AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve recently bought a set of paradigm se 6000f and matching centre.
I have b&w M1 as rears, a definite technology sc4000 sub and a Sony strdn1080 receiver.
I was curious what settings would be best for my set up? What hz for the speakers, sub, rears etc.

It’s been 20 years since my old speakers.

Thanks in advance 😁

·
Registered
201 Posts
Always do 80hz cross over. Producing low frequency takes more out of your speakers and amp. Let sub do the heavy lifting. Low frequency has no direction, so there is point making your good speakers work hard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate,

Would I do 80hz for all the speakers including the rears? What about the sub?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You dont want to do filtering twice. So set the sub woofer cut to the highest possible.
  • From your amp, set all the speakers including rears to cut at 80hz
  • Your amp will only send 20-80hz to sub woofer

Just leave the frequency filter to the max setting allowed in the sub. Just because you are setting the sub to 120hz, it is not actually playing 80-120hz audio as the receiver has filtered the audio. All you are doing is disabling the sub woofers frequency filter.

Run a frequency sweep, there are several youtube audio that plays from 20-20khz. Check to make sure there is no hole or weird bump in your frequency response. You can just a phone and db meter app for basic check. Once it looks good, then you can use audyssey from your amp and tune the levels.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Your fronts should be fine at 80 Hz crossover point. the rears, however, may be happier at 100 Hz. Check both 80 and 100 for the rears and go with the crossover point that sounds best to you. If your receiver has the option of crossing over at 90Hz, you might give that a try, as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, just set the fronts to 80hz, rears to 100hz and sub to 150hz. Do I have the subwoofer low pass filter on from the receiver? So the receiver does the work?

Do I need to adjust the eq? Treble Bass?

Sounds good so far 😃

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Thanks all, just set the fronts to 80hz, rears to 100hz and sub to 150hz. Do I have the subwoofer low pass filter on from the receiver? So the receiver does the work?

Do I need to adjust the eq? Treble Bass?

Sounds good so far 😃
This is what you want!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
1. Turn the subwoofer's crossover knob completely clockwise or to "bypass".
2. Turn the subwoofer's gain knob to about 11:00 (to start).
3. Reset your AVR, and run the setup program.
4. When you get your results, set the crossovers to the speakers NO LOWER than what is suggested. It is OK to set it HIGHER though, ie: your fronts could be set to "Large" with a 50Hz crossover. ALL speakers, except the sub, should be set to "Small" - meaning that all bass below the crossover frequency will be sent to the sub. Set the LPF for LFE (Low Pass Filter for Low Frequency Effects) at 120Hz - the Dolby and THX standard, as that is the specific frequency range for the LFE channel - the ".1" of your setup.
5. Enjoy!

These are my guidelines, and have worked well for me in the past.

Reactions: Ryan Statz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, Thanks to everyone. You yanks and Canadians aren’t that bad 😁. All set up. Set 80hz to front and centre. 100hz to rears. Had to go up a little on volume for the centre, rear and sub. Have the receiver doing the work for the sub. Sounds pretty damn good! Even the mrs is happy 😊

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Happy to help. A properly-tuned HT is a beautiful thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts