AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New AVR, need speakers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently ordered a yamaha RX-v765 (7.2) which should be arriving within a week. I dont know much about this avr other than it comes with good reviews. And thats all I need to know. I'm sure this Yamaha is much more than I need and I most likely wont use many of its functions.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my "man cave" which is 20'x35'. I havent bought the tv yet, but it will be no smaller than a 55". When I find the right deal on a television (like on the AVR) I will strike. But now that the AVR is coming soon I need to be pointed in the right direction. Currently I have 3 pair of monoprice 8" ceiling speakers. I'm hoping to use a pair or perhaps two for rear surround with the avr. I havent finished the ceiling in this basement room yet because I'm waiting for the final speaker placement and any wiring that needs to accompany it. So basically I need the main speakers, and a bass. I dont want to get carried away with a top dollar speaker system, since I still need to budget for a new tv, plus just laying out $$$ on the "man cave" itself. I'm pretty much a newbie and just want a decent system with decent sound, and something that will give me a good surround with the tv and blue ray. I'm forty something and I'm not trying to blow my eardrums out of my head. There is just too many different options for a rookie to try and figure out. If I have to mix and match brands, thats fine with me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Not sure the size of speaker you are looking for but if you live near Frys, the Infinity Primus 362 are on sale. Polk Monitor at newegg are also for sale as well. These two offers great bang for the buck. Infinity matching center is PC350 and the Polk Monitor center is CS2.

The cheapest sub I think you should go is Elemental Design but if you must go cheaper...I read good things about Bic and Premier Acoustic, both entry level sub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts