AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, I'm trying to share my latest finding with you all. As some of you may know, I've been looking for a hi quality dock for my Ipod classic. I've got about 103 GB of Aiff files on it, basically every CD I own for the first one I bought back in 1986. I tried a bunch of docks and they all lacked in some way. The HomeDock HD was the best one, but I had issues with near $200. into a simple dock! This morning I got up with one thing in mind, go out and buy a AppleTV, I know it's two years old and really made to sell music/movies, but I wanted to play my pure audio via a pure digital route. I was in luck! The store was out of stock!! No AppleTv's, but the sakes guy said, Why not try this one instead? He handed me a Western Digital WD TV. I'm like, what is it? and will it play AIFF files? He replied yes it will and also about any other file you throw at it! I asked, digital out? he said, Yes! HDMI or Optical. I said what are it's short comings? he said, No built in HD and no networking. I paused... And thought... Do I really need it to network? NO. So I slapped down 100 donuts and took it home! Plugged it into the 705, put an album on a jump drive and WOW! HighEnd sound from my lowFi system.

I'm just running HDMI and this thing could not be any more easy and sound any better! Try one, You'll LOVE IT!!!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I guess that's not too bad.

You would think, that Apple could have made the iPod such that a cheap SPDIF interface could have been made for it. I guess not though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts