AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance here, as this post covers several topics which have different sub-forums. There's no one forum covering all the ground I'm interested in.

I've decided I need a "downsized" HT system, as my old system (Marantz tuner + dedicated amp & Vandersteen speakers) is too large for the current space.

After doing some looking, my first instinct is a Marantz nr1402 & a full set of NHTs (4x superzero 2.0, super-8 subwoofer, supercenter).

The primary input will be a PS-3, though I'd also like to stream audio from my computer. I will be using the system both for listening to music & watching DVDs/BDs.

1. Anyone feel there are substitutions I should seriously look at for better sound without adding substantially to the system cost? (either in the speaker choice or in my choice of AVR)

2. I am looking for a good way to stream music from my computer to the system wirelessly. I know I can simply use DLNA and use the PS3 to play the music, but the DLNA interface isn't very nice. I looked for a system which could take optical out from the PC and transmit that wirelessly to another optical out, so as to let the AVR do all the D/A conversion + amplification, but I was unable to find anything resembling that. My computer is substantially further away than the 33-foot range for bluetooth. Do any solutions resembling what I am describing exist?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarius /forum/post/20893838

Apologies in advance here, as this post covers several topics which have different sub-forums. There's no one forum covering all the ground I'm interested in.

I've decided I need a "downsized" HT system, as my old system (Marantz tuner + dedicated amp & Vandersteen speakers) is too large for the current space.

After doing some looking, my first instinct is a Marantz nr1402 & a full set of NHTs (4x superzero 2.0, super-8 subwoofer, supercenter).

The primary input will be a PS-3, though I'd also like to stream audio from my computer. I will be using the system both for listening to music & watching DVDs/BDs.

1. Anyone feel there are substitutions I should seriously look at for better sound without adding substantially to the system cost? (either in the speaker choice or in my choice of AVR)

2. I am looking for a good way to stream music from my computer to the system wirelessly. I know I can simply use DLNA and use the PS3 to play the music, but the DLNA interface isn't very nice. I looked for a system which could take optical out from the PC and transmit that wirelessly to another optical out, so as to let the AVR do all the D/A conversion + amplification, but I was unable to find anything resembling that. My computer is substantially further away than the 33-foot range for bluetooth. Do any solutions resembling what I am describing exist? Cheers

You need a receiver that has a network connection. Connect that to your router and it will see and play the files on your computer thru the wi-fi. Quit trying to avoid buying a 7.1 channel receiver. Almost all product is 7.1. Just go with it. Get a receiver with network first, then maybe usb if you are rich.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. I see the Marantz NR1602 which has the network connection, but from what I'm seeing about it, that allows it to do DNLA, which really isn't what I am after. I explicitly want to be able to set up my computer as an input on the AVR, and go to my computer and start something playing. DNLA interfaces are pretty darn weak. PC interfaces for accessing music are far more rich, usable, and keep updating all the time. I just want to be able to huck the output over to the sound system so it can be rendered credibly, and if I want to use DNLA, I have the PS3 which already supports that.

As far as 7.1, I'm not trying to avoid it. I simply happened to pick a receiver that does not have it. I don't plan to hook up a 7.1 set of speakers to this system; I already have a full 7.1 rig on my other system, but that system is a bit large for this space.

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I use a Logitech Squeezebox for wireless sending of audio from my computer to be a standard input to a receiver (either analog or digital). It works great and has an excellent interface for choosing songs.

·
Registered
899 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.