AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Does the remote comes in "lossless" version?..:p:oops:
No I still think it can get lost in the couch or by being misplaced. I don't think it has a remote finder unless you stick an air tag on it.

So i suppose with an airtag you could upgrade it to lossless.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No I still think it can get lost in the couch or by being misplaced. I don't think it has a remote finder unless you stick an air tag on it.

So i suppose with an airtag you could upgrade it to lossless.
Now this is funny dude

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
New Siri remote Reviews (and Apple TV 4K)
Thursday May 20, 2021 6:00 AM PDT, the embargo has lifted on reviews of the new Apple TV 4K and new Siri remote.

Unboxing of new Siri remote

New Siri remote and Apple TV 4K (2021) Review and Unboxing

NEW Apple TV 4K Unboxing & Review!

CNN Underscored says that the redesigned Siri Remote is the “best” they’ve ever tested and a “must buy” for Apple TV users:
"The Siri Remote is the star here, and it’s the best remote we’ve ever tested. It’s simple, minimalistic and, most importantly, intuitive to use. It’s a serious upgrade over the original, and if you’re currently happy with your previous-gen Apple TV 4K, we’d pay $59.99 and get the new remote. If you have an aging Apple TV HD, now is a terrific time to upgrade and future proof yourself for several years. Of course, you’ll also get the new Siri Remote.".
Rene Ritchie at iMore did have one criticism of the new Siri Remote, that being the Back button, previously known as the Menu button:
"What it won't solve for is the Menu button. Apple's renamed it Back, but like the Android back button of old, it's more like a random action button. If you're watching a video in the Apple TV app, and you press it, you get an option bar on the bottom of the screen. Then you have to press it again to exit. But if you press it in, say Netflix or Disney+, you're insta-dumped out of the video. On YouTube, back will dismiss the overlay. In Prime Video, it'll insta-dump you."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The next-generation  Siri remote 2021 is Now Shipping for early orders.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
May 21st, 2021. New Siri remotes (2021 model) and new Apple TV 4K have started arriving.
(A few even arrived before).

New Siri remotes (2021 model) available in many Apple Stores.
New Apple TV 4K available in many Apple Stores.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Check Power Button and IR status

May 21st, 2021
Power button
Press the Power button, this will wake up your Apple TV and automatically turn on your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar and automatically switch to the correct HDMI input. This is assuming your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar are all HDMI CEC enabled.

Press and hold the Power button, this will put your Apple TV to sleep and automatically turn off your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar. This is assuming your TV/Projector and AV Receiver/Soundbar are all HDMI CEC enabled.

Programming the Power button to do IR commands. For a device without HDMI CEC (or broken HDMI CEC).
May 24th, 2021: tvOS 14.6 currently has no options for the new Siri remote Power button to learn IR codes. Hopefully this will be fixed soon in a future tvOS. Will keep updating status.
See temporary workaround below.

If you need the Power button to be able to Learn IR commands.
Please
report it to Apple (link below), hopefully they will fix it if they get enough requests. I reported it as a bug and requested the Power button to be able to Learn IR for at least 2 devices (TV/Projector and Soundbar/AVR). Additionally support for Learning IR for Discrete Power On/Off and Toggle Power On/Off and Discrete switch to desired HDMI input. Shouldn't be that hard for Apple they are already doing the IR Learning for Volume + - and Mute.
Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW, the CEC implementations on the new Apple TV, the Yamaha rx-v379 and the Samsung QN90A do not play well together. Unless all of CEC is disabled, the TV is constantly put into "TV Speakers" mode when it shant. I had to go back to my Harmony setup. That sweet, sweet new power button is useless to me. :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
FWIW, the CEC implementations on the new Apple TV, the Yamaha rx-v379 and the Samsung QN90A do not play well together. Unless all of CEC is disabled, the TV is constantly put into "TV Speakers" mode when it shant. I had to go back to my Harmony setup. That sweet, sweet new power button is useless to me. :(
Sorry to hear that CEC is not working for your setup.
Suggest you report it as a bug to Apple (link below), hopefully they will fix it.

Siri remote and Apple TV Product Feedback to Apple
Report a bug/problem
Request a feature or enhancement
Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Manual for Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model.
This is a scan of the English part of the micro manual that came with the Siri remote.
Downloadable PDF, 3 posts down, Post #33

Downloadable PDF, 3 posts down, Post #33

·
Registered
678 Posts
When I press the power button on the new Siri remote that came with my new ATV4K (2nd generation) , it behaves as stated; it turns on my TV and the ATV. I can also put the ATV to sleep and turn off my TV with the button. I thought this was odd since my Sony TV does not have CEC turned on.

On a hunch, I took the remote into another room that also has a Sony TV but does not have an Apple TV connected to it. When I pressed the power button, this TV also turned on. I'm thinking it must be putting out an IR signal, or is there something I'm not understanding correctly about all of this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
When I press the power button on the new Siri remote that came with my new ATV4K (2nd generation) , it behaves as stated; it turns on my TV and the ATV. I can also put the ATV to sleep and turn off my TV with the button. I thought this was odd since my Sony TV does not have CEC turned on.

On a hunch, I took the remote into another room that also has a Sony TV but does not have an Apple TV connected to it. When I pressed the power button, this TV also turned on. I'm thinking it must be putting out an IR signal, or is there something I'm not understanding correctly about all of this?
That sounds promising. 😊

Can you double check if your Siri Remote is using IR for the new Siri remote Power button by holding one hand in front of the remote to block the IR signal from reaching your TV, if Power On/Off stops working, the Siri remote is sending IR to your TV (not Apple TV) for Power On/Off. Please let us know.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
This has been a nice primer for reading in advance. My ATV4k Gen2 should be here next Tuesday. The ATV4k Gen 1 will go downstairs for the LCD-based HTS and the ATV4 HD on that system will go to my daughter.

Sure wish that the new Apple Remote had a few universal remote features now that Logitech is no longer in the remote business.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts