AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
That sounds promising. 😊

Can you double check if your Siri Remote is using IR for the new Siri remote Power button by holding one hand in front of the remote to block the IR signal from reaching your TV, if Power On/Off stops working, the Siri remote is sending IR to your TV (not Apple TV) for Power On/Off. Please let us know.
Uh-oh. I tried again to turn on the Sony TV that does not have an Apple TV attached and it didn't work. I went back to the Sony with the Apple TV, did some troubleshooting and looking through menus when I discovered that there was some other device paired with the Siri remote. Turns out it was the TV without the Apple TV attached. (Is this making sense???) So, somehow, that second TV of mine paired itself with the Siri remote, making it look like it was turning on via IR. Weird.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Uh-oh. I tried again to turn on the Sony TV that does not have an Apple TV attached and it didn't work. I went back to the Sony with the Apple TV, did some troubleshooting and looking through menus when I discovered that there was some other device paired with the Siri remote. Turns out it was the TV without the Apple TV attached. (Is this making sense???) So, somehow, that second TV of mine paired itself with the Siri remote, making it look like it was turning on via IR. Weird.
Thank you so much for double checking. (y)

So IR is unfortunately still missing for the Power button on the new Siri remote. (n)

xx

May 24th, 2021: tvOS 14.6 currently has no options for the new Siri remote Power button to learn IR codes. Hopefully this will be fixed soon in a future tvOS. Will keep updating status.

If you need the Power button to be able to Learn IR commands.
Please
report it to Apple (link below), hopefully they will fix it if they get enough requests. I reported it as a bug and requested the Power button to be able to Learn IR for at least 2 devices (TV/Projector and Soundbar/AVR). Additionally support for Learning IR for Discrete Power On/Off and Toggle Power On/Off and Discrete switch to desired HDMI input. Shouldn't be that hard for Apple they are already doing the IR Learning for Volume + - and Mute.
Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Check Power button and IR status

Apple advertises the Power button being able to use IR, but so far IR learning is missing.
On the Apple TV 4K
Tech Specs it states “Control your TV or receiver via IR or CEC”. With footnote (3): "Powering on and off, switching input to Apple TV, controlling volume, and mute.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am trying to remap mute button so I can power on devices (power off works fine).
How do you do this? When i press the power button on the Siri remote to map it to mute it turns everything off (tv and Apple TV) so it is not able to map the power to mute.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
The IR Learning screen in Apple TV Settings is not very clear. During Learning you need to Press Power On/Off on your TV remote or AV Receiver/or Soundbar remote (not on your Siri remote). I updated the Video Tutorial to make it less confusing.

Also If you are setting up the Mute button to Power On/Off your TV you need to block the IR sensor on your TV during Learning to prevent your TV from turning Off during Learning.

Here is the updated Video Tutorial on using the Mute button for Power On/Off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Good news for some Sony TV owners using Apple TV
Sony Firmware update fixes Sony TV sleep issues with Siri remote/Apple TV for some Sony TV models. New Siri remote should now put those Sony TV models to sleep correctly.
US Sony TV Models Firmware. (v6.7165)
UK Sony TV Models Firmware. (v6.7165)

For those who still have problems.
If the new Siri remote Power button does not work on your TV/Projector or AV Receiver/Soundbar.

Please report it to Apple (link below), hopefully they will fix it if they get enough requests. I reported it as a bug and requested the Power button to be able to Learn IR for at least 2 devices (TV and Soundbar/AVR). And Learning IR for Discrete Power On/Off and Toggle Power On/Off and Discrete switch to desired HDMI input. Shouldn't be that hard for Apple they are already doing the IR Learning for Volume + - and Mute.
Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Apple advertises IR support for Power On/Off
Learning IR for the Power button is still missing as of tvOS14.6.
On the Apple TV 4K Tech Specs page it states “Control your TV or receiver via IRor CEC”. With footnote (3): "Powering on and off, switching input to Apple TV, controlling volume, and mute.

Check
Power button and IR status

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tip of the day

Show the current time of day and the exact time when the movie or TV show you‘re watching will be over.

Tap once (don’t click) in the center of the clickpad to get the elapsed and remaining time on the playback timeline. And tap again for current time of day along with the estimated time of completion for the movie or TV show you‘re watching.

User Guide and Tips & Tricks for New Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Tip of the day

Show the current time of day and the exact time when the movie or TV show you‘re watching will be over.

Tap once (don’t click) in the center of the clickpad to get the elapsed and remaining time on the playback timeline. And tap again for current time of day along with the estimated time of completion for the movie or TV show you‘re watching.

User Guide and Tips & Tricks for New Siri Remote (2nd generation) 2021 model.
Yes, I caught this the other day by accident by tapping twice. Nice feature. The only thing about the new Siri remote that I don't like is that the trackpad is so sensitive. Many times now, when I first try and activate the remote after turning on the ATV4K 2nd gen. it will pause the movie or once it even rewound the movie for a few minutes because I guess I must have accidently rolled back on the trackpad?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yes, I caught this the other day by accident by tapping twice. Nice feature. The only thing about the new Siri remote that I don't like is that the trackpad is so sensitive. Many times now, when I first try and activate the remote after turning on the ATV4K 2nd gen. it will pause the movie or once it even rewound the movie for a few minutes because I guess I must have accidently rolled back on the trackpad?
What do you do to activate your remote?
Wondering if that could cause problems.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I click the trackpad to activate remote.
Are you clicking in the center of the trackpad or up, down, left right on outer ring?
What happens if you Press Play/Pause button instead?

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Are you clicking in the center of the trackpad or up, down, left right on outer ring?
What happens if you Press Play/Pause button instead?
EDIT: It appears like the new ATV4K 2021 doesn't require you to activate the Siri remote. It may already be active all the time and that's why I was having issue. The older model and remote required you to activate every time you turned the ATV4k device On.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Just added to the FAQ
How do I copy settings and Apps and the organization of the Apps from an existing Apple TV 4K to a new Apple TV 4K?

If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, use it to more easily log in to your Apple ID and Wi-Fi network on a new Apple TV and to sign into Apps.

By having more than one Apple TV associated with the same Apple ID, and turning on One Home Screen on the Apple TVs, you can keep the same appearance and Apps for each Apple TV.

For both Apple TVs:

Settings App on Apple TV > Users and Accounts > Add Default User…

After Default User exists, select Settings > Users and Accounts > Name of Default User > One Home Screen > On

When you start up the new Apple TV it will sync all of your Apps and the organization of the Apps.

Unfortunately, some things do not transfer from your old Apple TV. You still need to manually sign in to Apps that don’t support single sign-on and you need to manually customize your Apple TV settings.

It’s easy to transfer all the content and settings when you upgrade an iPhone, but this is not yet available for the Apple TV.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
List of Siri remote issues with HBO Max App
Temporary workaround, you can fast-forward and rewind using Siri. You can say things like "Fast-Forward 10 seconds" or "Rewind 10 minutes and 20 seconds".

List from: HBO Max tvOS Update Breaks Several Key Features, Degrading Experience Significantly

• No support for “What did she say?”
• No support for skipping back/forward 15 seconds using the new Siri Remote D-Pad or the edge of the old Siri remote’s trackpad.
• No support for touching the D-pad/trackpad to bring up the timeline UI while playing.
• The ‘next episode’ pop-up that appears at the end of an episode can’t be removed and pressing back/menu as before kicks you out to the main menu.
• Almost all Siri commands don’t work (only, it seems, “skip ahead X minutes”).
• Turning on/off subtitles requires pressing pause, swiping down then across to subtitles, pressing again then scrolling to your desired option, pressing yet again then resuming playback. Before, you could swipe down, select your choice, then swipe up again - the standard tvOS way.
• Everything SDR - which is most of HBO Max, except for the new release films - is now ‘forced’ into HDR, meaning the brightness is a bit burnt out and colours are way too saturated. You can’t turn this off.
• Pausing and then scrubbing forward and back has a massive bug, and the timestamp needle flies off in either direction with no way to slow it down until it hits the start or end.

You can report your displeasure of the App to HBO Max.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
The HBO Max app update is a disaster, my Siri remote hardly works with HBO Max. Worked OK before this update.
I think HBO Max is a disaster all around. I only subscribed for a short time and quickly stopped because I hated it. You never know what is going to be working or not and worse yet, what resolution they're going to have the content. Very poor service for being one of the most expensive streaming services around. I don't think I will be trying it again for a long time?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
New Features in Apple TV tvOS 15 coming this fall.
  • SharePlay: Watch movies or shows with anyone, anywhere with SharePlay. Just start a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, then add Apple TV to share the viewing experience on the big screen. Everyone’s playback is coordinated — so you and your friends can laugh, cry, scream, or sigh at the same time.
  • For All of You: Browse a new row in the Apple TV app to find something that everyone in the house can’t wait to watch.
  • Shared with You: Movies and shows shared through Messages appear in a new row in the Apple TV app.
  • Spatial audio: Listen with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max for a theater-like experience with sound that surrounds you.
  • Smart AirPods routing: Get an automatic onscreen notification to magically connect your AirPods.
  • HomeKit camera enhancements: View multiple cameras around the house at the same time on your Apple TV.
  • Room-filling stereo sound: Pair two HomePod mini speakers with Apple TV 4K and enjoy rich, balanced sound for everything you watch.
No mention so far of IR learning for Power button.
From Apple TV 4K product page.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts