AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my PS3 as a media server. Since switching to my new amp (Pioneer vsx919ah-k), I have audio problems playing anything thru my PS3 (dvd, mp3 or avi streamed from computer thru PS3)

I notice when playing .avi thru PS3, the 'PCM' on amp display flickers everytime the sound skips. It occurs 2 to 3 times every 10 seconds.

The same happens when playing a dvd in PS3. It occurs often as well. There is no problems with video playback.

When playing mp3, stored on PS3 hard drive, the music skips and at the same time the 'Dolby IIx' switches to 'Stereo'. It lasts for only a half second or so, then 'Dolby IIx' shows again and the music plays again. It occurs roughly every 10 seconds or so, making music listening impossible.

The amp does work fine with HD satellite feed.

So, I am not sure what the problem is, any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hmmm....might be a bad receiver. The HDMI cable seems to work, and the PS3 was working.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, there isnt an output setting on the PS3, or setting on the amp that I need to change? My previous amp was a Denon 3808CI, and maybe being a better amp it had no problem with the PS3 settings.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I should post my findings.

Setting the PS3 to 48 khz output helped, but did not solve the problem. The music still skips with the PCM signal, only less.

I would say that this avr cant handle PCM input.

Good news is that I got my Denon 3808CI back today, so I no longer care!!! It works just fine with PCMs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And just for the record, this Pioneer VSX 919AH-K avr runs very hot.

I now have it running my upstairs set up, which is a simple HTIB surround with TV, and I am going to have to install a fan into cabinet to avoid an issue I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.