AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got to preview the new ati cards that come out later this year, and there will be no bitstreaming, they dont want to pay the licence fees for the codecs.So a soundcard is your only option...bummer

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's sad, though it doesn't stop from putting all that is required inside the hardware and if you want the bitstreaming you pay the extra licence fees whatever they might be and you get something that will unlock that capability then.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
How does bitstreaming, which is passing a signal through UNTOUCHED, require a license fee?

Surely DECODING requires a license fee, but not bitstreaming.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/17008083

How does bitstreaming, which is passing a signal through UNTOUCHED, require a license fee?

Surely DECODING requires a license fee, but not bitstreaming.

Bitstreaming untouched HD audio (not downsampled) requires a PAP and that is where the licensing comes in. The hardware to create the PAP is private and requires permission to be used (licensing).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Any idea when the new ATI cards will be launched? Do you think they will be ready in time for the Windows 7 launch?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Bitstreaming HD audio has nothing to do with PAP. Think about stand alone BD players; they don't support PAP, but can support HD audio bitstreaming. A CE product is considered as a 'closed' system, while a PC is an 'open' system (HD audio/video streams in a "user accessible" bus such as PCI Express must be encrypted).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the preview
I think I will now stop waiting with expectations for the new ATI cards.

A related question: Do you know if the HD Audio Controller / HDMI port is v1.3 ? Just want to confirm that the bandwidth is there for the lossless codecs.

A side question: Will the open source guys like AC3Filter and Reclock be able to take advantage of the 7.1 channel HDMI audio (which I assume, is supported since it was already in the 4600 & 4800 series) and provide bitstreaming of HD audio in MKV containers (basically streams with no content protection whatsoever). [ I assume the OSS guys will eventually 'crack' the algo for decoding / bitstreaming -- now that it is possible to decode TrueHD on VLC -- DTS-HD shouldn't be far behind? ]

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
HD 4xxx HDMI audio supports up to 24/32 bit, 192kHz, 8 channel (actually tested and confirmed).

The MKV container does not support Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio right now. AC3Filter is limited to AC3/DTS. ReClock is not an audio decoder (it is supposed to replace the default DirectSound/WaveOut renderer).

The best audio processing method you can get right now is either

- bitstreaming HD audio via Xonar HDAV1.3 with TMT or

- MKV+FLAC (decoded by a TrueHD decoder in eac3to/DTS-HD MA decoder by ArcSoft)+madFlac (the only bit-perfect FLAC decoder)+ReClock WASAPI exclusive mode.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17058741

The MKV container does not support Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio right now.

I believe MKV has been supporting DTS-HD and TrueHD for some months now.

Here is one link where you can grep for DTS-HD and TrueHD from the MKVToolNix documentation : http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv.../doc/ChangeLog

I am also in possession of one MKV with DTS-HD MA soundtrack. If you want, I can upload the sample clip.

I will edit this post with more links as and when I can find them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What splitter supports those codecs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/17060537

Here is one link where you can grep for DTS-HD and TrueHD from the MKVToolNix documentation : http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv.../doc/ChangeLog

I am also in possession of one MKV with DTS-HD MA soundtrack. If you want, I can upload the sample clip.

I will edit this post with more links as and when I can find them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx /forum/post/17061261

What splitter supports those codecs?

The file that I have apparently plays only in NMTs like PCH-110 and the like which support bitstreaming of DTS-HD and TrueHD soundtracks from MKVs. So, not sure which splitter supports these codecs on the HTPC.

I couldn't play it on my HTPC. I used eac3to to extract the core DTS from the DTS-HD soundtrack, and remuxed it back into the MKV file and set that as the default soundtrack. After that, I was able to get bitstreaming of DTS using AC3Filter onto my receiver.

I am still waiting for the day when my HTPC setup can bitstream the DTS-HD soundtrack to my Onkyo 606 :|

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/17061317

The file that I have apparently plays only in NMTs like PCH-110 and the like which support bitstreaming of DTS-HD and TrueHD soundtracks from MKVs. So, not sure which splitter supports these codecs on the HTPC.

:|

TrueHD support for HTPC has been around for some time now. DTS-HD support is limited to 'core' only playback for the time being....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma /forum/post/17061749

TrueHD support for HTPC has been around for some time now. DTS-HD support is limited to 'core' only playback for the time being....

Yup, but in this thread I was referring to bitstreaming.. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the last post of mine.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma /forum/post/17061749

PCH's do not support HD audio bitstreaming from MKV's, and bitstreaming of HD audio in HTPC's is severely limited to a specific software/hardware solution.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman5 /forum/post/17061831

PCH's do not support HD audio bitstreaming from MKV's, and bitstreaming of HD audio in HTPC's is severely limited to a specific software/hardware solution.

Thanks for pointing that out, ashman5! I have never owned a PCH, so I couldn't vouch for that first hand.

However, I do see reports and feedback (and even specs page on PCH website) which says there is audio passthrough for DTS-HD and TrueHD over HDMI. These must be from .m2ts or .ts files. I believe the container is not important. Rather, the ability to bitstream these codec streams is.

That is why I was excited to see that AC3Filter has, amongst its accepted feature requests, support for DTS-HD and TrueHD. [ http://code.google.com/p/ac3filter/issues/list ]

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/17062037

Thanks for pointing that out, ashman5! I have never owned a PCH, so I couldn't vouch for that first hand.

However, I do see reports and feedback (and even specs page on PCH website) which says there is audio passthrough for DTS-HD and TrueHD over HDMI. These must be from .m2ts or .ts files. I believe the container is not important. Rather, the ability to bitstream these codec streams is.

That is why I was excited to see that AC3Filter has, amongst its accepted feature requests, support for DTS-HD and TrueHD. [ http://code.google.com/p/ac3filter/issues/list ]

Yep, PCH can bitstream from .m2ts but you loose chapters.

hopefully AC3Filter will be able to make bitstreaming happen.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/17060537

Thanks for the link. To play them in PC, there are a couple of serious issues, however:

- The lack of a proper source/splitter filter. Without it, you can't play a HD audio track at all.

- The lack of a real-time bit-perfect (in the sense of madFlac) TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoder (let alone a decoder [not a "decoder" actually] supporting bitstreaming assuming HD 4xxx/5xxx HDMI audio is capable of bitsreaming HD audio).

So "currently" MKV+FLAC is the only way to get audio equivalent to HD audio bitstreaming via Xonar HDAV1.3 in quality. I am sure quite a few people (including me
) prefer MKV with TrueHD/DTS-HD MA audio track, letting a proper decoder decode (or even bitstream) them in the WASAPI exclusive mode. I hope that happen soon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
MPC-HC's internal MKV splitter supported True HD for a while now. You'll need the latest SVN builds of course, not the old 908 stable on Sourceforge.

Quote:
CHANGED : support for MLP/True HD in MKV

Haali Splitter is usually out of date, buggy and even crashes 1,500 times a day according to Microsoft.

http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/...st/003533.html

Quote:
Splitter.ax is crashing around 1500 times per day on Windows 7.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts