AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a yamaha RX-v765 (7.2) which should be arriving within a week. I dont know much about this avr other than it comes with good reviews. And thats all I need to know. I'm sure this Yamaha is much more than I need and I most likely wont use many of its functions.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my "man cave" which is 20'x35'. I havent bought the tv yet, but it will be no smaller than a 55". When I find the right deal on a television (like on the AVR) I will strike. But now that the AVR is coming soon I need to be pointed in the right direction. Currently I have 3 pair of monoprice 8" ceiling speakers. I'm hoping to use a pair or perhaps two for rear surround with the avr. I havent finished the ceiling in this basement room yet because I'm waiting for the final speaker placement and any wiring that needs to accompany it. So basically I need the main speakers, and a bass. I dont want to get carried away with a top dollar speaker system, since I still need to budget for a new tv, plus just laying out $$$ on the "man cave" itself. I'm pretty much a newbie and just want a decent system with decent sound, and something that will give me a good surround with the tv and blue ray. I'm forty something and I'm not trying to blow my eardrums out of my head. There is just too many different options for a rookie to try and figure out. If I have to mix and match brands, thats fine with me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Your wanting to build a set of speakers or buy some commercially available one's? Just making sure your in the right section before throwing out suggestions.And we need to know a set $$ amount to be able to help you with your best options. Also go for a projector setup since you can run all the wires in the ceiling still. It should cost you less than a 1080p 55" wall mount or DLP style rear projection TV. Thats as long as you dont think you need a $3k+ projector. The optoma projectors are good little units and can be had for $1k and you can build your own screen starting at about $60 up to several hundred $$$. Its up to you!

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperman /forum/post/18224696

I recently ordered a yamaha RX-v765 (7.2) which should be arriving within a week. I dont know much about this avr other than it comes with good reviews. And thats all I need to know. I'm sure this Yamaha is much more than I need and I most likely wont use many of its functions.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my "man cave" which is 20'x35'. I havent bought the tv yet, but it will be no smaller than a 55". When I find the right deal on a television (like on the AVR) I will strike. But now that the AVR is coming soon I need to be pointed in the right direction. Currently I have 3 pair of monoprice 8" ceiling speakers. I'm hoping to use a pair or perhaps two for rear surround with the avr. I havent finished the ceiling in this basement room yet because I'm waiting for the final speaker placement and any wiring that needs to accompany it. So basically I need the main speakers, and a bass. I dont want to get carried away with a top dollar speaker system, since I still need to budget for a new tv, plus just laying out $$$ on the "man cave" itself. I'm pretty much a newbie and just want a decent system with decent sound, and something that will give me a good surround with the tv and blue ray. I'm forty something and I'm not trying to blow my eardrums out of my head. There is just too many different options for a rookie to try and figure out. If I have to mix and match brands, thats fine with me. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest considering getting an HD projector instead of a regular TV. It looks like your room is plenty big for it.

BTW this is a Do It Yourself speaker building forum, are you inquiring about building some speakers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for posting in the wrong area, there are so many different forum topics on this site I got confused.

I havent even given the HD projector a thought. It would work great since the "tv" wall I built is 19' wide. In the center of the wall there is a 8'W x 6'H, area that indents 2' back from the rest of the wall. Kind of a built in entertainment stand, that would work for a screen area.

I will repost this question in the 765 forum and look into the projector, thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts