AVS Forum banner

New AVR from Pioneer and Onkyo

625K views 4K replies 361 participants last post by  J. Sauerbrey 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I'm kinda doubting the specs as shown on the C|NET article, as they indicate new models up and down the list to have fewer channels than the models they replace. For example, the TX-NR797 is 9.2 channel but its logical replacement (TX-NR7100) is only 7.2? Highly unlikely.

My assumption is both the TX-NR7100 and the TX-RZ50 are 9-channel.

#9 ·
It's great to see something official after Dirac was announced for the Onkyo units months ago. They were the budget kings until the rampant HDMI board failures and Denon/Yamaha kinda took over from there. Now the big question is the cost. I'm guessing the Dirac license adds another $300-500 on units (pure speculation). Maybe this is a sign that Integra will also return to the market with their dedicated pre-pros.

Reactions: Crashcarson
#15 ·
No, you won’t see a $499 model with Dirac, but assuming the 7100 (with Dirac Live) is the model replacement for the 797 ($899), I doubt you will see a $300-500 price hike. Good luck to Onkyo if that’s the case.
At $1,199 it would directly compete with the Denon 4500H. That would represent the $300 price hike I'm speculating from the 797. And maybe with some Black Friday sales or refurb units, it might come down to the sub $700-$800 levels. And that'd be quite an interesting proposition for an entry unit with Dirac (base level with correction up to 400hz)

#16 ·
At $1,199 it would directly compete with the Denon 4500H. That would represent the $300 price hike I'm speculating from the 797. And maybe with some Black Friday sales or refurb units, it might come down to the sub $700-$800 levels. And that'd be quite an interesting proposition for an entry unit with Dirac (base level with correction up to 400hz)
My assumption is the TX-RZ50 is replacing the TX-RZ840 at the $1199 price point.

#18 ·
I hope this is a new start for Pioneer. They were incredible when they came on the scene with the Elite line way back when.
Hopefully these new receivers with Dirac will knock Denon back down a few rungs where it belongs, and I'm a Marantz owner.

#26 ·
Nothing yet, but CES only starts in a few days, from the 11th we’ll see more info coming I guess.

Reactions: Juan308
#42 ·
I've yet to have an issue with an Elite
My church is using my VSX 03 and I have no idea how old that is now. I have my VSX 23 in the garage (I got it back in 2008 or 2009 maybe)?
My main AVR in my HT is an SC-77...going strong 8 years later. I have a 502 in my living room, and a 103 in my kids room.

I'm not going to say I've been lucky, as I don't think failing is the norm. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. My only concern is...the 502 I have...I just can't get the sound completely to my liking. Which is why it's in the room it is. It's not bad, but I can't get it to reproduce the sound of, say, that VSX 23 or even the 03.

#33 ·
My first HT speakers and receiver were an Onkyo home theater in a box. I gave it to my brother when I upgraded and it's still going strong today, 13 years later. I've been looking at getting an Onkyo lately for that reason. Who knows if they're still built as well though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.