AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The next-generation  Siri remote 2021 is Available Now.

This thread is for the discussion of the completely redesigned new Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model for Apple TV.
The new Siri remote started shipping May 20th, 2021 to early orders.

New Siri remote 2021 with labels and comments.jpg

Power Button and IR Learning status
Upgrading to the new Apple TV 4K
User Guide and Tips & Tricks for New Siri Remote
Tutorials for new Siri Remote
Useful Links for new Siri Remote
News and Article links for new Siri Remote

What's new?
The new redesigned Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model
is made from aluminum with black buttons with a brand-new touch-enabled clickpad with five-way navigation and circular gesture for jog control (similar to the iPod click wheel) perfect for finding a specific scene in a movie or show. New dedicated Power and Mute buttons, and ‌the Siri‌ button is now on the side, like on an iPhone.
The circular clickpad region doubles as a trackpad so you can do the same swipe gestures you learned (or hated) on the old black trackpad Siri Remote. For users that aren’t interested in swipe gesture control, you can simple press the Up/Down/Right/Left/Select on the clickpad. The previous Menu button has been renamed to Back button (“<“).

Video introducing new Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model at Apple Spring loaded event on April 20th, 2021.
Video should start at right place, if not fast forward to 16:41 to see introduction of new Siri remote, ends around 17:43.
“Of course, the way you interact with Apple TV is with the Siri Remote. So this year, we completely redesigned it with new functionality and controls. It starts with a new one-piece aluminum design that fits perfectly in your hand, and with contrasting controls you can easily find and hit just the button you want. We also have a brand new clickpad, with five-way navigation for better accuracy, and the entire clickpad is touch enabled, preserving the fast directional swipes users love. And we did something pretty cool with the outer ring. We've given it a new circular gesture that turns it into a jog control. Perfect for finding just the scene you're looking for. We've also made it the only remote you need for your TV. It now has a Power button that controls your TV's power, and another for Mute. And we've moved the Siri button to the side, just like on your iPhone. The enclosure is made from 100 percent recycled aluminum joining Apple TV 4K and all of our products in furthering our commitment to reducing our environmental impact.” -Cindy Lin, Director, Program Management for Media Products Engineering at Apple Spring loaded event on April 20th, 2021.

FAQs
May 24th, 2021: tvOS 14.6 still has no options for the new Siri remote Power button to learn IR codes. Hopefully this will be fixed in tvOS 14.7. Report as bug to Apple. Temporary workaround. If you have any updates/corrections please direct message me.

How do I pair a new Siri Remote with my existing Apple TV?
1. Update your Apple TV to the latest tvOS. Make sure it has tvOS 14.6 or higher. Even with auto-update on, it may not automatically have the latest.
2. Position the Siri Remote so it’s within 3 to 4 inches (8 to 10 cm) and pointing at the front of the Apple TV 4K/HD.
3. Press and hold the Back button (“<“) and Volume Up button ("+") buttons for 3 seconds.
4. When the Siri Remote is successfully paired, an onscreen message appears.
When you pair a remote, any other previously paired remote is automatically unpaired. Sometimes, you may be asked to place the remote on top of the Apple TV while pairing, but the process is otherwise automatic. If your Apple TV isn’t detecting the remote, try updating to the latest tvOS, try charging the remote for 10 minutes and try again. If your Siri remote still isn't working.
Note: Sometimes the Siri remote will automatically pair by itself. If you try to pair a Siri remote that is already paired you will get the following confusing on screen message: Pairing Remote Bring it closer to your Apple TV to continue pairing. No matter how close you bring it to Apple TV it will not pair since it is already paired.

Will the new Siri remote work with older Apple TV 4K/HD?
Yes, fortunately the new Siri Remote will be backwards compatible with 2 older models: Apple TV 4K (2017) and even the Apple TV HD (2015). The new Siri remote can be purchased separately, so you do not need to buy a new Apple TV 4K/HD just to get the updated new Siri Remote.
Identify your Apple TV model and remote model
Link to new Siri Remote (Apple USA)

Do I need to pair the new Siri Remote when I order a new Apple TV?
No, the new Siri Remote comes automatically paired with your new Apple TV.

Will the new Siri remote only work with TVs?
No. you will also be able to control [HDMI-CEC] compatible AV Receivers and Soundbars and Projectors.

How do I charge my new Siri remote?
1. Connect one end of a Lightning cable to the Lightning port on the new Siri Remote.
2. Connect the other end of the cable to a computer USB port or to an Apple USB power adapter (sold separately).
The Siri Remote takes about three hours to fully charge. You can continue to use the Siri Remote while it’s charging.

How do I check battery level, firmware version and serial number on my new Siri remote?
1. Press the Back button (“<“) until you return to the Home screen on your Apple TV.
2. Open the Settings app (the app with gears)
3. Go to Remotes and Devices > Remote.
4. You will see the current firmware version, serial number and battery level of your new Siri remote.

How do I update the firmware on my new Siri remote?
Your new Siri remote if needed will be updated automatically when your Apple TV is updated.

Where is the Menu button?
The black trackpad Siri Remote’s Menu button has been renamed to Back button (“<“) on the new Siri remote.

TV Setup (all audio from TV speakers)
How do I get my new Siri remote to control the Volume, Mute and control Power on an existing Apple TV setup for my TV?

If you have a working Apple TV setup and only are upgrading to the new Siri remote, you just need to make sure your Apple TV is running the latest tvOS and pair the new Siri remote with your existing Apple TV 4K/HD. See first FAQ: How do I pair a new Siri Remote with my existing Apple TV?

Home Theater Setup (audio via AV Receiver or Soundbar)

How do I copy settings and Apps and the organization of the Apps from an existing Apple TV 4K to a new Apple TV 4K?

It’s easy to transfer all the content and settings when you upgrade an iPhone, but this is not yet available for the Apple TV, but you can transfer some things.

If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, use it to more easily log in to your Apple ID and Wi-Fi network on a new Apple TV and to sign into Apps.

By having more than one Apple TV associated with the same Apple ID, and turning on One Home Screen on the Apple TVs, you can keep the same appearance and Apps for each Apple TV.

For both Apple TVs:

Settings App on Apple TV > Users and Accounts > Add Default User…

After Default User exists, select Settings > Users and Accounts > Name of Default User > One Home Screen > On

When you start up the new Apple TV it will sync all of your Apps and the organization of the Apps.

Unfortunately, some things do not transfer from your old Apple TV. You still need to manually sign in to Apps that don’t support single sign-on and you need to manually customize your Apple TV settings.

How do I get my new Siri remote to control the Volume of my TV, Mute my TV and Control my TV power on a new Apple TV setup?

Click here if you are not familiar with Apple TV.

This FAQ is only for when Apple TV is connected directly to your TV with an HDMI cable and the TV has HDMI CEC enabled. For TVs without HDMI CEC see different FAQ below.

1. Power on all HDMI-connected devices.
2. Enable HDMI CEC on your TV, this is required see how in FAQ: How do I turn on HDMI CEC?
3. Apple TV will automatically program the new Siri remote.
4. Check that your new Siri remote can control your TV’s Volume, Mute your TV and that the Power button controls Apple TV and your TV's power. When Powering on your TV should automatically switch the TV HDMI input to the one Apple TV is connected to.

When you connect your Apple TV to a compatible TV that has HDMI CEC enabled, Apple TV will automatically detect via HDMI CEC or EDID which TV brand it is and then automatically program the new Siri remote to be able to control the Volume of your TV, Mute your TV and control your TV's power, and set your TV HDMI input to the one Apple TV is connected to. Most modern TVs support Power control via HDMI CEC and will switch HDMI input to the TV HDMI input/port Apple TV is connected to automatically via HDMI CEC. Very few TVs support volume control or mute via HDMI CEC and the new Siri remote will control most TV's volume and mute via IR.

When using your new Siri Remote to control your TV, keep the path between your new Siri remote and the front of your television clear. TV control via IR works by sending IR signals from your new Siri remote to the IR sensor on the front of your TV and requires clear line-of-sight.

If it doesn’t work try the following:
Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers and make sure it is turned On.
Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control choose Auto (if it does not work try: TV via IR).
If it still does not work unplug the TV and Apple TV for a few minutes and then reboot everything. During an update process, don't unplug your Apple TV (same goes for your TV, if it is getting updated). Sometimes CEC crashes on devices and the devices need to be power cycled.
If you still have problems, they are often fixed by using a newer and better HDMI cable, try the HDMI cable recommended by Apple.
If your TV does not have HDMI CEC or HDMI CEC does not work see other FAQ.

How do I turn on HDMI CEC?
Many TVs have HDMI CEC turned off by default, you will need to enable it in a TV menu setting. Check your TV's menu, options, or settings. You may also want to look at your TV's instruction manual or just try performing a web search for the model of your TV and “Enable HDMI CEC”. Manufacturers often have different names for HDMI CEC, see list below by TV vendor for other names for HDMI CEC.
The naming stems from the early days of HDMI-CEC, when vendors didn’t have to make their versions interoperable with other companies’ hardware. These days, the vast majority of HDMI-CEC-enabled devices work with one another.
Emerson: Fun-Link
Funai: Fun-Link
Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
Insignia: InLink
Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
LG: SimpLink
Loewe: Digital Link, Digital Link Plus
Magnavox: Fun-Link
Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI, Realink for HDMI
Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
Philips: EasyLink, Fun-Link
Pioneer: Kuro Link
Roku: 1-Touch Play
Samsung: Anynet, Anynet+
Sharp: Aquos Link
Sony: BRAVIA Sync, Bravia Link, Control for HDMI
Sylvania: Fun-Link
Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
Vizio: CEC

My TV does not have HDMI CEC, how can I use the new Siri remote to control the Volume of my TV, mute my TV and control my TV's Power?

This FAQ is only for when Apple TV is connected directly to your TV with an HDMI cable and your TV does not have HDMI CEC.

If your TV does not have HDMI CEC you will get Volume + - and Mute and sometimes Power control via IR from the new Siri remote. There have been some reports of the Power button not sending the correct IR codes for certain TVs and Projectors. If your Power button is not working correctly please
report it to Apple TV team so they fix it.

If Apple TV can not find out what brand and model of TV you have, you will not get Power Control, however for Volume + - and Mute there is a fallback option to have Apple TV manually learn IR codes from your TV remote for Volume + - and Mute.
1. Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control.
2. Select Learn New Device…
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control Volume + - and mute for your TV. The Siri remote will learn the IR codes from your TV remote.
When using your new Siri Remote to control your TV, keep the path between your new Siri remote and the front of your television clear. TV control via IR works by sending IR signals from your new Siri remote to the IR sensor on the front of your TV and requires clear line-of-sight.

How does the new Power button work?

Press the Power button to wake up your Apple TV and automatically turn on your TV [and automatically switch to the correct HDMI input.] This is assuming your TV is HDMI CEC enabled.

Press and hold the Power button this will put your Apple TV to sleep and automatically turn off your TV.

My Power button is not working for my TV.

For TVs or Projectors with HDMI CEC enabled.
Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers and make sure it is turned On.

Check Apple TV HDMI CEC trouble shooting for further help.

If your TV or Projector does not have HDMI CEC you will for TVs get Volume + - and Mute and for both TVs and Projectors you should get Power control via IR from the new Siri remote. There have been some reports of the Power button not sending the correct IR codes for certain TVs and Projectors. If your Power button is not working correctly please report it to Apple TV team so they fix it.

Power Button and IR status & Temporary Workaround.

My Power button is not working for my TV/Projector and/or AV Receiver/Soundbar

For TVs/Projectors and/or AV Receivers/Soundbars with HDMI CEC enabled.
Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers and make sure it is turned On
Check Apple TV HDMI CEC trouble shooting for further help.

If it is still not working it is probably because your TV/Projector and/or AV Receiver/Soundbar are not HDMI CEC enabled/capable (or your equipment's HDMI CEC is not compatible with Apple TV).
For TVs/Projectors or AV Receivers/Soundbars without HDMI CEC.

My Volume Control & Mute is not working on my new Siri Remote.

If Volume + - and Mute doesn’t work automatically, you need to manually program your Siri Remote.
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control volume for your TV. Make sure you use the TV remote (not Siri remote) for the onscreen Learning.

My Volume Control & Mute is not working on my new Siri Remote.

If volume control doesn’t work automatically, you need to manually program your Siri Remote.
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control volume for your TV or AV Receiver/Soundbar. Make sure you use the TV remote or AV Receiver/Soundbar remote (not Siri remote) for the onscreen Learning.
Your Siri Remote can control volume for either your TV or your AV Receiver/Soundbar, but can't control both simultaneously.

How do I get my new Siri remote to control the Volume, Mute and control Power on my existing Apple TV - Home Theater setup?

If you have a working Apple TV Home Theater setup and only are upgrading to the new Siri remote, you just need to make sure your Apple TV is running the latest tvOS and pair the new Siri remote with your existing Apple TV 4K/HD. See first FAQ: How do I pair a new Siri Remote with my existing Apple TV?

How can I use the new Siri remote to control my Home Theater on a new Apple TV setup?

This FAQ is for Video via Projector or TV with HDMI CEC enabled and Audio via AV Receiver with speakers or via Soundbar with HDMI CEC enabled.

Your new Siri Remote can mute and control volume for either your TV/Projector (if it has audio) or your AV Receiver or Soundbar, but can't control both simultaneously.

1. Check your Projector or TV manual or do an internet search and make sure HDMI-CEC is turned On.
2. Check your AV Receiver or Soundbar manual or do an internet search and make sure HDMI-CEC is turned On.
3. Switch the TV/Projector to the correct HDMI input/port.
4. Select the correct HDMI input on the AV Receiver or Soundbar.
5. Check that your new Siri remote can mute and control your AV Receiver/Soundbar's Volume and that the Power button controls Apple TV and your TV/Projector's power and AV Receiver/Soundbar's power. When Powering on your TV should automatically switch the HDMI input to the one Apple TV is connected to.

Apple TV should detect via HDMI CEC which Projector/TV and AV Receiver/Soundbar brands and models you have and automatically program the new Siri remote to be able to mute, control the Volume and control Power and change the HDMI input.

When it works, HDMI CEC can be an excellent way to streamline your home theater system.

If it doesn’t work try the following:
Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control choose Auto (if it does not work try: Receiver via IR).
If it still does not work unplug all your devices for a few minutes and then reboot everything. During an update process, don't unplug your Apple TV (same goes for your other devices, if they are getting updated). Sometimes CEC crashes and devices needs to be power cycled.
If you still have problems, they are often fixed by using a newer and better HDMI cable, try the HDMI cable recommended by Apple. If your AV Receiver or Soundbar does not have HDMI CEC or HDMI CEC does not work see next FAQ.

What do I do if my AV Receiver or Soundbar does not have HDMI CEC?

If your AV Receiver or Soundbar does not have HDMI CEC or your AV Receiver or Soundbar’s HDMI CEC is not compatible with Apple TV or you are using an optical cable instead of an HDMI Cable you will get Volume control and Mute. See link above for Power button and IR.
Your new Siri Remote can mute and control volume for either your AV Receiver/Soundbar or TV/Projector (if the projector has audio), but can't control both simultaneously.

Although the HDMI CEC standard has existed since the introduction of HDMI, CEC support isn't mandatory on HDMI devices. So, it may be that your device doesn't allow for HDMI CEC control at all (especially on older devices). Your new Siri remote can use IR in this case.

3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control volume for your AV Receiver or Soundbar. The Siri remote will learn all necessary IR codes from your AV Receiver or Soundbar remote. Your new Siri remote should now be able control your AV Receiver or Soundbar via IR.
When using your new Siri Remote to control your AV Receiver or Soundbar, keep the path between your new Siri remote and the front of your device clear. AV Receiver or Soundbar control via IR works by sending IR signals from your new Siri remote to the IR sensor on the front of your AV Receiver or Soundbar and requires clear line-of-sight.

What do I do if my Projector or TV does not have HDMI CEC?

Unfortunately, HDMI CEC support isn't mandatory on HDMI devices. So, it may be that your device doesn't allow for HDMI CEC control at all (especially on older devices). For example, the Sony Projector VPL-HW45ES (2016) does not have HDMI CEC, you can however control it with IR.
At this time the new Siri remote cannot control Power for both AV Receiver/Soundbar and Projector/TV via IR when they do not have HDMI CEC (or your AV Receiver and/or Soundbar’s HDMI CEC is not compatible with Apple TV.)

Please report it to Apple (link below), so they will fix it. I reported it and requested the Power button to be able to Learn IR for at least 2 devices (TV/Projector and Soundbar/AVR).
Bugs / Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

How does the new Power button work?

Press the Power button, this will wake up your Apple TV and automatically turn on your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar and automatically switch to the Apple TV HDMI input. This is assuming your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar are all HDMI CEC enabled.

Press and hold the Power button, this will put your Apple TV to sleep and automatically turn off your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar.

How does the new Mute Button work?
Press the Mute button and all audio from your TV or AV Receiver/Soundbar should be turned off. Press the Mute button again to turn audio back on.

How do I restart Apple TV 4K/HD?
Do any of the following:
-Point the Siri Remote directly at the front of the Apple TV 4K/HD, then press and hold both the Back (“<“) and TV/Home buttons on the Siri Remote for about 10 seconds until the Apple TV status light blinks rapidly, then let go of both buttons and Apple TV 4K/HD will restart.
-Open the Settings app (the app with gears), go to System > Restart.

Can I use Find My app to locate the new Siri Remote?
No, unless apple has a secret surprise for us, it's reported that it doesn’t have a U1 chip, which uses ultra-wideband radio to locate lost items with the Find My app.

How do I use my iPhone or iPad to control my Apple TV?
It’s very easy to control your Apple TV on your iPhone or iPad. Add “Apple TV Remote” in the Control Center of your iPhone/iPad. iOS now has built in remote support so you no longer have to download an App to control your Apple TV from your iPhone or iPad. Make sure you have the latest iOS and tvOS versions installed.

Why can I not control volume on my TV when using the Apple TV Remote app on an iPhone?
iPhone Volume control through the Apple TV Remote app, using the side buttons will not work on most TVs. Generally TVs don't consider themselves audio systems, so they don't pay attention to incoming HDMI CEC Volume + - and Mute commands even if the TV has HDMI-CEC enabled. Therefore, most TVs need IR for Volume + - and Mute. So, the new Siri Remote uses IR to send the Volume + - and Mute control signals directly to a TV (not to the Apple TV 4K/HD).
An iPhone is not able to send IR signals. The Apple TV remote app on an iPhone can only control volume if the device supports Volume control via HDMI-CEC, like many modern AV Receivers and Soundbars do. The Apple TV 4K/HD receives the signal through the home WIFI network from the iPhone and then relays it through HDMI CEC to an AV Receiver or Soundbar.

Can I use the new Siri Remote to play games?
Depends, the new Siri Remote doesn’t have motion control sensors, which are needed for some games. To be specific, it lacks an accelerometer and a gyroscope. However you can connect a wireless game controller, including PlayStation and Xbox Wireless controllers.

What does “via HDMI” mean?
This means Apple TV will use HDMI CEC to communicate with your TV and/or AV Receiver/Soundbar.
In the Settings App > Remotes and Devices you will see Volume Control
There is some text following Volume Control, it will look something like this:
Volume Control Auto via HDMI (Receiver)
Apple uses the term Receiver for AV Receivers and Soundbars.
Most modern AV Receivers/Soundbars support volume control via HDMI CEC.

What does “via IR” mean?
This means the new Siri remote will use IR to communicate with your TV or AV Receivers/Soundbar.
In the Settings App > Remotes and Devices you will see Volume Control
There is some text following Volume Control, it will look something like this.
Volume Control Auto via IR (TV)
Volume Control via IR (TV)
Most TVs have volume control via IR (few TVs support HDMI CEC volume control).

What is HDMI CEC?
-The goal of HDMI CEC is to avoid juggling remotes and use one remote to control multiple devices connected via HDMI cables. HDMI-CEC allows devices connected to your Apple TV via HDMI cables to communicate back and forth with Apple TV. An HDMI cable must be used for CEC function to work.
-The new Siri remote controls Apple TV and thereby all devices connected via HDMI cables (that have HDMI CEC).
-For example, with CEC enabled you can use your new Siri remote to control Power on a connected TV/Projector and audio device such as an AV Receiver or Soundbar.
-For example, with CEC enabled you can use your new Siri remote to adjust the volume of a connected AV Receiver or Soundbar.
Additionally, HDMI CEC also works in combination with HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC. CEC does not allow control of all aspects of every device. For some functions, you may still need to use the original remote for a device.

What is IR?
When it comes to televisions and home theater devices, the dominant technology for remote control tends to be infrared (IR). An IR remote uses invisible infrared light to carry signals from the remote to the device it controls. It emits pulses of invisible infrared light that correspond to specific binary codes. These codes represent commands, such as power on, volume up, or mute. Since light is used to transmit the signal, IR remotes require line-of-sight, which means you need an open path between the new Siri remote and the TV. IR signals won't work through walls or around corners and they also have a limited range.

What is meant by Receiver?
Apple uses the term “Receiver” in Apple TV settings for AV Receivers/AVRs and Soundbars.

What is meant by AV Receiver and AVR?
Stands for "Audio/Video Receiver" An AVR, often called an AV Receiver or Receiver, is the central routing and processing component in a home theater. ... In a modern home theater, the TV may serve as a monitor since the audio is processed by the AVR amplified and sent to speakers and video input is handled by Apple TV, a cable box or another device. In Europe they have started to use the term AVC which stands for "Audio/Video Center” since they no longer include a radio receiver.

Why does the Siri Remote use both Bluetooth and IR?
The Siri remote uses Bluetooth 5.0 to communicate with the Apple TV 4K/HD, Apple uses Bluetooth because it needs enough throughput to send data to Siri from the microphone to the Apple TV.
The Siri remote uses IR to control devices when they do not support HDMI CEC or when specific HDMI CEC commands are not supported by the device, for example volume control for many TVs are not supported via HDMI CEC even if the TV has HDMI CEC. IR has very broad support among TVs and AV Receivers & Soundbars.

What is the difference between Apple TV and tv and Apple TV+?
Short answer: Apple TV is the box/hardware, tv is an app and Apple TV+ is a streaming service from Apple.
-Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, Apple TV (1st-6th generation) and ATV is the Apple TV box/hardware.
-Apple TV or tv or Apple TV app is a cross platform app that runs on multiple Apple iOS/iPadOS/macOS devices and various third-party TVs (LG, Roku TVs, Samsung, Sony, VIZIO etc.) and streaming devices (Amazon Fire TV, Google TV, Roku etc.) The tv apps for third party devices have similar but not identical capabilities and the tv app on Apple TV 4K/HD has the most complete feature set.
-Apple TV+ or tv+ is a streaming service from Apple with Apple Original shows and movies.
-Apple TV Channels or tv channels is a feature that allows for subscription to 3rd party channels, like AMC+, Epix, Paramount+, Showtime, and Starz from within the tv app.

New Siri remote 2021 with labels and comments bottom cut.jpg

Siri remote with labels from manual.jpg

There are 7 buttons + Clickpad on the new Siri Remote; from top to bottom, left to right, they are:

Power button
Press the Power button, this will wake up your Apple TV and automatically turn on your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar and automatically switch to the correct HDMI input. This is assuming your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar are all HDMI CEC compatible and enabled.

Press and hold the Power button, this will put your Apple TV to sleep and automatically turn off your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar. This is assuming your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar are all HDMI CEC compatible and enabled.

Clickpad See Tutorial
To move around on Apple TV.

Press up, down, left, or right on the clickpad ring; or swipe up, down, left, or right on the clickpad.

To scroll through lists of options.
Press and hold up or down on the clickpad ring; or swipe up or down
on the clickpad a few times to scroll quickly.

Select an item or open an App.
Press the clickpad center.

Skip forward or backward 10 seconds.
During playback, press right or left on the clickpad ring. Press again to skip another 10 seconds.

Fast-forward or Rewind.
During playback, press and hold left or right on the clickpad ring. Press left or right repeatedly to cycle through fast-forward or rewind speed options (2x, 3x, 4x). Press the clickpad center or the Play/Pause button to resume playback.

Find a specific scene in a movie or show. Tutorial
Pause the video by pressing the Play/Pause button (or by pressing the clickpad center). A small preview thumbnail appears above the playback timeline at the bottom of the screen. Rest your finger on the clickpad ring until a ring icon appears on the playback timeline, then circle your finger clockwise or counterclockwise around the clickpad ring. Or swipe right or left on the clickpad to move forward or backward on the playback timeline. To cancel and return to the original position, press the Back button. The circular gesture is currently not supported in all video Apps, until they fix it you will need to use the swipe gesture instead in these Apps.

Back “<“ button
The Back “<“ button lets you navigate your Apple TV 4K/HD. Press it once to go back one step. You can use it to return to the Home Screen when inside an app, for example. The Back button is concave (inward curved surface).
The Menu button on the black Siri remote has been renamed to Back (“<“) on the new Siri remote.

TV/Home button
Pressing the TV/Home button once on your Siri Remote takes you to Up Next in the Apple TV App, and pressing the TV/home button again takes you to the Home screen.
You can change this setting so that pressing the TV/Home button once takes you directly to the Home screen.
Open Settings App on Apple TV.
Go to Remotes and Devices, select TV Button, then select Home Screen.

Play/Pause button
To play or pause movies, shows and songs.
Other uses: Just like on an iPhone or iPad you can delete apps on the Apple TV. Simply select an app, then long-press on the clickpad, until the app starts to shake then press the Play/Pause Button, options will appear allowing you to delete the app. During text input you can switch between uppercase and lowercase and symbols by pressing the Play/Pause Button.

Volume up/down button
To turn the volume up or down, press + or -

Mute button

Use this to mute or unmute the audio.

Siri button on the side, like on an iPhone.
When you press and hold down this button, Siri will listen to what you say, and try to figure out what it means, and respond. Hold down the Siri button until you finish speaking.

New Siri remote 2021 with labels and comments bottom cut.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
User Guide and Tips & Tricks for New Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model
Tested with tvOS 14.6

To move around on Apple TV.
Press up, down, left or right on the clickpad ring; or swipe up, down, left or right on the clickpad.

To scroll through lists of options.

Select an item or open an App.

Play or Pause
Press the clickpad center, or press the Play/Pause button

During playback, press right or left on the clickpad ring. Press again to skip another 10 seconds.
You can also press and hold the Siri button and ask: “What did he just say?”, “What did she just say?”, “What did they just say”. In this case, Apple TV skips back 15 seconds and temporarily turns on subtitles. This gives you a second chance to hear and read, the part you missed.

Fast-forward or Rewind.
During playback, press and hold left or right on the clickpad ring. Press left or right repeatedly to cycle through fast-forward or rewind speed options (2x, 3x, 4x). Press the clickpad center or the Play/Pause button to resume playback.
You can also press and hold the Siri button and say: “Jump back 10 minutes”, “Skip forward 90 seconds”, “Play from the beginning”

Find a specific scene in a movie or show. See Tutorial
Pause the video by pressing the Play/Pause button (or by pressing the clickpad center). Rest your finger on the clickpad ring until a circle appears on the playback timeline, then
use a circular clockwise or counterclockwise gesture with your finger on the clickpad ring to fast-forward or rewind. Or swipe right or left on the clickpad to move forward or backward on the playback timeline. To cancel and return to the original position, press the Back button. The circular gesture is currently not supported in all video Apps, until they fix it you will need to use the swipe gesture instead in these Apps.

Show or Hide playback timeline/progress bar/scrubber.
To show the playback timeline, when a movie or show is playing, tap once lightly on the clickpad.
To hide the playback timeline, when a movie or show is playing, tap once lightly, then wait 1 second and tap lightly one more time on the clickpad.
If you pause a movie or show, the playback timeline will automatically show, to hide the playback timeline tap once lightly on the clickpad.

Show the current time of day and the exact time when the movie or TV show you‘re watching will be over.
Tap once (don’t click) in the center of the clickpad to get the elapsed and remaining time on the playback timeline. And tap again for current time of day along with the estimated time of completion for the movie or TV show you‘re watching.

Turn subtitles on or off.
Sometimes you might want to turn subtitles on or off for a movie or show that is already playing. Press down on the clickpad ring (or swipe down on the clickpad) during playback of a movie or show, to drop down the Info pane. Press right on the clickpad to go to the Subtitles pane, here you can turn subtitles on or off. (Not all movies / shows have subtitles). To get rid of the Info pane press up on the clickpad ring (or swipe up on the clickpad).
You can also press and hold the Siri button and say: “Turn on subtitles ”, “Turn off subtitles”
Most video apps support this.

Change subtitle language and/or audio language.
Sometimes you might want to change Subtitle language or Audio language for a movie or show that is already playing. Swipe down on the clickpad during playback of a movie or show to drop down the Info pane. Go to the Subtitles or Audio pane to change subtitle language and/or audio language. (Assuming the video has multiple audio and subtitle languages). To get rid of the Info pane swipe up on the clickpad.
You can also press and hold the Siri button and say: “Turn on Spanish subtitles”, “Turn on French subtitles”, "Change Audio to Spanish"
Most video apps support this.

Get Season and Episode for currently playing show.
Swipe down in the clickpad during playback of a movie or show to drop down the Info pane. In the Info pane you will see Season and Episode for that currently playing show. (Assuming the show supports Season and Episode info). To get rid of the Info pane swipe up on the clickpad.

Quickly switch between open Apps.
Just like on an iPhone or iPad you can quickly switch between open apps on the Apple TV by calling up the app switcher screen. Click the TV/Home button (the one with the TV icon on it) twice and all open apps will appear. Now, you can swipe right and left between the apps using the clickpad and choose one. Or you can click left or right on the clickpad ring.

Close an App
Just like on an iPhone or iPad you can close open apps on the Apple TV by calling up the app switcher screen. Double click the TV/Home button (the one with the TV icon on it) and all open apps will appear. Now, you can swipe right and left between the apps using the clickpad to select the app you want to close. To close the app swipe up on the clickpad. Or you can click left or right on the clickpad ring to select the App you want to close, then double click up on the clickpad ring to close it.

Rearrange Apps
Just like on an iPhone or iPad you can rearrange apps on the Apple TV. By default, each new app you add will appear at the bottom of the other apps, but you can move any app to where you want. Simply select an app, then long-press on the clickpad, until the app starts to shake. Then you can move the app around using the clickpad.
If you move an app on top of another app, a folder is created.

Delete Apps
Just like on an iPhone or iPad you can delete apps on the Apple TV. Simply select an app, then long-press on the clickpad, until the app starts to shake then press the Play/Pause Button, options will appear allowing you to delete the app.

Find out where the current Screensaver was filmed
Tap lightly on the clickpad to see the screensaver description showing where it was filmed. To remove the description, tap lightly again on the clickpad. On some screen savers, the location information changes with the viewing area so that specific landmarks are highlighted.

Change Screensaver
When the screensaver is activated, swipe right on the clickpad to go forward. Swipe left on the clickpad to go back. The description will go away automatically after a few seconds. If you don’t want to wait, you can remove the description by a light tap on the clickpad.

Activate the Screensaver
Press Back (“<“) until you get to the very top of the Apple TV Home screen, press Back (“<“) again to start the screensaver. Or go to Settings -> General -> Screen Saver -> Preview.
By default, a screensaver will start after a given amount of time, you can change the time frame in the Settings app. Go to Settings -> General -> Screen Saver -> Starts After

Put Your Apple TV to Sleep
Press and hold the Power button. The Apple TV will also go to sleep after a predetermined amount of time set in the Settings app.

Change the audio output
On the home screen, hold the TV/Home button (the one with the TV icon on it) for about 3 seconds. A menu will appear, where you can select the AirPlay Icon.

Text input: Lowercase and Uppercase and Symbols.
You can switch between uppercase and lowercase and symbols by pressing the Play/Pause Button.

Text input: Quick Backspace
If you write something on your Apple (like a search term) and make an error, you don’t have to swipe all the way to the backspace button. There’s a shortcut: Long-press on the clickpad until the alternate character menu appears. There you can swipe left on the clickpad to erase a character.

Use your iPhone or iPad as a remote for Apple TV.
It’s very easy to control your Apple TV on your iPhone or iPad. Add “Apple TV Remote” in the Control Center of your iPhone/iPad. You no longer have to download an App to control your Apple TV from your iPhone or iPad. Make sure you have the latest iOS and tvOS versions installed.
Note: iPhone volume control through the Apple TV Remote app, using the side buttons will not work on some TVs. If a device does not support volume control via HDMI CEC, then the new Siri remote will use IR. An iPhone is not able to send IR signals. An iPhone can only control volume if the device supports volume control over HDMI-CEC, like many AV Receivers and Soundbars do. The Apple TV 4K/HD receives the signal through the home network from the iPhone and then relays it through HDMI CEC to the device.
Apple TV remote icon in control center iOS 14.5.jpg

Use your Apple Watch as a remote for Apple TV.
Control Apple TV with Apple Watch

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tutorials for new Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model
More will be added...

Power button and IR learning status
June 7th, 2021 tvOS 15 beta 1: No IR learning for Power button reported.
June 4th, 2021 tvOS 14.7 beta: No IR learning for Power button reported.
May 24th, 2021 tvOS 14.6: currently has no options for the new Siri remote Power button to learn IR codes.
Hopefully this will be fixed soon in a future tvOS. Will keep updating status.
See temporary workaround below.

If you need the Power button to be able to Learn IR commands.
Please
report it to Apple (link below), so they will fix it. I reported it as a bug and requested the Power button to be able to Learn IR for at least 2 devices (TV/Projector and Soundbar/AVR). Additionally support for Learning IR for Discrete Power On/Off and Toggle Power On/Off and Discrete switch to desired HDMI input. Shouldn't be that hard for Apple they are already doing the IR Learning for Volume + - and Mute.
Bugs / Feedback - Apple TV Team

Apple promised Power IR control
Learning IR for the Power button is still missing as of tvOS14.6.
On the Apple TV 4K Tech Specs it states “Control your TV or receiver via IR or CEC”. With footnote (3): "Powering on and off, switching input to Apple TV, controlling volume, and mute.

Use the Siri remote Mute Button for IR Power control. For a device without HDMI CEC (or broken HDMI CEC).
Use the Mute button on the new Siri remote for IR Power control of a TV or Projector or AV Receiver or Soundbar. (You can control power via IR for one device.) For example to turn your TV On and Off, just press the Mute button. You can mute the audio by using the Play/Pause button to pause or turn the Volume all the way down.
Temporary workaround. You temporarily trade Mute function for Power function.

Note: If you are setting up the Mute button to Power On/Off your TV you need to block the IR sensor on your TV during Learning to prevent your TV from turning Off during Learning.
The IR Learning screen in Apple TV Settings is not very clear. During Learning you need to Press Power On/Off on your TV remote or AV Receiver/or Soundbar remote (not on your Siri remote).

Program the Power Button to control your TV without HDMI-CEC using IR.
May 24th, 2021: tvOS 14.6 still has no options for Power button to learn IR codes. Hopefully this will be fixed in tvOS14.7

May 25th, 2021: Fixes Apple TV CEC Sleep Issue for some Sony TV owners.

Program the Power Button to control your AV Receiver/ Soundbar without HDMI-CEC using IR.
May 24th, 2021: tvOS 14.6 still has no options for Power button to learn IR codes. Hopefully this will be fixed in tvOS14.7

Is it possible to Program the Power Button to use IR on both a TV/Projector and an AV receiver/Soundbar?
Waiting for Apple to implement this.

Everything you can do with the new Clickpad.
To move around on Apple TV

Press up, down, left or right on the clickpad ring; or swipe up, down, left or right on the clickpad.

To scroll through lists of options

Select an item or open an App

Skip forward or backward 10 seconds

Fast-forward or Rewind
During playback, press and hold right or left on the clickpad ring. Press right or left repeatedly to cycle through fast-forward or rewind speed options (2x, 3x, 4x). Press the clickpad center or the Play/Pause button to resume playback.
1621795282811.png

Find a specific scene in a movie or show (new circular gesture)
Pause the video by pressing the Play/Pause button (or by pressing the clickpad center). A small preview thumbnail appears above the playback timeline at the bottom of the screen. Rest your thumb on the clickpad ring until you see a circle on the playback timeline, then circle your thumb clockwise or counterclockwise around the clickpad ring. Or swipe right or left on the clickpad to move forward or backward on the playback timeline. To cancel and return to the original position, press the Back button. The circular gesture is currently not supported in all video Apps, until they fix it you will need to use the swipe gesture instead in these Apps.
1621795282811.png
1621801074544.png

1) Pause video, 2) Rest thumb on the clickpad ring until you see a circle on the playback timeline. 3) Use a circular gesture on clickpad ring.

Change touch surface sensitivity
Open the Settings app (the app with gears), go to Remotes and Devices > Touch Surface Tracking.
Select Slow to reduce tracking sensitivity.
Select Fast to make smaller thumb movements move farther on the Apple TV screen.

Remove touch, use click only
Open the Settings app (the app with gears), go to Remotes and Devices > Clickpad.
Select Click Only to turn off swiping on Clickpad surface.
Select Click and Touch to allow both clicking and swiping on Clickpad.

Clickpad Demo

Source: Clickpad demo from Apple

xxx

Volume + - and/or Mute not working on new Siri remote
IR Learning Trouble Shooting

Intro
:
The Siri remote controls the Apple TV and your TV in two parallel ways. It maintains a Bluetooth connection to the Apple TV, and it generally controls your TV’s Volume + - and Mute via IR. In some rare reported cases with a non HDMI CEC TV it will use IR to Power your TV On and Off. (Apple TV programmed your Siri remote with these IR codes when you first set it up).

For the following the Siri remote will use not use IR and instead use Bluetooth to communicate with Apple TV:
-Pressing the clickpad or the TV/Home button or the Back button. Using Siri.
-Pressing Volume + - or Mute for control of an AV receiver or Soundbar via HDMI CEC.
-Pressing Power button for On or Off when controlling one or more HDMI CEC enabled devices.

So Volume + - and Mute and Power On Off can be via HDMI CEC or IR, when possible, HDMI CEC is used and the fallback is IR when HDMI CEC will not work. A little known fact, generally TVs need IR for Volume + - and Mute, even if they have HDMI CEC. TVs generally don't see themselves as an audio device so they ignore incoming CEC commands for Volume Up Down and Mute.

Update your Apple TV to the latest tvOS. Even with auto-update on, it may not automatically have the latest. Make sure your Siri remote is charged.

If you have a projector with audio, follow same steps as for a TV.

TV - audio from built in TV speakers.
Generally TVs need IR for Volume Up, Down and Mute even if the TV has HDMI CEC enabled. The new Siri remote sends IR to your TV for Volume Up, Down and Mute. When you first set it up, Apple TV will program the Siri remote automatically with IR codes for your TV by using HDMI CEC/EDID to figure out what TV brand and model you have. Sometimes Apple TV cannot do it automatically and you need to have Apple TV learn IR codes from your TV remote. See below.

TV - audio from AV Receiver or Soundbar.
Generally modern AV Receivers and Soundbars connected to your TV via an HDMI cable accept HDMI CEC for Volume Up, Down and Mute. (Apple TV is connected to TV or AV Receiver or Soundbar). Apple TV will then use HDMI CEC for Volume Up, Down and Mute for the AV Receiver or Soundbar.
When Apple TV cannot use HDMI CEC for Volume Up, Down and Mute it can use IR instead and you can have Apple TV learn IR codes from your AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote. See below.

Your Siri Remote can be set up to control volume for either your TV or your AV Receiver/Soundbar, it can't control both simultaneously.

Try this first
In Apple TV Settings App> Remotes and Devices > Volume Control, choose via IR or via IR (TV) instead of Auto. If via IR and Auto both do not work you need to have Apple TV learn the IR from your remote. See below.

If you have problems with Apple TV & new Siri remote learning IR from your TV remote (or AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote).

Replace the Batteries

Weak batteries generate poor quality IR signals with fluctuating code structuring and frequency. The original remote may still work with your device, but these unreliable IR signals from weak batteries can cause issues when being learned. The signal strength may be too weak or erratic to be properly picked up by Apple TV during learning. Install brand new batteries in your TV remote (or AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote).

Make sure you are using the correct remote, try it on your TV or AV Receiver or Soundbar and make sure the remote is able to turn Volume Up, Down and Mute your TV or AV Receiver or Soundbar.

TV remote (or AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote) is not working: Try changing batteries, use brand new batteries on the remote.
Things to try if the remote is still not working.

TV remote (AV Receiver or Soundbar remote) is working:
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control volume for your TV. Make sure you use the TV remote (AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote) (not Siri remote) for the onscreen Learning.

Make sure under Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control, the device you just learned is selected.
To optimize success, the learning process should be conducted in an area where there is a low level of IR emission. Make sure the lighting in the room is not too bright. High levels of “natural light” or fluorescent lights could interfere with a learning event.

I went through the Apple TV Learn remote screens for Volume Up and Down and Mute, but my new Siri remote is not able to turn Volume Up Down and Mute on my TV (or AV Receiver or Soundbar).
Make sure under Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control, the device you just learned is selected.
If you still have problems, try charging your new Siri remote for 30 min.
If your Siri remote is still not working, check if your new Siri remote is sending an IR (infrared) signal when you press Volume + - or Mute.

If your Siri remote is not sending an IR signal try re-learning:
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control Volume and Mute for your TV (or AV Receiver or Soundbar). Make sure you use the TV remote (or AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote) (not Siri remote) for the onscreen Learning.
To optimize success, the learning process should be conducted in an area where there is a low level of IR emission. Make sure the lighting in the room is not too bright. High levels of “natural light” or fluorescent lights could interfere with a learning event.

If your Siri remote is still not working, contact Apple support.

Report a bug to Apple TV team.

HDMI CEC Trouble shooting.

Update your Apple TV to the latest tvOS. Even with auto-update on, it may not automatically have the latest. Make sure your Siri remote is charged.

HDMI CEC allows the new Siri remote to control multiple HDMI CEC compatible devices such as an Apple TV and a TV/Projector (and an AV Receiver/Soundbar if you have one). What is HDMI CEC?

When it works, HDMI CEC can be an excellent way to streamline your home theater system.

First try to connect your Apple TV directly to your TV with nothing in between and see if it fixes your problem.
A switch, extender, a splitter or audio extractor may not pass HDMI CEC correctly or at all.

Volume is not working.
For audio from a TV:
Go to Apple TV Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control, choose TV via IR. Generally, TVs need IR for Volume + - and Mute, even if the TV has HDMI CEC.

For audio from an AV Receiver or Soundbar without HDMI CEC:
Go to Apple TV Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control choose Receiver via IR. If this option is not available or it still does not work see the IR Trouble shooting section.

For audio from an AV Receiver or Soundbar with HDMI CEC:
Go to Apple TV Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers and make sure it is turned On.
Go to Apple TV Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control choose Auto, when you press Back button it should show “Auto via HDMI (Receiver)”
If you can’t select “On”. For Control TVs and Receivers, it is generally because Apple TV cannot detect any HDMI CEC devices. Follow the next steps below:

HDMI CEC not working.
1. Check your TV/Projector menus or manual or do an internet search for the make and model of your TV and “Enable HDMI-CEC” and make sure HDMI-CEC is turned On.
2. On some TVs/Projectors it is a multistep process to fully enable CEC and you need to also select a menu to search for CEC devices or Enable Device Discovery, each manufacturer uses their own wording.
3.If you have an AV Receiver (AVR) or Soundbar check the menus or manual or do an internet search for the make and model of your AV Receiver or Soundbar and “Enable HDMI-CEC” and make sure HDMI-CEC is turned On and then you may or may not need to discover other devices.
4. On Apple TV, go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers and make sure it is turned On.
If you can’t select “On”. For Control TVs and Receivers, it is generally because Apple TV cannot detect any HDMI CEC devices. Follow the next steps below:

If you are still having HDMI CEC problems:
Your devices might stop talking to one another if they have an HDMI CEC and/or an HDCP lockup.
Try unplugging all your HDMI devices, including Apple TV for 10 min, then plug in and turn on the devices in this order.
1. TV/Projector
2. AV Receiver/Soundbar if you have one
3. Apple TV
4. Any other HDMI devices
This will in many cases re-initialize HDMI CEC and/or solve an HDCP lockup. Of course, if the manufactures made their products properly, the above work would not be necessary.

If you still have problems, they are sometimes fixed by using newer and better HDMI cable(s), try the HDMI cable recommended by Apple.

As a last resort, this has worked in some cases:
Turn Off HDMI CEC on your TV/Projector (and AV Receiver/Soundbar if you have one) and any other HDMI devices.
Unplug all your HDMI devices including Apple TV for 10 min. Disconnect all HDMI cables. Then reconnect all HDMI cables. Then plug in and turn on the devices in this order:
1. TV/Projector
2. AV Receiver/Soundbar if you have one
3. Apple TV
4. Any other HDMI devices
Turn On HDMI CEC on your TV/Projector (and AV Receiver/Soundbar if you have one) and any other HDMI devices. On some TVs/Projectors it is a multistep process to fully enable CEC and you need to also select a menu to search for CEC devices or Enable Device Discovery, each manufacturer uses their own wording.
On Apple TV, go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers and make sure it is turned On.

If your Siri remote is still not working, contact Apple support.

Report a bug to Apple TV team.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Useful Links for new Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model

Siri remote and Apple TV Tech Support from Apple

Apple TV - Official Apple Support

Siri remote and Apple TV Product Feedback to Apple
Request a feature or enhancement
Report a bug/problem

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Set up your Apple TV and Siri Remote
Set up your Apple TV

Identify your Siri/Apple remote and Apple TV model
Identify your Apple TV model and remote model

How to find the serial numbers for your Apple TV and Siri Remote
How to find the serial numbers for your Apple TV and Siri Remote (2021 models not included)

Connect a wireless game controller to your Apple TV

Connect a wireless game controller to your Apple device
How to Pair a PS5 DualSense and Xbox Series X Controller With iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV

Apple TV 4K: How to Stream Audio From Your TV's Inputs to HomePod
Apple TV 4K: How to Stream Audio From Your TV's Inputs to HomePod
Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

tvOS 14.x versions
tvOS 14.x - Wikipedia

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
News and Article links for new Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model

HBO Max App Update for Apple TV Brings Back Native Video Player
HBO Max App Update for Apple TV Brings Back Native Video Player

New Features in Apple TV tvOS 15 coming fall 2021.

New Features in Apple TV tvOS 15 coming this fall

Apple tvOS 15 estimated release date, new features
Apple tvOS 15 release date, new features

Sony fixes TV power off issues with Siri remote/Apple TV.
Sony fixes HDMI CEC (power off) bug in 2016-2019 TVs

Thoughts on the new Apple TV 4K — well, mainly the new remote
Apple TV 4K2: Revenge of the Remote

Review of the Apple TV 4K (2021)
Review of the Apple TV 4K (2021)

New Apple TV 4K and new Siri remote Reviews (Thursday May 20, 2021 6:05 AM PDT)
New Apple TV 4K Reviews: A12 Chip is Noticeably Faster, Redesigned Siri Remote is Much Welcomed

New Apple TV 4K Orders Begin Shipping With May 21 Delivery
New Apple TV 4K Orders Begin Shipping With May 21 Delivery

New Apple TV 4K will be in stores Friday May 21st, 2021
iMac, iPad Pro, and Apple TV 4K in stores Friday

Apple TV 4K Orders Now Preparing to Ship Ahead of May 21 to 27 Delivery Estimates
Apple TV 4K Orders Now Preparing to Ship Ahead of May 21 to 27 Delivery Estimates

New Apple TV Ships With Redesigned Siri Remote, Also Sold Separately
New Apple TV Ships With Redesigned Siri Remote, Also Sold Separately for $59

Apple unveils redesigned $59 Apple TV remote with physical buttons, no glass
Apple unveils redesigned $59 Apple TV remote with physical buttons, no glass - 9to5Mac

Apple unveils a redesigned remote for Apple TV
Apple unveils a redesigned remote for its new Apple TV 4K

Comparing Apple's second-generation new Siri Remote 2021 with its predecessors
Compared: Apple's second-generation Siri Remote versus its predecessors | AppleInsider

New Siri Remote Lacks Accelerometer and Gyroscope for Gaming on Apple TV
New Siri Remote Lacks Accelerometer and Gyroscope for Gaming on Apple TV

Apple's second-generation Apple TV 4K and new Siri remote, launched April 2021.
Apple TV: New 4K Model! Should you Buy One? What's New

New Apple TV 4K unveiled with A12 Bionic, redesigned Siri Remote, HDMI 2.1
New Apple TV 4K unveiled with A12 Bionic, redesigned Siri Remote, HDMI 2.1

Wait, why isn't the new Siri Remote a Find My device?
Not being able to find the new Siri Remote in Find My seems wrong

Apple Press Release An all-new Siri Remote (includes download of images).
Apple unveils the next generation of Apple TV 4K

The new Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD with a redesigned Siri remote is now available for preorder.
Apple TV 4K: All the big upgrades coming to the new streaming box

Thank you for the memories, old Siri Remote launched in 2015.
Thank you for the memories, Siri Remote

Apple TV 4K (2021) vs. Apple TV HD Buyer's Guide
Apple TV HD vs. Apple TV 4K Buyer's Guide
Jump to section on new Siri remote

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What do the different Apps on Apple TV HD/4K support?

Circular gesture not yet supported by all Apps running on Apple TV HD/4K (box).
If you have any updates/corrections please direct message me.
Updated May 30th, 2021

✅ Reported Apps with Circular gesture support (USA):
TV (Apple TV app)
iTunes Movies
iTunes TV Shows
Netflix
Prime Video
Discovery+
Paramount+
ESPN+
Hulu
Showtime
Starz
Tablo
HBO Max (Update for Apple TV Brings Back Native Video Player)

Reported Apps where Circular gesture is not supported (USA):
Disney+
YouTube
Peacock
Plex
Fubo

In the meantime for these Apps you will need to use the swipe gesture instead.
Apple TV 4K/HD is the box/hardware, tv or Apple TV is an app and Apple TV+ is a streaming service from Apple.

Many reports on the New Siri remote and issues with HBO Max.
Temporary workaround, you can fast-forward and rewind using Siri.
You can say things like "Fast-Forward 10 seconds" or "Rewind 10 minutes and 20 seconds".
June 9th, 2021: HBO Max App Update for Apple TV Brings Back Native Video Player

Many reports on the New Siri remote and issues with YouTube.
YouTube Navigation 5-27-2021

Find a specific scene in a video.
Swipe down on the clickpad, you should see the playback time line. If you see Suggestions instead, swipe up to see the playback timeline. Swipe right or left to move to a specific part on the playback timeline, then press Play. To cancel and return to the original position, press the Back (“<“) button.

Swipe down on the clickpad, you should see the playback time line. If you see Suggestions instead, swipe up to see the playback timeline. Press right or left on clickpad ring to jump 10 seconds forward or back.

To hide playback time line
Press Back (“<“) button

To access other options like subscribe, like, dislike etc.
Swipe down on the clickpad, you should see the playback time line. If you see Suggestions instead, swipe up to see the playback timeline. If the other options appear above the playback timeline, swipe up. If the other options appear below the playback timeline, swipe down. Then swipe left or right to choose the option you want. To select press the center of the clickpad.

Pause using Play/Pause button does not work in some videos, you have to click the center of the clickpad instead.

Navigation seems to work differently in YouTube and Premium YouTube.

Hopefully YouTube will fix this mess soon.

xxx

Apple TV Dolby Atmos support by App 1080p/HD vs 4K
Dolby Atmos: what is it? How can you get it?
Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV

You need Apple TV 4k (1st and 2nd gen) models for Atmos support. Apple TV 4K uses a Dolby Atmos MAT encoder, which is designed to encode, decode and incorporate uncompressed Dolby Atmos metadata into pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio, allowing listeners to experience Dolby Atmos even in PCM audio. Apple is using PCM be able to mix other sounds from the system, like Siri.

Streaming Dolby Atmos is based on Dolby Digital Plus (lossy) whereas 4K and HD Blu-ray Dolby Atmos is based on Dolby TrueHD (lossless).

Tested for HD TVs and HD Projectors.
✅ Reported Apps with Dolby Atmos support for HD TVs and HD Projectors:

Apple TV app
Netflix (requires Netflix Premium Account)
Disney+
HBO Max

Reported Apps lacking Atmos for HD TVs and HD Projectors:
Prime Video

Tested for 4K TVs and 4K Projectors.
✅ Reported Apps with Dolby Atmos support for 4K TVs and 4K Projectors:

Apple TV app
Netflix (requires Netflix Premium Account)
Disney+
HBO Max
Prime Video

Reported Apps lacking Atmos for 4K TVs and 4K Projectors:
Hulu (just added 5.1)
Discovery+

Apple TV Frame Rate and Dynamic Range Matching by App (USA) by @mutelight

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow this is a fantastic resource for the New Siri Remote, thank you so much.
Thank you for your positive feedback. The FAQs and Guides are time consuming, but it’s gratifying to help owners with this resource for the new Siri remote.

Did you find what you were looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
"We also have a brand new clickpad, with five-way navigation for better accuracy, and the entire clickpad is touch enabled, preserving the fast directional swipes users love."
What does 5-way navigation on the new clickpad mean?
I understand 4-way navigation up, down, right, left.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Select.

5 way navigation buttons have an enter or select button in the middle to pick the chosen item. 4 way navigators usually have that button located nearby but it's usually a bit more inconvenient to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
5 way navigation buttons have an enter or select button in the middle to pick the chosen item. 4 way navigators usually have that button located nearby but it's usually a bit more inconvenient to use.
I tried googling 5-way navigation and couldn't find anything, thank you so much for explaining what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a TV connected to my soundbar with HDMI and my Apple TV is connected to my TV with HDMI.
However both my TV and Soundbar do not have HDMI-CEC. Will the new Siri remote be able to Power both my TV and Soundbar on and off?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have a TV connected to my soundbar with HDMI and my Apple TV is connected to my TV with HDMI.
However both my TV and Soundbar do not have HDMI-CEC. Will the new Siri remote be able to Power both my TV and Soundbar on and off?
May 24th, 2021: tvOS 14.6 currently has no options for the new Siri remote Power button to learn IR codes. Hopefully this will be fixed soon in a future tvOS. Will keep updating status. Temporary workaround.

If you need the Power button to be able to Learn IR commands.
Please report it to Apple (link below), so they will fix it. I reported it as a bug and requested the Power button to be able to Learn IR for at least 2 devices (TV/Projector and Soundbar/AVR). Additionally support for Learning IR for Discrete Power On/Off and Toggle Power On/Off and Discrete switch to desired HDMI input. Shouldn't be that hard for Apple they are already doing the IR Learning for Volume + - and Mute.
Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Apple promised Power IR control
Learning IR for the Power button is still missing as of tvOS14.6.
On the Apple TV 4K Tech Specs it states “Control your TV or receiver via IR or CEC”. With footnote (3): "Powering on and off, switching input to Apple TV, controlling volume, and mute.

Original Post May 17th, 2021
On the Apple TV 4K Tech Specs Web page it says “Control your TV or receiver via IR or CEC”. With a footnote (3): "Powering on and off, switching input to Apple TV, controlling volume, and mute." See screenshots below.

So, at this point there is nothing in writing from Apple about the new Siri remote supporting both a TV and Soundbar. The good news is that it says IR or CEC. So it seems Apple is expanding their IR support to include Power on/off for non HDMI-CEC TVs/Soundbars. So far it seems that IR Power On/off is only supporting a TV or Receiver/Soundbar. Technically Apple TV and the new Siri remote could support multiple device IR power on/off, if they will do it, is another story.

In theory Apple TV and the new Siri report could support:
TVs/Projectors without HDMI-CEC automatically.

Apple TV could possibly automatically program the right IR codes into the new Siri remote even for TVs/Projectors without HDMI-CEC, by using something called EDID info from the TV/Projector instead. If not, Apple TV will probably need to manually Learn the IR codes for the TV/Projector from the TV/Projector remote to program the needed IR codes into the new Siri remote.

AV Receivers/Soundbars without HDMI-CEC manually.
Apple TV will probably need to manually Learn the IR codes for the AV Receiver/Soundbar (since they do not have EDID) from the AV Receiver/Soundbar remote to program the needed IR codes into the new Siri remote.

We won’t really know for certain until the new Siri remote ships or Apple publishes the new IR information.

Source Apple:
Control your TV or receiver via IR or CEC. (3)
Footnote (3): Powering on and off, switching input to Apple TV, controlling volume, and mute.
From the new Apple TV 4K Tech Specs page

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Does the remote comes in "lossless" version?..:p:oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My new Siri remote should arrive in about 5-9 days. Can’t wait. I’ve lived with the old black Touch Siri remote for too long. Truly awful.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts