AVS Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 4994 Posts

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/19131195

Anybody have a crown xls 202D, 402D ,,, are they any good ?

Anybody got anything to say about the crown XLS cheapo amps ???????

Have you even read any of this thread at all, or done a search of the thread?

If not, here's a hint, the answers you seek are most certainly in it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

I have read this thread from beginning to end. A lot of information to learn.

Anyway, currently I am running an Emo UPA-7 for my Mythos 7.1 speakers with PIO VSX-9040.

Overall the sound is OK but I still looking for a little bit more.

I want to get XLS 402D for my fronts and XLS 202 for the center: very affordable! But not sure about bridging the 202 for the M8 center.

Should I go for 2 402D instead?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 /forum/post/19134672

Hi,

I have read this thread from beginning to end. A lot of information to learn.

Anyway, currently I am running an Emo UPA-7 for my Mythos 7.1 speakers with PIO VSX-9040.

Overall the sound is OK but I still looking for a little bit more.

I want to get XLS 402D for my fronts and XLS 202 for the center: very affordable! But not sure about bridging the 202 for the M8 center.

Should I go for 2 402D instead?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Since you have UPA-7 than 402D would play louder on paper, but, like you, I want to find out more about these low-end crown amps. On paper they look like a good deal for the money, but are they just junk or are they good sounding bare to the bone amps. I know fan noise maybe an issue but there are cheap easy fixs for that, but as for how they sound is unknown. From what a read the XLS are not good for driving subs, but for full range speakers maybe good. The old pricing seems to of made the XLS a poor value / choice, compared to the other amps in there price range. Now that there dirt cheap at about a third of the old price, now how do they sound

I looked though this thread, but there just ain't that much info about the newest XLS amps (the models there selling now).

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/19131195

Anybody have a crown xls 202D, 402D ,,, are they any good ?

Anybody got anything to say about the crown XLS cheapo amps ???????

For the price range I think you would be much better off going with a cheaper Behringer EP-4000 amp.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19139151

For the price range I think you would be much better off going with a cheaper Behringer EP-4000 amp.

If I were going for a 350 dollar amp, than. yea, EP-4000 would be the way to go. The crown 202D would be only $134 , 402D is $179, 602D $224... I don't need the power or all the features just the basics.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I now have a Behringer EPQ1200 to play with. Cost me $250. My speakers are a pair of Axiom M80s.

Before I can do critical listening I need to improve the sonic characteristics of my large bare room, and mount the Behringer on the other side of the wall where I can't hear the fan.

So far I can say it sounds pretty good and goes *very* loud!

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003 /forum/post/19414441

I now have a Behringer EPQ1200 to play with. Cost me $250. My speakers are a pair of Axiom M80s.

Before I can do critical listening I need to improve the sonic characteristics of my large bare room, and mount the Behringer on the other side of the wall where I can't hear the fan.

Welcome to the amplification first, no unfounded audiophile bs world of two channel amplifiers.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003

What were you running prior to the EPQ1200?

Unfortunately not everyone is following this route. A guy at PF followed the regular town jokers over there and went with an HK 3490 for 2.0 instead of an external DAC and something like the XLS 402d. I don't think the amp section in that HK will even begin to keep up with the 402d.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/19567889

Unfortunately not everyone is following this route. A guy at PF followed the regular town jokers over there and went with an HK 3490 for 2.0 instead of an external DAC and something like the XLS 402d. I don't think the amp section in that HK will even begin to keep up with the 402d.

If it doesn't he can always add in the Crown amp (or any other amp for that matter) later if he wants to see how it would work with his setup and use the HK as a pre. I think it was a good starting point.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/19567889

I (still) have a Pioneer VSX-1120-K. I consider it an extremely good receiver for the money ($500). Great sound quality, pre-outs, and fantastic video processing.

Since the Pioneer goes loud enough for 99% of my current listening requirements I have not been using the EPQ1200 much. Note that I have only two speakers at the moment. Once I add center, surrounds, rears, etc., and the Pioneer starts buckling under the load I may find more use for the external amp.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/19569344

If it doesn't he can always add in the Crown amp (or any other amp for that matter) later if he wants to see how it would work with his setup and use the HK as a pre. I think it was a good starting point.

I know... At least I know some polksters actually participate outside of PF

While that HK is solid it's S/N ratio sucks compared to the SRC when comparing the DAC section.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/19571342

I know... At least I know some polksters actually participate outside of PF

While that HK is solid it's S/N ratio sucks compared to the SRC when comparing the DAC section.

I honestly dont know enough about DAC's to comment so I wont
. I just know HK has a good rep for driving speakers and listing their spec's on the low side.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/19571474

I honestly dont know enough about DAC's to comment so I wont
. I just know HK has a good rep for driving speakers and listing their spec's on the low side.

It measures well even into 4 ohm loads. AH put it through the paces . C'est la vi.

·
Registered
566 Posts
So I need a recommendation for my speakers. I am currently having 2xCLS15 as my front speakers driven bi-amped with my Dussun V6i ( bass) and Sherwood 8500 tweeter and mid..

I am thinking about getting a QSC 2450HD to drive my bass units and keep the Dussun for my tweeters!!

For my center i have my CLS6 Center and CLS6's for rears and B&W 604i active subs(x2) for bottom bass.

Hope someone can help me!

Janus

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza
So I need a recommendation for my speakers. I am currently having 2xCLS15 as my front speakers driven bi-amped with my Dussun V6i ( bass) and Sherwood 8500 tweeter and mid..

I am thinking about getting a QSC 2450HD to drive my bass units and keep the Dussun for my tweeters!!

For my center i have my CLS6 Center and CLS6's for rears and B&W 604i active subs(x2) for bottom bass.

Hope someone can help me!

Janus
Help you with what exactly? It sounds like you have your bi-amp scenario figured out.

I would say if the QSC has the power envelope for your speakers don't bother bi-amping unless you are going active on your cross over.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/19748269

Help you with what exactly? It sounds like you have your bi-amp scenario figured out.

I would say if the QSC has the power envelope for your speakers don't bother bi-amping unless you are going active on your cross over.

Well I want more power and replace the Sherwood... So I wanted advise on which QSC i should get to drive my woofers in the CLS15 front speakers..

·
Registered
596 Posts
For your CSL15 they remind me my old D9(same spec) and my Crown XLS 402B (260 watts a side) made them sing.

When i tried my QSC RMX1850HD(360 watts a side) was on the edge too much i could have push the amp more but i would a done damage to my speakers.

Your CSL15 are rated 400 watts peak so 200 watts RMS and you should look at something in the 200-300 watts ish mark if was me. The QSC RMX2450 (500 watts per side) will be fine if you know what you are doing but if you are not sure chances are you will end up with a smoke show in your room without a smoke generator Lol.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by januza /forum/post/19753233

Well I want more power and replace the Sherwood... So I wanted advise on which QSC i should get to drive my woofers in the CLS15 front speakers..

What are your speakers power handling spec? the 2450 does 450watts RMS at 8ohm / 650 at 4 ohm...

Sounds like it would have more than enough. Probably overkill actually.

4661 - 4680 of 4994 Posts