Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of yesterday at 3pm EDT. :)

Linky: www.ati.com

Same 3dmark05 score result from previous 5.7 and no immediate known issues with MCE 2005, granted I just have it installed last evening on my Dell XPS Gen 4 rig. Not yet try other 3d games but feedbacks around the net seem very encouraging, at least game wise, anyway.

Post any related issue with MCE 2005 here if you have one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have it hooked up DVI to HDMI and working well, need to do some tweaking but so far so good. Now the Nvidia guys will not be able to beat that dead horse any more. No offence intended but get tired of the Nvidia/ATI wars. Both cards are good and neither are that much better you are either a GM guy or a Ford guy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
These are the first set of drivers that finally let me connect my HTPC to my Toshiba 57HX93 through the DVI port instead of having to use the component adapter. The picture seems a bit crisper through the DVI. I am having one problem though, it doesn't seem to want to retain the resolution that I set. The best resolution that I have found is 1152x652 using 720p timings. This works great until I reboot at which time the resolution resets itself to 848x480. This is not a huge issue because I can just manually reset it back to 1152x652 but it is a bit annoying. Anybody have any similar issues?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had read a few months ago that 5.8 would allow more customization on resolution and refresh rates so as to avoid overscan via DVI (I believe you can already do this via component although I have not tried) and also potentially let me run with 1:1 pixel mapping on my HS10.

I don't see anything to that effect in these drivers though. Am I missing something?

-Chriscic

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor
These are the first set of drivers that finally let me connect my HTPC to my Toshiba 57HX93 through the DVI port instead of having to use the component adapter. The picture seems a bit crisper through the DVI. I am having one problem though, it doesn't seem to want to retain the resolution that I set. The best resolution that I have found is 1152x652 using 720p timings. This works great until I reboot at which time the resolution resets itself to 848x480. This is not a huge issue because I can just manually reset it back to 1152x652 but it is a bit annoying. Anybody have any similar issues?
Really? I have a Toshiba 34hf84 (something like that, 34" WS tube TV) it was a pain in the arse to get 1080i and 720p to work through powerstrip. I even had to get DVIdetective to emulate a EIDE (?) signal to the video card to even display through DVI....

Are you just direct connecting the DVI to your TV and using the ATI driver resolutions or are you using powerstrip?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
There is a TIP about UNchecking a box that tells the s/w to ONLY USE MODES SUPPORTED BY THE MONITOR. This may help you with your reboot issue/loss of rez.

·
Registered
525 Posts
have the fixed the problem where secondary monitor always gets reset to 640 x 480 on reboot. when i upgraded to 5.7 i ran into this.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Finally Cat 5.8 fixed the green macro block bug with WMVHD for me. I have a 9800pro that would show green macro blocks with the Step into Liquid DVD and Cat 5.6 or 5.7. It worked just fine with 5.5 and now it works again with 5.8. I think it had something to do with the implementation of wmv hardware acceleration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I still get skipping when I try to play Wmvhd videos. It looks like some frames are missing or the video is out of sink with the audio. I never had this problem before the 5.7 drivers which should have acceleration. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by me or do I have to wait for a new driver update that will fix this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk
Really? I have a Toshiba 34hf84 (something like that, 34" WS tube TV) it was a pain in the arse to get 1080i and 720p to work through powerstrip. I even had to get DVIdetective to emulate a EIDE (?) signal to the video card to even display through DVI....

Are you just direct connecting the DVI to your TV and using the ATI driver resolutions or are you using powerstrip?
Yes, I am just direct connecting the video card DVI port to the TVs DVI port using a single link DVI-D cable. I am not using powerstrip at all (I tried a while back and didn't particularly care for it, it seemed to cause my system to become unstable). With previous versions of the catalyst drivers I would either get no "desktop" at all (black screen) or the desktop would just do a vertical scroll. Now the drivers actually recognize the toshiba tv and treat it as a FPD. I still get the same amount of overscan as I did with the component adapter but it's very small and primarily on the right side of the screen (can't see to the right of the clock). I whish there was a way to "move" the screen to the left but still can't do that although I could do it with Powerstrip.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I am just direct connecting the video card DVI port to the TVs DVI port using a single link DVI-D cable. I am not using powerstrip at all (I tried a while back and didn't particularly care for it, it seemed to cause my system to become unstable). With previous versions of the catalyst drivers I would either get no "desktop" at all (black screen) or the desktop would just do a vertical scroll. Now the drivers actually recognize the toshiba tv and treat it as a FPD. I still get the same amount of overscan as I did with the component adapter but it's very small and primarily on the right side of the screen (can't see to the right of the clock). I whish there was a way to "move" the screen to the left but still can't do that although I could do it with Powerstrip.
sweet just in time... getting the HTPC back up soon... I was having the same problem with the black screen/no desktop...

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
I had the same problem until I installed a Monitor Profile (INF file) from my old Samsung DLP TV and now it retains the selected resolution on restart.

How much underscan are you getting with 1152x652 inside 720p timings? Using graphice card DVI to HDMI input on a Sony LCD TV I'm getting around 1 inch underscan on all sides of the desktop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie question:

I have a Dell 9100 with X600 and HDTV wonder.

Does Cat 5.8 update drivers for X600 only ?

Or it updates drivers for HDTV wonder as well ?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I've downloaded them but have NOT installed them as yet. I was thinking seriously about installing this version as Powerstrip may again work with it. Although, I don't have any REAL need for PS since I'd gotten the YPbPr output to run and the CCC Profiles to switch between monitors. Upgrading when there's no REAL reason is hazardous so I may not...

Can anyone comment whether the Cat 5.8 has any effect of the HDTV's infamous BLACK-OUT BUG?

Speaking on HDTV-Wonder --> it's my understanding the drivers are for the display. HDTV-W drivers are a seperate issue... but I have an AIW 9600XT so I don't know the issues you "X" folks are facing... read the release notes

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Can anyone comment whether the Cat 5.8 has any effect of the HDTV's infamous BLACK-OUT BUG?"

Andrew,

I may have seen the BLACK-OUT BUG with Cat. 5.8 on my ATI 9000 graphics card.

I have (had) the ATI DVI output connected to the HDMI input on a new Sony A20 HDTV and found that when switching to another input such as the internal HDTV tuner and upon returning to HDMI input the screen was blank (black). I could restore the desktop image by unplugging and reconnecting the DVI cable at the ATI card.

I reverted back to Cat. 5.4 driver and no longer have the black screen problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I don't have a black-out problem with Cat. 5.8 on another HTPC connected to the DVI input on a flat panel LCD-TV.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The 'blackout bug' I was referring to is the case when watching MMC's DTV the screen momentarily STOPS or goes 'black' on five-minute intervals (when it is writing/opening the TVonDemand .vcr files). This is a regular issue with MMC that began around MMC 9.03 -- we've been waiting to see if a new MMC or Catalyst driver will fix it.

Thanks for your comment though -- some others may have concerns w/DVI

·
Registered
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic
I had read a few months ago that 5.8 would allow more customization on resolution and refresh rates so as to avoid overscan via DVI (I believe you can already do this via component although I have not tried) and also potentially let me run with 1:1 pixel mapping on my HS10.

I don't see anything to that effect in these drivers though. Am I missing something?

-Chriscic
To answer my own question, this feature has been added but you need to download the version with the Catalyst Control Center to access it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.