AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,

No Noob by any means, but I have my AppleTV4K (Newest) attached to my Sony STR-DN1080 (Game input - HDMI) and the receiver connects to HDMI3 on my Sony XBR75X900F with CEC on for both. When I power off with the new Siri Remote, everything shuts off immediately, but then instantly, the TV and Receiver power back on.

I had ditched cable and hoped to use this remote instead of the Logitech Harmony One since I only watch Apple TV content.

Why does the TV and receiver automagically turn back on again? Does anyone have a similar setup and solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hi All,

No Noob by any means, but I have my AppleTV4K (Newest) attached to my Sony STR-DN1080 (Game input - HDMI) and the receiver connects to HDMI3 on my Sony XBR75X900F with CEC on for both. When I power off with the new Siri Remote, everything shuts off immediately, but then instantly, the TV and Receiver power back on.

I had ditched cable and hoped to use this remote instead of the Logitech Harmony One since I only watch Apple TV content.

Why does the TV and receiver automagically turn back on again? Does anyone have a similar setup and solution?

Thanks!
What other devices do you have hooked up to your Receiver?
One of them could be sending CEC Wake up command.
To find out if this is coming from the TV or Receiver, try plugging Apple TV into the TV directly and disconnect the Receiver temporarily and see if the automatic undesired Power back on goes away or not?

The CEC protocol doesn't send discrete "turn on the TV and turn on the Receiver" commands, Instead it sends a "PLAY ME" broadcast, and any device between the player and the display does what it needs to do in order to get on the TV/Projector (power On, switch HDMI input, etc.).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks!
Is your TV's firmware up to date? This sounds like the well-know hdmi-cec bug which was solved a few days ago by a firmware update from sony, but i a not sure if your tv-model is affected.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
With tvOS 15, You Can Sign Into Apple TV Apps Using Face ID or Touch ID on Your iPhone

Hopefully all Apple TV Apps that now require login and password will add this functionality for tvOS 15 coming out this fall.

Currently when you upgrade an Apple TV under tvOS 14 you have to login and put in passwords for all the Apps, this will make it much easier. It will also make it easier with those annoying Apps that require you to sign in again every couple months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
All-new look for the media playback UI on Apple TV in tvOS 15.

The options in the drop down Info pane; Info, Subtitles, Audio, move from the top of the screen to being slightly below and above the playback timeline in tvOS 15 (coming this fall).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
All-new look for the media playback UI on Apple TV in tvOS 15.

New Info view in tvOS 15 (coming this fall). There will also be a Chapter view and Apps can add custom ones like Related (TV shows and Movies).

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
^^^ Not sure what you mean by "chapter view" since we already have chapters available now?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 14.7 to Developers

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Is there a way to disable the bottom left button? I keep pressing it by accident to play/pause content because that’s where it was on the old remote. This time I couldn’t get rid of the “mute” icon on the TV screen after pressing this. I had to reboot two times before it went away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I agree, they should have put Play/Pause where it used to be or made the mute button smaller.
You can't really disable the Mute button but you could program it with an IR code that your TV ignores.
1. Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control.
2. Select Learn New Device…
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control volume for your TV. Make sure you use the TV remote (AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote) (not Siri remote) for the onscreen Learning.
When you get to Learning Mute use another IR remote and choose a button that has no effect on your TV.
Make sure under Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control, the device you just learned is selected.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
I agree, they should have put Play/Pause where it used to be or made the mute button smaller.
You can't really disable the Mute button but you could program it with an IR code that your TV ignores.
1. Go to Settings App > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control.
2. Select Learn New Device…
3. Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote to control volume for your TV. Make sure you use the TV remote (AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote) (not Siri remote) for the onscreen Learning.
When you get to Learning Mute use another IR remote and choose a button that has no effect on your TV.
Make sure under Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control, the device you just learned is selected.
Thanks, I’ll try and do that tomorrow.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts