Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this is great news.

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting, since I'm in the market for a 4k receiver for a complete HT overhaul. The Onkyo TX-NR7100 may just fit the bill, specs and price-wise. Hopefully these new models won't be a "late 2021 availability" thing.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
SWEET! Dirac in the RZ line glad I didn't pull the trigger on that denon x4500.

So based on their history, do we assume these are the early released lower models and the 9, 11 and hopefully 13 channel big brothers are all coming later 2021?

·
Registered
107 Posts
SWEET! Dirac in the RZ line glad I didn't pull the trigger on that denon x4500.

So based on their history, do we assume these are the early released lower models and the 9, 11 and hopefully 13 channel big brothers are all coming later 2021?
I'm kinda doubting the specs as shown on the C|NET article, as they indicate new models up and down the list to have fewer channels than the models they replace. For example, the TX-NR797 is 9.2 channel but its logical replacement (TX-NR7100) is only 7.2? Highly unlikely.

My assumption is both the TX-NR7100 and the TX-RZ50 are 9-channel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's great to see something official after Dirac was announced for the Onkyo units months ago. They were the budget kings until the rampant HDMI board failures and Denon/Yamaha kinda took over from there. Now the big question is the cost. I'm guessing the Dirac license adds another $300-500 on units (pure speculation). Maybe this is a sign that Integra will also return to the market with their dedicated pre-pros.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I thought Pioneer/Onkyo was dead?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Manufacturers have to pay quite a bit for the license. That's why most use their own AccuEQ, YPAO, & Audyssey. I don't know if Onkyo has brokered a great deal with Dirac, since they do a lot of volume, but there will be an added cost that will be passed to the consumer.
Here are some facts (not speculation)
1. Base models using vanilla Dirac (XMC-2 and NAD 758V3) require an extra $99 for the full version of Dirac
2. Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) costs $499 (for lower priced processors that don't have the full version built in (Monolith HTP1)

I'd love to see a $499 Onkyo with Dirac, but I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd love to see a $499 Onkyo with Dirac, but I don't see that happening.
No, you won’t see a $499 model with Dirac, but assuming the 7100 (with Dirac Live) is the model replacement for the 797 ($899), I doubt you will see a $300-500 price hike. Good luck to Onkyo if that’s the case.

·
Registered
350 Posts
No, you won’t see a $499 model with Dirac, but assuming the 7100 (with Dirac Live) is the model replacement for the 797 ($899), I doubt you will see a $300-500 price hike. Good luck to Onkyo if that’s the case.
At $1,199 it would directly compete with the Denon 4500H. That would represent the $300 price hike I'm speculating from the 797. And maybe with some Black Friday sales or refurb units, it might come down to the sub $700-$800 levels. And that'd be quite an interesting proposition for an entry unit with Dirac (base level with correction up to 400hz)

·
Registered
107 Posts
At $1,199 it would directly compete with the Denon 4500H. That would represent the $300 price hike I'm speculating from the 797. And maybe with some Black Friday sales or refurb units, it might come down to the sub $700-$800 levels. And that'd be quite an interesting proposition for an entry unit with Dirac (base level with correction up to 400hz)
My assumption is the TX-RZ50 is replacing the TX-RZ840 at the $1199 price point.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hope this is a new start for Pioneer. They were incredible when they came on the scene with the Elite line way back when.
Hopefully these new receivers with Dirac will knock Denon back down a few rungs where it belongs, and I'm a Marantz owner.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Yeah it's been a while since they were at the top of the mtn. I loved my 905 and 84txsi's back in the day.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts