit. It is not very satisifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519748/new-amp-for-paradigm-studio-100v2#post_24409288

Also I can;'t stand compressed music like Pandora at all. I have used odessy and have adjusted the treble also. It still doesn't answer my question about the value of a more powerfull amp. AND I DO aPRECIATE YOUR COMENT

If you are still experiencing the same issues after what you described above and using 2 different brands

Of AVR's then...

NO, I don't think adding an external amp will improve the issue. IMHO!

If want to try an external amp go ahead,but make sure you can return it if doesn't do the trick.

Paradigm speakers are known to be a bit bright or forward. Maybe their metal dome

Tweeters aren't your cup of tea. There are other options though, many folks are raving

About speakers with "ribbon tweeters" but they aren't cheap.

Keep us updated plz...good luck

·
Banned
1,191 Posts

Do you just have the 2 speakers, not theater surround?  Does your room have carpeted floors or bare?  

Paradigm are known to be somewhat bright, and so are that vintage of Onkyo.  I have the 876, and several pairs of Paradigm in my collection, though none from the Studio line.  I have Monitor, Signature and the Performance line.  I had the same problem with my signature S6 pair.  I have found that Parasound and NAD integrated amps are both on the warmer side which helps.  Also, you really do play it at the high end of the volume scale.  Nothing wrong with that, but you are pushing the Onkyo with a tougher load.  I'd agree that more amp would handle your demands better without any straining.  Not cheap though.

If you just have stereo sound(2 speakers), Parasound's 2250 amp would be a decent option, or NAD's C-275 BEE.  If you've got the money, the Parasound A21 is good if you can negotiate a deal.  It solved my issue.  You will get plenty of advice, but best to demo amps if you can with music you are familiar with.  Maybe a Paradigm dealer carries either of these?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts