Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the first 13 episode set from www.deepdiscountdvd.com

The New Avengers was a 1976 sequel to the 1960's Avengers series. Patrick MacNee returned as John Steed and his new female sidekick was Purdey, played by Joanna Lumley (most widely known for 'Absolutely Fabulous' in the early 90's). This series played briefly in the U.S. in the late 70's, but I have never seen it available on TV since then, unlike the 60's series which seems to have been more or less continuously available.

I have only watched the first two episodes. The picture is 4x3 and the quality is slightly better than SD satellite channels, but not up to the better TV series like 'UFO' which dates from the late 60's. Almost all of the sound comes out of the center channel rather than spread across all of the front channels.

However the highlight of this series is Joanna Lumley. My personal choice for the most beautiful actress ever would be Joanna in the New Avengers. (Perhaps it was just the timing of this show coming out when I was in college.) In the first episode she has this fight scene in a green unitard. Wow.

Anyway, if you enjoyed the original series or are looking for a show you have never seen before, I would highly recommend this series.

Duane

·
Registered
96 Posts
Duane,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was a fan of the series back when Diana Rigg was Steed's sidekick. She looks good in a catsuit too! :)

When the Series came out on DVD I realized the show had a long history prior to her as well. Ive never seen the sequel but I bet Joanna plays it well.

Funny you should mention UFO, I just got picked up by one yesterday....:p

Seriously, i was a fan of that show as well but didn't realize it was out on DVD, I will have to check that out!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
didn't CBS run this on Fridays on their late movie in '78- alternating every night with Kojak and McCloud, and MacMillan & Wife and the like (mostly Universal product now that i think of it)?

i vaugely remember an episode takeoff on Jaws (gnaws maybe?).

i'm tempted to pick it up, but i still haven't made a dent in my Emma Peel boxed set yet.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 'UFO' show had 26 episodes and is available in two 13 show sets. For a show dating from 1969, the picture quality is incredible. While only 4x3 format, the picture quality is as good as any current release movie. The late 60's 'mod' style with really bright colors probably helps.

As for the New Avengers, I don't know why it isn't at the A&E store. Also I was suprised it wasn't available from Amazon. I was a little nervous it was going to be a region 2 version, but everything turned out OK.

Duane

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't remember "UFO" but I do remember "Space 1999".

Purdey was HOT. I was just a teen at the time. Had to watch and drool every week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.