AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, the name is Lee and I'm new to the forum as the title suggests.

Hopefully this is the right section. Middle of the night, have a buzz and am a little irritated, as I'm sure some of you would be if you were in my situation. Apologies if it isn't...

I recently bought a new-to-me receiver and have an issue. The receiver is a Sony STR-DE985.

Well.... after playing with my multimeter a little bit, I have a completely different issue than I originally came here for. It seems this guy may have sold me a defective receiver.

Hooked the multimeter up to a known working, can-hear-sound-out-of-it-right-now center speaker to check voltage, wasn't getting much of a reading. Check continuity with one wire pulled and one still in the speaker to verify continuity through the receiver. Check, got it, good.

Do the same thing to the Sub Out. Nothing. Verify sub setting is turned to "on" in the receiver, check again. Nothing. Unplug from receiver and check it at the receiver itself, nothing. Plug back in, try with the wires again, nothing.

I'm no idiot, but I just wanted to make sure I have it right before I put this guy on blast.

I haven't ripped the receiver open yet, but is this something I'll be able to fix? I'm not GREAT at soldering, but I can get the job done if that's what's needed.

Original problem I cam here with: Sub wasn't working. It's a passive sub with no amp as far as I can tell (I don't have to plug it into a wall or anything). I guess the old receiver I had powered it. Do I NEED an active sub or do I need to buy an amp for my current sub to put out bass with this receiver?

Any advice, tips, tricks or new curse words I can scream at the guy would be appreciated!

-Lee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EBay purchase. Returns not accepted. Since the seller said it worked perfectly and it doesn't, I suppose I could go through the process, but I've never had to deal with that so I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethisbike  /t/1466666/new-and-need-some-help#post_23162879

EBay purchase. Returns not accepted. Since the seller said it worked perfectly and it doesn't, I suppose I could go through the process, but I've never had to deal with that so I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be.

I had a few of those before. I would recommend to contact the seller first, and see if he/she would take a return since it doesn't work right. If he doesn't then you will have to open a case with ebay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I planned on emailing him tomorrow.

If anyone has done any work on receivers, feel free to chime in. I might be able to give the guy the option of refunding or paying to get it fixed. Would just like some info on things to look for when I open it up and tests I can do to narrow it down.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
You can't use passive sub on most of receivers. They must be self powered. I don't even know how you managed to connect it. The sub output on most receivers are just an RCA output, not speaker wires. The output is also line out, not amplified.

You really can't use multi-meter to check the speaker outputs. In most case, the signal on those outputs are too quick for any multi-meter to catch up. Besides, unless you turn on some kind of sound processing, you may not have anything on center channel most times.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethisbike  /t/1466666/new-and-need-some-help#post_23162790

Hello all, the name is Lee and I'm new to the forum as the title suggests.

Hopefully this is the right section. Middle of the night, have a buzz and am a little irritated, as I'm sure some of you would be if you were in my situation. Apologies if it isn't...

I recently bought a new-to-me receiver and have an issue. The receiver is a Sony STR-DE985.

Instruction manual:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDE985.pdf

Speaker hookup on page 17

Subwoofer output is a RCA jack which is shown routed to an "Active Subwoofer", that means one with a power amplifier of its own.
Quote:
Well.... after playing with my multimeter a little bit, I have a completely different issue than I originally came here for. It seems this guy may have sold me a defective receiver.

Hooked the multimeter up to a known working, can-hear-sound-out-of-it-right-now center speaker to check voltage, wasn't getting much of a reading. Check continuity with one wire pulled and one still in the speaker to verify continuity through the receiver. Check, got it, good.

Do the same thing to the Sub Out. Nothing. Verify sub setting is turned to "on" in the receiver, check again. Nothing. Unplug from receiver and check it at the receiver itself, nothing. Plug back in, try with the wires again, nothing.

I'm no idiot, but I just wanted to make sure I have it right before I put this guy on blast.

I haven't ripped the receiver open yet, but is this something I'll be able to fix? I'm not GREAT at soldering, but I can get the job done if that's what's needed.

Original problem I cam here with: Sub wasn't working. It's a passive sub with no amp as far as I can tell (I don't have to plug it into a wall or anything). I guess the old receiver I had powered it. Do I NEED an active sub or do I need to buy an amp for my current sub to put out bass with this receiver?

Any advice, tips, tricks or new curse words I can scream at the guy would be appreciated!

To reiterate.

Subwoofer output is a RCA jack which is shown routed to an "Active Subwoofer", that means a subwoofer with a power amplifier of its own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right. I've got the manual. How did I hook it up? Easy. I went to Radio Shack and bought some RCA plugs and wired it up. It wasn't hard.

I wasn't able to get any kind of voltage reading with the multimeter. Only continuity. With the receiver off, continuity is broken and you don't get the beep sound from the multimeter, when you turn the receiver on, you get it back and you hear the beep. It seems it's really the only way to verify that a signal is being put out. I had sound coming out of the speaker I was using to compare readings. Even a weak signal coming from the sub out should be enough to verify continuity. At least in my head. I've never tried to do anything like this. I always just went and bought a new one. Money is tight and I already know this guy is going to give me the run around and I don't feel like dealing with ebay's process of making the refund happen. I'm stabbing in the dark here and hoping someone can shed some light on it all...

So I got the answer about the sub. Good deal. Thanks guys.

Soon as I get done eating I'll be opening the receiver up and taking a look. I'll let you guys know what I see, or don't see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts