AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally finished my media room with projector, amp, cable box, and gaming systems (PS3 for BlueRay/DVD). The equipment is all on the side wall of the room and the projector is above and behind my seating area.

I purchased a Logitech 550, but due to the placement of the equipment, (all over the room) when I attempt an activity it often misses communicating with one or more of the devices

Is there some kind of a 180 degree IR repeater I can buy to put at the front of my room that would resend the signal in all directions so that my projector and equipment rack see it? Thanks for any advice guys.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
There are a few things you can do. If you are really attached to your Harmony 550 then you can set up an IR repeater system, or look into the Next Generation Remote Control Extender but I'm not sure if it works with the 550 or not.

Otherwise you can look into replacing your remote with an RF remote like the Harmony 890 or the different URC remotes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Beerstalker. I had looked at that as an option, but I don't see why I need to fully go RF. Is there not just an IR receive to multidirectional IR blaster type of a device out there?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you go to ebay and search for "powermid remote extender" you will find many units that you can use to do this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Robman. I think this will work as well, but changing to RF doesn't make sense to me. I don't need to go through any walls as all of my equipment is either behind glass or open air in the same room. They're just in different places.

Is there not some kind of IR receiver to IR multidirectional blaster device that doesn't even mess with the RF conversion?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
IR is for when you have direct line of sight, and if you had direct line of sight you wouldn't be here asking your question. The powermid will let you point the remote forward and have it control the device behind you. You don't need to have to go through a wall in order to need a powermid type device.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiemundo /forum/post/15465083

Thanks Robman. I think this will work as well, but changing to RF doesn't make sense to me. I don't need to go through any walls as all of my equipment is either behind glass or open air in the same room. They're just in different places.

Is there not some kind of IR receiver to IR multidirectional blaster device that doesn't even mess with the RF conversion?

Have you tried a mirror? It might not be a permanent solution, but it will help see if you could even get an emitter at the front of the room to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah a mirror crossed my mind as a solution. I just know its going to reflect the projector light and be a visual nuisance...I shouldn't be so picky.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use the Microsmith Hot Link for any component not in line of sight. The main "eye" is ultra sensitive and will pick up my 880 pointed anywhere in the room. It will also pick up the IR pulse from turning on flouresent lamps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts