AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought the pioneer 1018 AVR and need help connecting my cable TV to it. I currently have my cable spliced. The main cable connects to a splitter and then one cable goes to the set-top box and then to the TV. The 2nd cable (from the splitter) then goes directly to the TV, which allows me to get HD for local channels. Obviously, I'd like to have this 2nd cable hooked up to my new AVR to get the HD locals (the set-top box doesn't give me HD). However, it's connected via RG6 Coaxial cable (I think), which isn't a connection the Pio 1018 supports. Do I have any options here?

I'm on a limited income, so I'd prefer not to increase my monthly cable bill by upgrading my set-top box/HD package. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I assume you just want the audio from the HD signal on the TV, right? What TV do you have?

Doesn't your TV have a video/audio output of some sort, either optical or HDMI?

If it doesn't you're going to be limited to 2 channel sound as I understand things. I'm quite certain it's going to have at least a stereo RCA output.

If it does, then just run the output to your Pioneer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the help. After investigating, I think I've decided to add phone service to my cable internet package with a new HD-DVR set-top box, all for about $5 less per month total. It seems a much better option all the way around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts