AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
@RedHotFuzz yea I can visualize the VP of sales in his office screaming LETS GO!!!!! on the daily zoom calls with Executives team! However in reality I am sure it is literally a covid based equipment/manufacturing/shipping issue. Did you see the video of the cargo ship that capsized off Japan I think? Lost like 500 containers, some filled with batteries and toxic stuff. There goes the sea life in 20 years. The other video was from Long Beach/port of LA where there were hundreds and thousands of containers sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded but there were not enough crane operators to handle the volume. Even worse the AKM chip plant in Japan had a massive fire that set everyone back too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update: Looked again at the preamp outs on the RZ50 and it does look like it can be configured 7.2.4 via that. Happy dance!

I'll be preordering this thing for sure.
Good to hear - thanks all. I hope Dirac’s algorithms would also support 4 presence speakers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Update: Looked again at the preamp outs on the RZ50 and it does look like it can be configured 7.2.4 via that. Happy dance!
The back looks exactly the same as my RZ840, so that almost confirms it is able to do 5.2.4 like I got at the moment!

Reactions: eriksells916

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I jumped off the Onkyo bandwagon after several generations with them (805, 1007, back to a 905) after they dropped Audyssey. Something like the RZ50, for use as pre/pro and to drive Atmos channels, is likely to bring me back after several years with an XT32 Marantz model.

I'll mainly be waiting to see what Dirac version/capabilities are included, microphone compatibility (I already have a UMM-6, so 🤞🤞), and what up-charges are required.

Reactions: Theetjuh

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's unreasonable to think that O&P didn't plan this ahead. After all, Pioneer was reselling Dirac in Japan since 2015, and while it seemed like just another business deal, it seems that Pioneer were planning to include Dirac in their receivers at least since then.
Second thing, it takes time to integrate technology like that, make it as seamless as possible and to work out all issues. It's not a drop-in module that you can just plug in and expect to work immediately.
I think O&P may have wanted to put it on the market last year, but due to Sound United talks, they decided to wait it out.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but it's not unreasonable to think that Sound United planned to string along O&P, perform due diligence and learn their plans. (Due diligence is always under NDAs, but you can't expect the people involved to simply forget all they found out and ignore this in their plans.) It's possible that once they found out O&P don't have any good idea for a product pipeline, they dropped talks deciding they're not dangerous and will fold in a year or two, which gives Denon and Marantz room to breathe.
It's certainly possible that O&P hid their plans to integrate Dirac from SU.

With no/low stock of existing models, I wonder if there's any chance of seeing these new models earlier than promised.
It's a possibility, but Sound United announced their 8K receivers last year with July/August/September availability, and they delivered on time. Yamaha took even longer.
It seems O&P are already pushing ahead by at least a month compared to their competition.

Considering that the reason for low stock is because they wound down production in anticipation of the Sound United deal, they may have restarted production and stopped making all old models altogether and moved immediately to 2021 models. There are some parts which will be common to old and new models and there are some which are unique to old models but can be used for spares instead.

I jumped off the Onkyo bandwagon after several generations with them (805, 1007, back to a 905) after they dropped Audyssey. Something like the RZ50, for use as pre/pro and to drive Atmos channels, is likely to bring me back after several years with an XT32 Marantz model.

I'll mainly be waiting to see what Dirac version/capabilities are included, microphone compatibility (I already have a UMM-6, so 🤞🤞), and what up-charges are required.
So far Dirac required the use of a PC to set up. You use whatever microphone you have along with its calibration file, and run calibration.

I see two potential problems here.
1. Bundling a really good microphone will be expensive. Bundling a hockey puck mike for Dirac will still require to include a calibration file, but those microphones are notorious for uneven quality, so you can't make one calibration file and running calibration for all of them gets expensive.
2. Dirac room correction is not simple. You need a PC, you need a lot of time and it has a steep learning curve. It's not fire and forget like AccuEQ or MCACC. There's a chance O&P anticipated this and worked with Dirac to simplify the process, which raises another point: if it's simplified, can you still do the full measurements like you normally can with Dirac?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm definitely interested in this. My sound system is already set up for either 5.2.4 or 7.2.2. I'm really new to the atmos. A lot of things I've been reading acts like there's not a lot in the upper overhead channels that's being produced. Is that true and would I be better off leaving my system 7.2.2. Everything is well hidden in my walls and the speakers are well done I just don't want to tear things apart again.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Which existing model is the RZ50 the logical replacement for? Trying to decide if the 7100 or the +$200 RZ50 will be the right one for me so I’m able to buy as soon as they’re available.

Am I right to understand the RZ line uses upgraded components, similar to what Sony does with its ES line?

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
So far Dirac required the use of a PC to set up. You use whatever microphone you have along with its calibration file, and run calibration.

I see two potential problems here.
1. Bundling a really good microphone will be expensive. Bundling a hockey puck mike for Dirac will still require to include a calibration file, but those microphones are notorious for uneven quality, so you can't make one calibration file and running calibration for all of them gets expensive.
2. Dirac room correction is not simple. You need a PC, you need a lot of time and it has a steep learning curve. It's not fire and forget like AccuEQ or MCACC. There's a chance O&P anticipated this and worked with Dirac to simplify the process, which raises another point: if it's simplified, can you still do the full measurements like you normally can with Dirac?

The YouTube video Onkyo posted outlined that a puck microphone for basic calibration through a phone app is included, while more in-depth calibration is available with an optional calibrated microphone and Dirac Live PC software. The optional mic looks like a UMIK or the like, so it seems reasonable that it's the traditional Dirac Live software and process, or some derivative of it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, was planning to go for a denon 5.1.4 and xt32 but unavailable.
Smarter to wait for this years onkyos?.
The room correction with Dirac is not plug n play like xt32 and YPAO?.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The YouTube video Onkyo posted outlined that a puck microphone for basic calibration through a phone app is included, while more in-depth calibration is available with an optional calibrated microphone and Dirac Live PC software. The optional mic looks like a UMIK or the like, so it seems reasonable that it's the traditional Dirac Live software and process, or some derivative of it.
The video wasn't posted by Onkyo. It's ridden with advertisements (no self-respecting brand would monetize a youtube video) and it's just a slideshow of available pictures of previous generation equipment.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Maybe, but the 840 is $1199 and the new RZ50 is $1099. Rarely do the direct model replacements drop in price, particularly now that they’re adding Dirac (licensing fee).
Yea how about the rz740. I would think they would release 640/740 first then comes the flagship models later?

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is an interesting development. Looking to upgrade so I can add atmos. Have had a Denon for years which has worked well, except it no longer connects to the internet and was always sketchy when it did.

With all the drama surrounding this year's crop of Denons, might be worth waiting to see how these pan out. If I'm going to upgrade I might as well get the hdmi 2.1 since I don't upgrade often. I also wanted the XT32, but everyone seems to rave about Dirac. Hmm...

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I've not seen anything new, and I've been searching every couple of days. So far just the CNET post, the click-bait-bot-reposts, and the (apparently questionable) YouTube video.

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've not seen anything new, and I've been searching every couple of days. So far just the CNET post, the click-bait-bot-reposts, and the (apparently questionable) YouTube video.
With Onkyo/Pioneer hanging by a thread (and inventory of existing models depleted), you’d think they’d want to prime the pump with info and get potential buyers juiced up for the new models rather than buy from a competitor. I need a new receiver for a home theater revamp and I don’t know if it’s worth a 5-month wait. Convince me, Onkyo.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts