AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving into a new apartment. It's an old building and the apt has a lot of oak wood features that are pretty but will be hard to route wires nicely.

Howwever the landlord installed phone jacks all over the place when he rennovated a few years ago. But there's just one cable TV coax line in.

I'd rather not have the cable guy (or myself) run cable wire all over the place to reach the areas where the TVs will go. But the phone jacks, which are basically useless thanks to cordless phones, are already in these areas.

Do I have any options to repurpose them?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If they were "home run" to a small panel in a closet in the apartment (which is possible, but not necessarily expected), and the phone wire used is cat5 and not just 4-conductor 'station wire' (aka phone wire), then yes, you may be able to do something. If not, then no, that wire will be useless for A/V distribution...

Jeff

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not totally sure what you mean by a home run. Do you mean a single point of entry of the phone that then distributes to the various jacks? I'll bet that's the case. I'll have to look for it. But I assume that they wired all of the jacks to one official one.

Assuming I can disconnect the main phone line and then have a stand alone network of phone jacks can I just solder on coax connectors and thats it or do I need impedence transformers, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yes, "home run" meaning that each jack is an individual cable, all coming from a central point. Traditional residential "phone wiring" used a single cable that daisy-chained from one jack to the next.

You need to determine the type of cable used - is it a cat5 twisted-pair cable, or just a 4-conductor phone wire.

But no, you can't just put a "coax connector" onto a cat5/phone wire. You will need to look at alternative A/V systems, as you won't be able to just pass the whole cable signal.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
For what? Computer networking or A/V distribution?

For networking, powerline Ethernet adapters or wireless would be the way, I don't think anyone makes the phone-wire / HomePNA stuff any more... For A/V, the phone wire is useless.

Jeff

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AV distribution. I already have wireless networking covered.

Basically I want to hook up a time warner set top box in places where there is only a phone jack. If I can cut the phone jacks off from the main phone in to the apartment, just wondering if I can make use of the existing in wall wiring and jacks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts