AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Those look very intriguing and I loved my Onkyo gear for a long time (and still want to love them) but man would it be hard to shell out that kind of money with the condition they're in at the moment.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yea my Integra gear is still going after 17 years. Of course pre-hdmi gear seems bullet proof but I use it daily for movies or music. Just lost a bid for the a used lx504, now I am glad. Keeping my eye on the rz50 or lx505.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looking forward to seeing what these receivers can do once we get our hands on them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would like to see their Specs.
Nothing but the CNET article, right?
Nothing yet, but CES only starts in a few days, from the 11th we’ll see more info coming I guess.

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Glad to see them resurrected from the grave. Spec wise, they look competitive, but I would wait until people have had them for a few months before jumping in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Catch 22. Don’t buy their gear because they’re failing; guarantee their failure by not buying their gear.
Well said. On a related note, they did take care of the HDMI problem. I for one will surely give them a chance and buy one of the Dirac AVRs. I had a lot of Onkyos including the 800, 875,806 and lastly the 818, which in my opinion was the last great value receiver they made with Audyssey XT32. Subsequent ones were all using their own house EQ curves.
It is quite possible that Dirac will breathe new life to Onkyo/Pioneer and in return, they will make Dirac a more household name instead of a Niche that it is now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still chapped about the failure of my Integra DTR 50.3 that they can't be fixed. I don't see this (same) brand getting my money for the replacement.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had an Onkyo SR805 for about 5 years and never had a problem. Maybe I got lucky.

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
@jsil my buddy had an 809 for 10 years with no issues. He had it on its own shelf, plenty of breathing room all around it and so it could have just been that people with issues had their Onkyos stuffed in a sealed cabinet for years. But again my father in law has had an Elite vsx32 stuffed in a cabinet for years without any issue. 😕

·
Registered
386 Posts
My first HT speakers and receiver were an Onkyo home theater in a box. I gave it to my brother when I upgraded and it's still going strong today, 13 years later. I've been looking at getting an Onkyo lately for that reason. Who knows if they're still built as well though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had an Onkyo 606 that was great until the HDMI issues. However my daughter is still using a TX-8511 and it's going strong. Nice sounding stereo. I'm currently using an RZ-730 in my home theater and I really like it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
A 16-year-old TX-SR702 anchors my cave cinema while a more recent TX-RZ810 is in the big room. Both continue to perform flawlessly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My Pioneer VSX-33 Is still going strong. Never had an issue with it, and it’s inside a cabinet but with plenty of breathing room.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Had no issues with the NR636, NR646, RZ820 or my current RZ840.

Had some changes in my system to 4K and Atmos for the people thinking about why so many changes ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My assumption is the TX-RZ50 is replacing the TX-RZ840 at the $1199 price point.
I REALLY hope you're right on a feature-to-feature match. The TX-RZ840 is what I really wanted to get for my build and would love to see it come back as an updated model. I don't even mind a little price bump but do hope it won't be too much more.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Right now the least expensive way to get Dirac is either NAD T758 v3i or Arcam AVR390. The former has only 3 HDMI inputs. The latter has only one Dirac slot. Both are rated around 60w/channel. Neither one is ideal. Onkyo TX-RZ50, on the other hand will have at least 6 HDMI inputs and hopefully 3 Dirac slots and more than 60W power per channel. I can't see them make it anemic, especially at the RZ level. My hope is that it will be the best overall value for Dirac based AVR. Of course, we will have to wait and see for the full details.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts