AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've been doing a lot of reading here as I am in the market for a new AVR. The main reason for the upgrade is to get some newer technology and leverage the audio & HDMI switching for TrueHD & DTS-MA.

I currently have a Denon 3802 and have been extremely happy with it's performance for many years. Not to say I am a Denon fanboy by any means but I'm considering the 3808 as the 3800 seems to be a solid product. I'm really not interested in network capabilities at all but wonder if I should be. The home theatre is pretty much standalone so I really don't think I'd ever network my BD player, AMP or TV. I'd guess 80% HT & 20% music (maybe even a little high), so video processing is important. I thought I read that some were not happy with the processing of the 3808... maybe that has changed.

Any advise? or if there is a better AVR in the same range I'm open to recommendations.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil99 /forum/post/15496172

Hello All,

I've been doing a lot of reading here as I am in the market for a new AVR. The main reason for the upgrade is to get some newer technology and leverage the audio & HDMI switching for TrueHD & DTS-MA.

I currently have a Denon 3802 and have been extremely happy with it's performance for many years. Not to say I am a Denon fanboy by any means but I'm considering the 3808 as the 3800 seems to be a solid product. I'm really not interested in network capabilities at all but wonder if I should be. The home theatre is pretty much standalone so I really don't think I'd ever network my BD player, AMP or TV. I'd guess 80% HT & 20% music (maybe even a little high), so video processing is important. I thought I read that some were not happy with the processing of the 3808... maybe that has changed.

Any advise? or if there is a better AVR in the same range I'm open to recommendations.

Cheers!

If you like the 3802 than the 3808 is a very good and known upgrade path. You will get many more pointers to about 1000 models next in this thread. But there is something like lowering the differences between the old and the new way. The 3808 adds a new gui system, hdmi and the new formats any many more but keeps the many things you are probably used to and expect from the new unit. The video editing is 'less' than what it could be if that is a problem depends on your use and we would need more info before we can really comment on that.

Daniel.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I have had my 3808ci for over a year and have everything set to auto and use hdmi to Denon blu-ray player, hd player, 360 elite and mt DirecTV-no issues. As far as internet connectivity I use a 25' ethernet cable hooked-up to 3808 all the time. Mostly for streaming music from the internet, but its main job is for downloading updates and the latest firmware add-on. That is a real good reason to have internet capabilities to keep the player up to date.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If video processing is important, check out the Onkyo TX-SR876. It has a HQV Reon chip in it which is better than the Faroudja DCDi Cinema in the 3808. You should be able to find it for less than the 3808. It has all the same Audyssey stuff (MultiEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume) too.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Is video processing really all that important anymore? The only signals I send to my HDTV are HDTV signals. And they need zero processing.

My HTPC upscales DVDs to 1080p.

My XBox 360 upscales everything to 1080p.

My PS3 outputs at 720p/1080p.

My HR20-700 DirecTV DVR outputs everything at 720p/1080i/1080p/24

I think that video processing was more important a few years ago than it is now.

The only reason to get a receiver capable of video processing is if you have standard definition sources that you want to upscale. But even cheap DVD players can come with decent upscalers.

I specifically got a Denon AVR-2809ci because I knew it wouldn't mess with or delay HDMI video at all. It does have a Faroudja upscaler for component, but I don't use it.

All I'm saying is take a tally of your video output devices. If they don't output in HD, perhaps you could spend your money better by getting a receiver without fantastic video processing and upgrade your video output devices with the leftover money.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Is video processing really all that important anymore?

Well...according to the OP,
Quote:
...video processing is important

I was just answering his question. And if you can get a receiver that has good video processing and all the features you want for the same price as one with mediocre video processing, why not get an HQV Reon?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15497837

Well...according to the OP,

I was just answering his question. And if you can get a receiver that has good video processing and all the features you want for the same price as one with mediocre video processing, why not get an HQV Reon?

Or better ...

But you are correct, my comment was there are alot of options and if he liked the 3802 the 3808 aint a bad place to start. The video processing is not a easy question you really need to think about what you need there and why.

For the OP. if you want better video than the 3808ci will provide (they aint bad if used well) you want something with abt/dvdo, realta/reon or genum based video chips.

Daniel.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Andrew, actually, I wasn't really replying to what you said.

I was just saying that people should take a careful look at the devices they have and ask themselves if video processing is really important for them, or if that money would be better spent somewhere else.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome input guys... I think you are both right... I probably mis-spoke a bit with my concern bringing up the video processing on the 3808. I just recall some negative threads about it but as you've said it may not be an issue anyway.

Truth is my video source are only:

1.) HDMI Pioneer Blueray (BDP-95FD)

2.) DVI to HDMI Connected Satellite TV (65% HD right now I'd guess)

Both are currently connected directly to my PDP.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Shape: no biggie

I think you're right though. Video chip just gets in the way if all your sources are HD and have good upscalers/deinterlacers.

Only reason to get an HQV Reon is if it's in a price competitive model, all else being equal to other features you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts